Advice on clipping required....

Morag4

Visit site
After some advice, my lad is finding this time of year hard going, he's hot, itchy (combo sweet itch and getting hot /losing winter coat) sweats up when hacked out (not foaming up but even on cool mornings he sweats lightly with just walking).
We hack out about 5 times a week.
My question is, is there any good reason not to clip at this time of year (never had a horse clipped before )would clipping help keep him more comfy, I was hoping to do a bit of showing but its not the end of the world if not, his comfort is more important.
Or has anyone got any other suggestions.
due to the sweet itch he is rugged when not ridden.

eggs

Visit site
In your situation I would clip to help keep the pony comfortable. Years ago there were all sorts of 'rules' about when the last last clip should be and not to clip after a certain date but these days it is not so rigid.

DD265

Visit site
For the past 2-3 years we've clipped my boy in April - he hasn't needed it yet this year with it being colder.

We do a strip about 5" wide from his jaw to his sheath, which we call his go faster stripe, and it makes all the difference.

If you have a plaited or hogged show horse you could clip everything off - just make sure you do legs as well so it all blends in

Deltaflyer

Visit site
I'm so glad someone else has asked this question as Sam is in the same boat. His coat is ridiculously thick even though he was fully clipped three times before Christmas. He's itchy and uncomfortable and gets irritated when he gets hot when being ridden. I think I might go for it this weekend :)

oldie48

Visit site
We used to clip our event pony throughout the year as he was part connie and even with a summer coat he got too hot when worked hard. He was just so easy to keep clean (grey) and he was comfortable.

Shay

Visit site
I keep all of mine fully clipped year round - although some need it doing more frequently than others! We don't show so that doesn't matter - but with a full clip I don't think you could really see anyway. They event or SJ in the summer and hunt in the winter so it is hard work and they benefit from not having to run around in the equivalent of a sauna suit! Mind you - costs a fortune in rugs.

Merlod

Visit site
Just from the other side of the coin, I was riding out a horse for a lady last summer, one day she decided to full clip him and from then on I could feel how much more agitated he was by flies

Morag4

Visit site
Thank's to everyone for your replies and Merlod I hadn't thought of that, he is already a very very sensative lad with flies, have had to get a sheet to ride in when the flies are particularly bad.

Might go for a partial clip and see how he goes, will take a pic and post if I go ahead and get it done.

Cheers everyone xx

MissTyc

Visit site
I'm abut to clip an itchy one for its owner. It's so unhappy. It will be happier with a full clip and a sweet itch rug to protect until the summer coat catches up.

I would go for a full clip at this time of year, if you're going to do it.

Equi

Visit site
I clip mine coming into summer. Minis and heat + coat don't mix well. The only one i'm not clipping is my pregnant mare because i don't want to have to rug her. But im grooming her like something demented.