Advice on buying young horse

G192

New User
Visit site
Hi, I have a couple of years riding experience with my own horse who has been very uncomplicated. There is a young horse for sale in my area with a lovely temperament that I am contemplating buying and backing myself. Looking for thoughts and advice.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
If you are a) exceptionally patient b) very confident with a lot of nerve and c) willing to admit when you need professional help and have the resources to pay for it then I would say you could consider getting a youngster. If you are doubtful on any of the three, please don't.

Groundwork is often neglected with horses and it is a mistake with young horses. Get them really listening to you and obedient on the ground and you will be better set up for backing. I'll leave the more specific advice to others with more recent experience!

G192

New User
Visit site
Ok thanks. My experience is mainly hacking, lessons and I’ve been to a few shows where I’ve done clear rounds on my mare. She’s about 15 and has been really good but I like the idea of training a horse myself from the start. Hoping to get up to a reasonable level competing

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Ok thanks. My experience is mainly hacking, lessons and I’ve been to a few shows where I’ve done clear rounds on my mare. She’s about 15 and has been really good but I like the idea of training a horse myself from the start. Hoping to get up to a reasonable level competing

Some breeds are more forgiving in temperament than others, with your level of experience you really do need to obtain a lot of help with your hopes and wishes for dreams to come to a safe and happy end result.

Apercrumbie

Visit site

What AdorableAlice said. Training a horse how to do things calmly and safely is very different from asking a reasonably well-trained horse to do those same things. Tbh you will have to train yourself/be trained in how to train a young horse. It's important that you keep that in mind.

G192

New User
Visit site
Some breeds are more forgiving in temperament than others, with your level of experience you really do need to obtain a lot of help with your hopes and wishes for dreams to come to a safe and happy end result.
I know one of the parents is warmblood, not sure about the other

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I know one of the parents is warmblood, not sure about the other

Warmblood wouldn’t be on my list of easy or forgiving in all honesty. They are performance bred and tend to need a job, but all horses are individuals of course.

Pippity

Visit site
What AdorableAlice said. Training a horse how to do things calmly and safely is very different from asking a reasonably well-trained horse to do those same things. Tbh you will have to train yourself/be trained in how to train a young horse. It's important that you keep that in mind.

Yep, I went from a 20yo who made me think I knew what I was doing, to an extremely patient and forgiving 6yo, who's made it very obvious to me that I've got a lot to learn. I had considered getting an unbacked horse (with my instructor's approval) but I'm very glad I didn't. Knowing how to press the buttons is very, very different from knowing how to install the buttons.