Advice on feeding/ grass/ hay please....

magichorse

Visit site
Hi, I wondered if I could have your thoughts on my Boy's diet, please? He is 15hh welsh cob and currently looks to be in the 'right' condition (my RI agrees)

He is out during the day from 7am-6pm on poor grazing with a slice of hay in his shelter. At around 6pm he goes into the other field with much better grazing for about an hour and a half. He is then brought in (at 7.30pm ish) Overnight he has a slice and a half of Horsehage Blue. His 'feed' morning and night is a small handful of chop and a small handful of pasture mix.

Any thoughts/ advice welcome. Thank you :)

JoBird

Visit site
I think you are doing a grand job! He is getting adequate and varied forage plus the vitamins from the pasture mix and the good grass. Welsh cobs tend to be good doers but it is great that he is having hay, grass and haylage to add interest. If he looks perfect then you are doing a perfect job!

magichorse

Visit site
Awww thank you! I asked because I am paranoid about him getting laminitis- he hasn't had it before *touch wood* but so many horses do, and he is a good doer. It's such a balancing act!