advice needed

lisaward

Visit site
i have recently spoke to some of the people surrounding my field as they kindly wanted to check it was ok to let off fireworks,well why there they asked me if their 7yr old daughter can help me with the horses??

whilst i appreciate that it is good to keep everyone happy -what is a few minutes?
the little girl has now started talking about when can she come and i am worried i will have her every weekend,also my horses are 3yrs,2yrs and a pregnant 9yr old who is just getting over confidence issues.
i do have a quiet 4yr old who will be fine but i worrry about insurance too.

i am willing to let her come once but how would you try to stop/not encourage her to make it a regular thing ?????

GTs

Visit site
Put them too work - a couple weekends of mucking out or cleaning tack she will not want to come back.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
tricky one. I have had my son's mate asking if he can help with little man, and although he's quiet and fab with kids, I can't risk someone elses kid getting hurt.

I would say make an arrangement of once a fortnight. Let the girl muck out, clean tack, and help you with other chores. Let her groom the 4yo supervised. Explain to the parents there is nothing much else she can do. Your insurance will cover anyone around the horses. Eventually they'll find her a riding school or she'll go off the idea.

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
Personally, I wouldn't have her. I often get keen parents and eager children asking if they can come and help with mine, especially when I have super cute foals. The answer is always no. Unfortunately, we live in a litigious society, and I just don't need the hassle. If I need help, I would rather pay a professional.

jayvee

Visit site
Just play in being a abit thick. Meaning you only thought she wanted to see and stroke your horses. And that is exactly what you done for her. - A one off visit to 'ooh-ahh' the horses a quick pat on the nose etc.. and then it's bye bye!!
If she or parents persist, tell them straight, your horses are not suitable and quiet enough to be around with, and suggest the nearest riding stables.
Remember, you done your 'few minutes' thing so nothing to feel guilty about.

JaneMBE

Visit site
No way. Unless you are babysitter too!
7 is very young to left by parents, I presume they would dump her off as they will have to hang around in the cold and wet.
Explain this and it will put them off!

Salcey

Visit site
Its a hard one - I have to say, I'd be weary of becoming a baby sitter at weekends while they 'pop to town' or something similar. I may sound sceptical but in another life I used to be a teacher and its amazing how many kids I was left with for hours on end when their lesson was only 30 minutes.

flyingfeet

Visit site
I'm allergic to children.

At 7 she isn't going to do anything useful and you will become a free baby sitter.

I'd make excuses and avoid like the plague.. but I'm a wus!

lisaward

Visit site
thanks everyone for comments,fan mail your advice sounds great i think i will try this route.

i don't muck out horses live out 24/7 and the fields are harrowed in the spring and the only jobs she can manage
will take up a lot of time with her being so young

i know it sounds mean but time is precious when you have 28 horses as we have 3 dogs and a job plus winter on its way.
two of my horses are in work too.