Advice on euthanasia

WarriorOfTheNine

New User
Visit site
What are everyone’s thoughts and opinions on putting a horse to sleep due to your financial situation?

I have a 22 year old warmblood that I’m struggling to afford, I couldn’t sell or loan him as he isn’t ridden due to arthritis. He’s also struggling to keep condition on and is suspected to have cushings (waiting for test results to confirm).

I love my old boy to bits, but I feel it’s unfair to ship him off to someone else. He’s gone from home to home his whole life and has finally found a steady home with me for the last 7 years. It’s just that worrying so much about him and the money is taking its toll on me and I feel like I’m really struggling to stay afloat.

Is it kinder to pts now while he’s still happy and (relatively) healthy?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would not disagree with you at all, he is a fine old age and IMO it is better to PTS while they still have a quality of life.

Reading the situation, you are not thinking of PTS due to your financial situation, but because you are ensuring your much loved horse will not fall into the wrong hands.

If he were a healthy 7 year old I would think differently, but he is not. I don't think it would be the wrong decision even if you had cash to spare. You are considering PTS as he is 22,

"he isn’t ridden due to arthritis. He’s also struggling to keep condition on and is suspected to have cushings (waiting for test results to confirm)."

You are simply doing the right thing. I suspect the guilt over money is just clouding the decision.

meleeka

Visit site
If he’s positive for Cushings that could mean more expense, although you may be able to cut down feeds if he’s medicated. I wouldn’t judge anyone for ensuring the horse doesn’t get passed around or end up suffering. They are supposed to bring is enjoyment and if that’s not happening I don’t think it’s a bad idea at all.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
You have given him a great 7 years, Prascend is a very expensive drug and it's not a cure, it just treats the symptoms while the disease progresses in the background. So, if you feel that at this stage the best thing to secure his future is pts, I would support your decision. Much better that than you have to compromise your own health and the horse's because you are struggling financially.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I agree with the above too. Especially if he has cushings. It's expensive to medicate and not a cure, can have some undesirable side effects and can take a while to get the right dose. You're allowed to choose not to put yourself and him through it. You're allowed to not bankrupt yourself or cause your own health to suffer. As someone said he's 22, he's had a good innings.

It's a hard decision and it is one in which circumstance and finance will often play a part even if people don't always admit it. So don't feel guilty that finances are a consideration... that's ok.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would also agree with your decision in my opinion it's far better to have an older horse pts than be given away and passed from pillar to post and having no control over there fate, please don't feel bad about it and I am sorry your in this situation.

fusspot

Visit site
You would be being a very sensible and unselfish owner by letting him go.There are hundreds of healthy horses out there that are having trouble finding a home.If yours has already been passed around a lot,cannot be ridden and has other medical issues-you would be doing the most sensible and correct thing by him by letting him go.I had no hesitation last week in letting my boy go-miss him terribly but know it was right thing which vet confirmed.He had been on Metformin for just over a year costing me nearly £70 a month on meds let alone all the feed etc.He hadn’t been worked for 3 years, but was happily going out for a good few hours everyday.From just after Christmas we started having foot problems again and went down with Laminitis overnight.I decided straight away to let him go-he was never going to have any quality of life,I was struggling to get him looking good and he was starting to cost me a fortune -I didn’t begrudge him that if he could lead a nice life but he couldn’t.You will always get some saying you aren’t doing the right thing-but they are people that aren’t looking at it from the horses benefit.

Carrottom

Visit site
Totally agree it is fine. Although you will be upset you will probably feel a sense of relief too. No reason at all to feel guilt.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Absolutely the responsible and correct decision in my mind - as someone else said if you were talking about a 6 year old my response would be very different. How wonderful that he has had so many happy years with you to make up for the negative past he had before you came into his life.
Sorry you are in this position OP but please rest easy this is certainly a kind, responsible and correct outcome for him no matter the financial implications for you, apart form the financial aspect IMO that you are doing the right thing anyway :)

windand rain

Visit site
Absolutely the right thing to do it is our responsibility to do the right thing and while he is relatively happy is the best time to let them go better a month too early than a day too late. Horses have no sense of future and he will know nothing about it. Forget the financial problem and look at it as a health issue its just unfortunate that both have come at the same time which makes it likely you will feel guilty. Don't it is the best thing for him

sportsmansB

Visit site
It is 100% the right thing to do, and try not to let the financial guilt get in the way
It would be much worse for him if you found him a 'companion' home which subsequently buted him up and sold him as a 16yo hack... and that definitely does happen.
You have given him great twilight years and should see this as your last favour to him, not a disservice at all.
Of course if we all won the lottery and had endless money for treatments and 500 acres things might be different - but thats not the case for most of us so we have to make responsible decisions within our means.

The Trooper

Visit site
I'm just going to speak my mind, i've re typed the started of this comment a few times and can't get it to come across as I would like. What I am writing is positive and in no way critical of you as an owner OP.

But his ridden career is over due to arthritis and he is really too old to be anything other than a companion and typically people want good doers for companions. You are looking after his welfare for a number of reasons...

1. You are struggling to afford him as is.
  2. Any diagnoses with any condition will (likely) result in more expense and further strain your finances.
  3. If you can rehome him, he's not guaranteed to land on his feet at a nice retirement home.
  4. If you cannot afford to give him the care he requires you have a duty to limit/alleviate his suffering (current and/or future).
He is your horse, you have owned him for 7 years, you know him and you know what is best for him.

There are arguments for the both sides but ultimately it is down to you. Do not let us or anyone else influence you. You know what is best.

Take care OP and all the best.

brightmount

Visit site
My girl was 22. Cushings tests came up negative although she had all the symptoms. Last winter was a monumental struggle with constant abscesses, leading to an acute attack of laminitis, her first ever and her last, as there was nothing that could be done except PTS.

I would have spared her this if I could have seen the future. For a 22 year old with Cushings that is beginning to struggle, I think pre-emptive PTS is an act of kindness.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I think there’s always a factor of guilt involved in putting to sleep a animal in a non emergency situation.
Yours is money, a thread I just read was about a cat and owner who wanted to travel.
I’ve often thought I can’t do it now because of x, y, z
There’s never a perfect time but I do believe the best time for the animal is before it’s an emergency situation!