Advice on foal handling please

Bosrebel

Visit site
Hi
Please could you advise on how to react to my foals behaviour... We have only had him 7 days and already he allows me to pick up all four feet and pick them out..he has been pretty much unhandled until now... he is 6 months old by the way.. however, when i am brushing his legs he kicks out with his leg at the brush, today he even knocked the brush out of my hand sending it across the yard! I know its only natural to want him to do this.. as this is how he'd rid himself of a predator in the wild, but i dont know how to react... do i just ignore and carry on?.. shout? slap him on the bum?...
Thanks in advance.
smile.gif

Tia

Visit site
It's fairly normal behaviour for a baby to do this. Everyone has their own ideas of what to do, so I will just say what works for me. Any foal who raises his foot to me is told off firmly and I will square them up whilst raising my voice slightly. Make yourself look BIG and look them directly in the eye!

Works every time for me.
smile.gif

Personally I would never raise my hand to a little one as you can store up problems for the future.

Jellicle

Visit site
i would do as Tia says but also consider going back a bit in grooming - maybe using a soft brush or cloth on his legs for a few days until he is used to it.

Fleur100

www.welhamstud.co.uk
I breed horses and would never advocate squaring up a foal at this stage. The fact that he lets you pick out his feet is a sign of trust. The sensation of a brush down his leg is strange & not 'normal' behaviour.

Give it time, take it slowly and brush down the leg to a level he is comfortable with, extending it over a period of time.

Bananaman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
Yes, I echo fleur here.

Although it is unacceptable behaviour to kick out, we have to remember this foal is previously unhandled and must learn to trust yet respect but not fear humans.
The fact that you can pick out all four feet is a good sign and I just feel you need patience and to spend time stroking your hand all over his leg, starting high then getting to wherever he is not happy with gradually. Then progress to a soft cloth, then a soft brush, nothing too prickly!

Reward good behaviour with soothing words and ignore bad.

Of course there will come a time when he will possibly need a 'squaring up' but I think it is too early yet and you will risk losing his trust in you.

claire1976

Visit site
I agree with Fleur100. Personally when I've handled youngsters I used a stick with a piece of cloth tied around the end and used that to brush up and down the legs.
This means I am at a safe distance should the foal strike out and means I can stroke several times in different places getting them used to being touched. I build it up gradually - if the youngster allows a few strokes and behaves then stop at than and try a bit more the next day. Once the foal has learnt to accept being touched with something then you can move onto a few strokes with a soft brush.
IMO foals need gradual sympthatetic (firm but fair) handling if you want them to grow up into confident settled horses with respect for the owner. The intention should not be to frighten such a young animal- all experiences at this age should be rewarding for them.

Elmere

Visit site
My foal kicked me a couple of times when she was younger and i just ignored it then but once she had gained her confidence i gave her a smack, in my opinion 6 months is old enough to be learning whats right and wrong, i would definitly not ignore him, to start with shout as soon as he does it, like say 'ahh' or something like that so he knows what hes being told off for, do this a couple of times then if he persists give him a tap, just make sure he doesn't get wound up too much or get confused(and don't be fooled by the cute little face), if he keeps doing it try to end on a good note and leave it for the day then try it again the next day, good luck and don't let him push his luck, how are they supposed to know if they aren't taught, ignoring him will only make it more difficult in the long run!

Elmere

Visit site
Also this thing about trust, my foal trusts me more than any foal ive ever seen with anyone, she does everything, comes galloping up when i arrive, no food just because she loves me, she will load, feet trim, lead at shows perfectly, at North of England she went across the massive ring behind about 50 horses where she couldn't see mummy at only a couple of months old, she lets me do anything with her and has been led on a very busy main road, it had to be done, she lets me lead her away from mummy in the pitch black, wherever i went she'd follow, lets me lie down with her sleeping, she's rugged up and i can touch her anywhere, even with a plastic bag and she won't mind and she's been bathed several times, she made me laugh today as some surveyors came to the field with one of those tripod things and she was rubbing her bum against them and when tractors go past she'll chase them lol

Bananaman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
But I'm guessing from what you are saying that your foal was handled from birth.

It can be very different with one that has been almost unhandled and is now 6 months.
When I said to ignore bad behavior, it was until the foal has developed the nec. trust to be able to accept the growl or maybe a shake of the headcollar or whatever you choose to do, without turning into a nervous wreck.

All my foals are/ have been as you describe, in fact I more often have to teach them to respect my space and not treat me as they would another horse.

I have worked on studs for years and seen all sorts of foals from the very timid/wild to the in your face/ bolshy ones.
They all turned out OK!

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Yes i agree with fleur, we used to breed horses, and as is mentioned you cant let them be too cheeky, but they are very young and baby ish at that stage, and you cant expect too much. It sounds like normal behaviour to me, just take your time and keep at it, going gently, it does sound like you are doing well so far. Just use something very soft and continue and reward for the good behaviour, good luck
smile.gif

Tia

Visit site
Perhaps your foals aren't as big as the ones I have here? One is 6 months old and already standing at 14hh - that's big enough to be told not to kick.

The poster hasn't said what size of foal we are talking about though so yes if her foal is only a tiddly little pony-foal, then talking to it is probably more suitable.

Regardless of the size of the foal I certainly wouldn't ignore this behaviour, which is indeed quite normal behaviour for a foal of this age - if a foal kicks out at an older member of the herd then it would be reprimanded, not ignored.

As can be seen from this thread, everyone has their own ideas on what works for them.
smile.gif

Bosrebel

Visit site
Thanks everyone, sorry i didnt put his height... hes about 13hh..

I just want to make sure i "get it right", as a simple mistake in handling can cause problems later on.. He has come on in leaps and bounds in only a week.. he comes over for his feed and will even come for a chat later on when no food is invloved, so i'm really pleased.

I also wanted to ask about separation issues... there are only 3 horses in the field, and i like to ride out with my friend, but now feel reluctant to do so as i dont want him left alone in the field, (he cant see any other horses as we are in a pretty isolated place), How do i help him get used to being alone for an hour or so...

Tia

Visit site
Once again just my opinion and what works for me; best advice is take things very slowly.

When I am teaching little ones to be comfortable on their own, I start with just taking the horses out of the field and having the foal in the field on his own. Graze the other horses right at the fence line for a few minutes, preferably often and keep the separation short to begin with. Once the foal accepts this, take the horses a little further away but still in view of the foal, then you can rush back to him if he gets overly concerned. Keep doing this and then when he is happy with it all, start riding horses again in view. Each day do it for slightly longer and going just a little further afield. When he is content with this, you can start taking the horses out of view....again only for a few minutes at a time to start with. Gradually make the time out of sight, longer.

He might surprise you, some foals aren't really that bothered and you can be out and about quite quickly; whilst others find it very scary to begin with and your riding out will have to take a bit of a back seat for a while.

Good luck - do what makes sense to you - and enjoy your foal.
smile.gif

emmajanerushton

community.webshots.com
AWWWWW Bless i have put myself in this situation AGAIN, done it once and have a fab rising 3 year old now have a naughty 6 month old Colt ! Keep touching and showing new things, rub all over sit in stable and talk to them and just gain trust as that is the key behind all handling, its good fun, and being firm and consistant will help you do the best for your foal, any pictures ???

filly190

Visit site
I agree totally with Tia, I have a yearling and there is no kicking out etc because I have handled her firmly. They are so easy to teach at this age, and it really leaves you in good stead for the future.

Get the manners taught now and you will never regret it.

Bosrebel

Visit site
As requested.. a picture of my foal and my little boy, who adores him...

Emmajanerushton... we only have a field and a small wooden corrall for feeding... i think he would get stressed as he could see us leaving him behind..

andy003.jpg

Bosrebel

Visit site
oh wow he/she is lovely, and looks nice and clean and tidy! unlike mine! LOL

They say we are in for some awful blizzards etc!... are you going to rug your foal? mine lives out 24/7... will they cope ok without rug?!.. I must admit i havent rugged my mare yet, which is unheard of for me!.. i've never not rugged a horse in winter before...

amandaco2

Visit site
take things slowly.maybe even put a sponge or cloth on a stick and use that to stroke his legs.dont do it too lightly foals are very ticklish!!that way you can keep the pressure on his leg firmly so he realises you wont be shaken off but also it wont hurt.
my filly wasnt bad at all.i just used my hand at first and then brushed all over the tops of her legs and then gradually worked down so she was still comfortable at each stage.