Advice needed re pigeon toes

Halfpass

Visit site
My horse has a pigeon toe on his near side fore and although passed this stage of a vetting with it vet has said that it can cause problems. What sort of problems can it cause? He has never been lame on it and with a fab farrier its actually really hard to see when he is standing. You can tell a little more when you stand behind him and watch him moving. It shocked me that the vet picked this up as i really didn't think it would be a problem as i'm sure many horses are not symetrical just like their owner!!! What advice can I give to people that are viewing him. I am trying to be totally honest. Thanks in advance.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Basically any deformities in the limbs can put unequal pressure on the ligaments and tendons, causing them to break down.
Personally I wouldnt touch any youngster with pigeon toe/s, even if the knee is set correctly and they move relatively straight. In an older horse with a proven track record I would be more likely to take a chance with the toes, maybe a bit of dishing, but definetly not if the knee is offset. Then it is generally a case of if not when they are going to go.

claire1976

Visit site
My horse has one pidgeon toe which she was born with. She is now 14 years old and I've had no problems with her at all. Her farrier sets the shoe slightly to one side to help even her out but because she's always had it she deals with it very well. She does have a slightly odd movement to look at and I supplement her diet to support her but overall you'd never know unless you really looked at it. Interestingly enough she's had 2 foals who were 100% sound with no heriditary pigeon toes. Like you say, even humans don 't have perfect confirmation and horses are the same. If they are born with a slight deformity they have to deal with and compensate quite well for it in the long run. It didn't put me off buying my mare and she 100% perfect in all other ways. I'll never get one like her again and I'm sooooo glad I could see past her imperfection as she has a wonderful, caring nature and no pigeon toe in the world would stop me from buying a horse like her again.Good luck with your decision.

pocket

Visit site
My pony Flyer had pigeon toes and the only problem it caused was the occasional corn to which the farrier sorted out. In his 15 years, he was never lame and competed in dressage, showing and mock hunting a true joy to own, god bless him. Your horse will be fine I'm sure
wink.gif