Advice Needed

sasquatch

Visit site
So, long time no see. I went to uni, have exams coming up and just under 2 weeks left of this semester.

I am just over 2 hours away from B, so haven't seen him much. He's been in the field since August. When the horses all came in from the field due to weather he had to go back to his stable as he was being very protective of one of the mares and a bit of a bully. As you can imagine, him being on full livery is expensive. Mum looks after him 2 days a week and occasionally checks on him during the week when she can, apparently he's still behaving.

He is still, from what I can tell, not sound. It'll have been a year since April. Still no MRI as insurance seem to always want another vet report, and we sent last one in to them late as uni was last minute and we had a lot to sort so vet report was sent a month after we'd received it (after insurance had requested it) and they now want another which I can't give them. B also won't be insured for his feet from renewal in spring, which is annoying, as we haven't actually claimed anything from them yet.

I haven't seen him, but have asked mum can she lunge him to see how he's moving. She hasn't had the chance this weekend due to snow making it too slippy, but last time she did I thought he still looked off. I have a month off, vet will be coming to see him when I can get them out and I am hoping he has come right. I know not being in work will have made him stiff as well.

Essentially though, I'm not sure what to do. He's turning into a very expensive pet atm, and as harsh as it sounds, I can't really afford him if he can't work as I don't know many people who'd want to share/part loan a horse they can't ride. I'm not sure what to do if he does come sound either, because I know the chances of getting him fit, assessing how much he can/can't do and bringing him back into work and finding a part loaner in a month is unrealistic. So I'm not sure what to do in either situation.

Some advice would be much appreciated!

Merrymoles

Visit site
Don't overthink it at this stage - wait until you have seen him for yourself and the vet has seen him and you can discuss any necessary treatment. As they say in Yorkshire, it could be summat and nowt so it's not worth worrying about it until you know exactly where you are at.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Did he have any diagnosis/treatment before? I can't remember though I do remember discussing hooves.

I've been pondering, I think if he were mine and insurance would pay for the whole MRI I would push for that while still covered and any suggested injections etc. But because you aren't going to be able to do much rehab yourself I think I'd find somewhere he can be turned away until next summer when you should be home for a few months yes? at which point you can assess and test how he is before next winter?

sasquatch

Visit site
Did he have any diagnosis/treatment before? I can't remember though I do remember discussing hooves.

I've been pondering, I think if he were mine and insurance would pay for the whole MRI I would push for that while still covered and any suggested injections etc. But because you aren't going to be able to do much rehab yourself I think I'd find somewhere he can be turned away until next summer when you should be home for a few months yes? at which point you can assess and test how he is before next winter?

he was found to have some slight arthritic changes in his coffin joint in his left front which was treated, once canter was introduced he was still off and vet diagnosed soft tissue damage without an MRI (through process of elimination) but couldn't say what/where he's done as that's what the MRI would be needed for.

I'm just very wary time isn't on my side sadly with insurance deadlines etc, especially as mum can't get to him during the week so it'll be january before vet can come out again and it's a pain to organise things as I'm away. Mum wants to get rid of him (to put it blunty) sooner rather than later due to the money he's costing, but if he's not sound I probably will see if he can go back out again. It'll have been a year in April, and if after a year he isn't right I may just give up my stable and if possible leave him out and retire him (as long as he isn't going to be a bully again - he got very attached to one mare). If he comes sound I don't think moving him to uni will be an option purely on a cost basis, livery in Dublin is expensive and the cost of bringing him down would probably work out the same as if I sent him to someone for schooling/rehab - which could potentially be an option depending on where he is soundness-wise if it was short term, I have a feeling I'm not actually back for more than 3 months over summer and don't know how long rehab and bringing him back to fitness will actually take without having spoken to the vet and having seen how he is myself. It's frustrating at times, as he was sound enough to do in-hand showing (including messing around and pretending he couldn't stand still in his second class after behaving perfectly in his first) and judge didn't pick up on any unevenness at all, but he was definitely still off at the end of August.

The other problem I have is that if any injections etc. would be part of rehab, I won't be covered from April (I think it was April we notified of the arthritis and need for MRI when vet diagnosed it - although insurance said next renewal which is March!) and I know how expensive injections etc. can be. It's all just a bit of bad timing really, if anything it'd nearly be a bit easier if he didn't come right so he could be retired as much as I don't want it to come to that :(

moleskinmum, you're right. until I'm able to see him myself I don't know and mum isn't great with spotting lameness. I think I'm just a bit worried I won't have enough time to work out what to do with him when I'm home too, I like to have plans lol

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
That is why I am suggesting getting the MRI and any treatment now, well ahead of April, does he have his shoes off now? Why can't the vet come while you are home for Christmas? Do you know that he wouldn't be happy enough on a bit of bute and rideable/loanable then? I think at the moment you are probably lacking some info to make too many decisions for him and since April isn't that long to me, F was lame for 6 months after his coffin joint dx then we walked for a good few months after that. I don't see any reason he couldn't go out again, just maybe without any girls they can send them a bit daft ;).

Yes I presumed about 3 months, more than you are going to get at any point over the rest of the year, and no exams to prep for like easter.

Fwiw I do know what it is like trying to make decisions for them when they are a distance away, F is 200 miles away at the moment so I visit once a month or so, check out all his medical issues and discuss what we are monitoring and what we might do with Mum and then repeat the following month. Mum thinks it is a bit nuts when the drive can easily end up being 6+ hours one way but I need to check him out for my own peace of mind!

Sheep

Visit site
If he is field sound (comfortable and happy to be out 24/7) and you have no current ambitions about riding, is it worth considering grass / retirement livery for him? A friend of mine has sent her boy away to a yard just outside Newry I believe, she is very happy with the care he is getting there. Cost wise it is probably similar to DIY/part livery but all their daily needs are taken care of. It might be a lower-stress option for you especially if finance/time is a consideration.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would get him to the vet for the mri before the insurance is up that way you know if there is anything else other than what's already been found, it could be something straight forward and fixable with some treatment, if you can't be there can't you not organise someone to take him for you?