Advice needed

mustang7

New User
Visit site
My horse is currently on DIY grazing livery about 5 miles from my home, in the village where I used to live until 3 years ago. To see my horse requires a 30 minute round trip through country lanes which during the winter become flooded, icy or impassible.

This week a DIY livery space has come up where I live now, literally a 4 minute walk from my new home. These spaces are like gold dust and the owner is well respected.

To move or not to move.

My horse is happy where he is and has developed a strong relationship with his field mate. I have lovely relationships with the rest of the yard and everything is relatively straight forward BUT
although the hacking is amazing, there are no schooling facilities. At the new space, the hacking will be over the same countryside but from the opposite direction and there is an area to school and jump. On my way to and from work, I will go past the field where my horse will be kept whereas currently, it is miles away.

Whereas I used to ride out with others, this has dwindled to nothing over the last year and I mainly ride solo - usually towards the place where the vacancy has arisen. I'm meeting and chatting with horse owners in my new village which is VERY horsey and get lots of offers of shared rides and company. In my old yard I used to hire a local menage on top of my livery fees but this is no longer available any more.

In the new space, my horse will be with another horse and have fieldmates still. It will also be £30 per month cheaper.

However I will be changing what my horse has got used to for the last 9 years. I am fairly confident he will adapt but it carries a risk. What should I do?

PurBee

Visit site
New place ticks all your boxes, only thing holding you back is considering will your horse cope and adjust well to the move, as he’s so settled.

Only thing to do is try the move - this place is like gold dust you say, seems a shame to pass up such a rare opportunity...so if after 8 weeks of settling at new place and on the rare chance he’s not doing well, will you have the option to move back to his fave yard?

You know your horse best. He may get ‘buddy sour’ initially, maybe all you’ll deal with, but he’ll have new herd mates to distract him from souring too badly from the get-go.

Sounds like a really nice yard and village....at walking distance...thats quite the dream...enjoy! ?

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I’d move too.

I can’t tell you what a difference it’s made to me to have my horses at home. To be able to pop in whenever I feel like it, has been a game changer. I never have to “go” to see the horses, I can just pop my head in for a few minutes, say hi and have a cuddle and feel human again. And I can do it whenever I like, as many times a day as I like.

Four minutes walk will be the same.

mustang7

New User
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your rounded advice. I know it’s too good an opportunity to miss but dreading telling everyone, especially the owner of his field buddy. I don’t want to rock a boat but going forward this is my new home and it should be my horse’s too.

mustang7

New User
Visit site
I’d move too.

I can’t tell you what a difference it’s made to me to have my horses at home. To be able to pop in whenever I feel like it, has been a game changer. I never have to “go” to see the horses, I can just pop my head in for a few minutes, say hi and have a cuddle and feel human again. And I can do it whenever I like, as many times a day as I like.

Four minutes walk will be the same.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Having had Dave on a yard 20 miles / 45 minutes away to now 2 miles / 5 minutes away has made a HUGE difference for me.
Pony will make new friends & yes, there will be a settling in period, but you will be a constant & if you are relaxed & happy, it will rub off on him.