Advice needed

Nikkixxxxx

New User
Visit site
Hi im having issues with my horse when bringing him.in from the field. He can be perfect to catch then have really bad days where he will pin back his ears, snake his head and turn ans poses to strike out on me or whoever is bringing him in. He will always approach in the field to be caught but if he chooses he doesnt actually want to come in he turns instantly. I do alot of ground work with him in the arena. His stable mannere are perfect and he is bombproof. This is his downfall and its a big one. Any advice please

Nikkixxxxx

New User
Visit site
I forgot to mention we got him in October so hes fairly new to us. He was perfect untill we got twp troublesom horses at the yard and he had to defend himself and me as these horses would charge at you. Could je of picked up on their bad behaviour ?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It is great that you can catch him easily, you can build on that. Are you having to get him out of the field with those two horses in it? If so can you train him to come to the gate when you call? You might need to devise a way of making an extra pen just inside/outside the gate, so that you can get him away from those horses quickly and regroup before setting off to lead him. When you are leading, watch his body language and as soon as there is a hint of unwanted behaviour, instruct him to do something, stop/turn/move sideways and then reward him for doing what you said. Keep him focussed on you while you lead him and you stay focussed on him, keeping him looking for the next instruction.

Nikkixxxxx

New User
Visit site
Those two other horses are gone now he was the bottom of the pecking order now he has asserted his dominance with the other horses. He will come to the gate when the others are ready to come in where he is brilliant. Its a massive field and i struggle to get his attention at the gate ge cant hear me it seems to me that he wants to be in charge. He will come in when hes ready and not before :(