Advice on foal rug sizes!

_jetset_

Visit site
Hannah is due on 2nd March so little foalie oalie will need a turnout and possibly a stable rug as it is usually freezing at the time if year... BUT, I don't know what size to order????

Thinking of the Weatherbeeta ones...

Hannah is a 16.2hh IDxTB and Pro-Set is a 16.2hh BWB (but looks quite fine):

Hannah, 5 months in foal:
HannahSeptember2006003.jpg

Pro-Set:
12a75d85.jpg

webpro-canter.jpg

Elmere

Visit site
Well my foal is about 12hh now at around 7 months old and a wider breed and she's in a 4''6, maybe a 4''3?

If she's in it'll be fine without a rug though
smirk.gif

Zebedee

Visit site
Leave it until "it's" born. Impossible to tell what size the foal will be, & depending on the weather probabally won't go out for a few days anyway. There's always the miniature pony rug route these days, so once "it" has arrived you'll have no problem finding a rug the right size.

MillionDollar

Visit site
Love that top pic of you and Hannah.
TBH i would leave it till its born then you know right size and see if you actually want any rugs at all. I know someone who breeds TBs and they never have rugs on and they are out 24/7, and of course born from Jan onwards.
Although on the other hand i do think its a good idea foals wear rugs early on then they don't have problems later on.
But its up to you really, just see how foal is.

S_N

Visit site
TBH, I'd leave it till 'IT' is born! Look at Hector. Dam a shade under 16.2hh MW WB, Sire a shade over 16hh LW/MW TB. At 5 weeks old his bottom was hanging out of a 3ft 9ins PINK (
blush.gif
) foal rug. Now, at 8 1/2 months old, he is nearly big enough to fit into B's rugs in body length (wither to tail) !!!!!!!!!!

Tia

Visit site
Just to let you know; the foals who are here at the moment all have Weatherbeeta's and they are working fantastically well. This is the make I will be buying when the time comes - I also have no idea what size to get so will wait till baby is born.

Good luck with everything.
smile.gif

SusanFlynn

Visit site
If you need foal rugs, please PM me, my friend had 3 unexpected foals born late last year Nov & Dec . The horses had come from Argenetina in foal and not planned.
So their summer was our winter.

She did buy rugs but they wintered out with their mums fine. The rugs were not used at all. So they are brand new but not required. You will be pleased to know thay have all come on superbly.
They were foaled outside as well. With no intravention at all but checked over by her vet.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
The only time a foal is likely to have a rug on at my yard is if it is particularly harsh weather - ie. hammering down with rain, windy etc. Having said that if the weather is that bad it is more likely to be kept in.

Infact, I don't think I've every seen one on tbh, with the exception of this year's little man - who was recovering from a severe bout of diahorea (sp), and did wear one for a day or two.

filly190

Visit site
I bought a Robinsons own rug with hood for my yearling, after trying loads, this one did fit very well.

If you find the straps too long, which is often the case, you can get them stitched and altered.

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks everyone... I just remember someone saying that a foal is not waterproof in its first few weeks of life, and March is usually a very cold and wet month. I don't really want to be keeping them in 24/7 (they cannot be turned out in the school as it is being redone and will be gorgeous by then) so even if it only for an hour, I would like to get them both out every day.

Thanks,

Rebecca

S_N

Visit site
I have been told that as a rule of thumb, a foal's back should stay dry for the first month of life - not sure on the reason and I know plenty of people who would scoff at that! However, IMO, being born at the time of years yours will be, an ickle rug is a good idea!

sallyf

Visit site
We usually have 3 ft or 3ft 3 for the first size depending on the size of the foal.
But they do grow out of them so quickly.
If you go for a 3ft 3 and its to big you can put a tuck in the neckline as they will soon fill it out.
foals born early in the year are supposed to have a lower birth weight .

amandaco2

Visit site
beyonce was born mid march and i did have some rugs for her.but when she was first born i just put her out naked twice a day for an hours or so (it was bitterly cold we had snow drifts the week before!but she was super hairy anyway and she didnt go out during heavy rain)she was so tiny when she was born (aww making me so sobby now!) and lively i didnt want to risk putting a rug on just in case it slipped, and as she was only out for an hour or two at a time she didnt get wet through-if she was wet i towelled her off and she just went to the milk bar to warm up!

she had a 3ft6, 3ft9 and 4ft3 rug.she fitted the 3ft6 rug aged a 2 weeks- 1month, she had it on if it was cold(ie hailing or wet) she was out in the daytime.and when she first started to go out at night she had it on then if it looked like rain.
then she was naked day and night(unless the weather was realy bad-i checked out the bbc weather page as it shows what the raina nd temperature is like where you are really accurately!i got abit compulsive about it in fact lol) from the start of may i think or possibly a bit earlier!she usually lay down after coming in so i chucked a blanket over her if i was worried(which i was for the first 3 weeks!LOL)

shes out of a 15.2hh dam and the sire is 16.2hh but both the dam sire and sires sire are big and throw big(think 17.2hh!)
she was 14hh at 7 and half months old and totally outgrown all her rugs!

i did buy the rugs(she had 2 4ft stable rugs too) before she was born, and she also had 3 headcollars before she was concieved....i get very excited about things!!

aww im feeling all excited for you and hannah now!i can remember it all so well.i hope it all goes super smoothly