Advice on going to view a horse?

Visit site
Hi guys!

I have recently been looking into buying a horse because I have been riding since I was really young and have done pony club, loaning and have worked on a few different yards and now I feel I can take on the responsibility of a horse.

What I want to know is what you guys think are the things to look out for when going to view a horse for the first time. E.g. what questions to ask and certain things to look for in the horse or maybe even the seller?

I have a good amount of knowledge on when it comes to actually owning a horse but picking the right one is also very important.

I also don't have anyone I could bring with me for example an instructor or horsey friend because they are all a lot younger than me and seem to have others do all the dirty work, if you get what I mean. They have a lot of money.

So what are the things I should look out for? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks x

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Before I opened the thread, I was thinking that the most important thing is to take someone with you! Are you a member of Pony Club/Riding Club, or any other horsey group? You definitely need to find someone to go with you. If you can't find someone horsey take a non-horsey friend/relative who will be able to listen to what is said to you and at least know if it is consistent.

pixie27

Visit site
I would really, really recommend taking someone experienced with you - who will you have lessons with once you've bought the horse? Can they come with you? I would have made some shocking decisions had I not taken a riding instructor or more experienced friend with me. Can instructors from PC or yards you've worked on come along?

Firstly, be 1000000% honest with yourself. Over-horsing yourself is potentially the worst thing you can do. I've done it and it was a real struggle to (sort of) come through to the other side. Get something that suits your ability and isn't going to knock your confidence - this is where taking an RI is useful.

When you arrive, see if you can see him caught from the field, tied up and tacked up so you can spot any issues - e.g. bad to catch/saddle etc. Look for any tell-tale marks like a sweaty girth area or around the ears - might show that he's already been lunged or exercised before you arrived. Try to check over legs etc for any lumps and bumps (this is where someone more experienced might spot something before you - not sure of your experience level though).

I always chat about the horse, but usually if you've read the advert and spoken to the seller, you should have a good idea of how it is to load/shoe/vet/hack etc. If there's any questions the advert raised, ask them - but always better to ask these before going to view as the answers might put you off.

Ask to see the horse ridden before you get on. If anything puts you off, don't feel you need to ride too. I prefer to politely say 'no thanks, not for me' and walk away rather than wasting time. If you want to jump, ask to see it jumped. Same with hacking - if you can see it out on the road or hack it yourself, that's fab. I always try to if time/place allows.

Trying out horses can be quite daunting - I hate it and much prefer to have moral support with me! Going alone -especially for your first horse - might not be a great idea. Take lots of videos so you can remember afterwards/show friends or RI. Don't buy the first one you see, even if you love it (I've done this, but did view another between first and second viewings)! Try to see a few to get an idea of what you want - height/build wise.

Ask to see the passport and enquire whether it's seen the vet recently/regularly and what for.

Will you have a vetting done? I'd definitely recommend this, especially if you're going alone.

More experienced people will probably have more to add, but that's what I've picked up over the years.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Sister and I still talk and laugh about the mare who had apparently got the scrapes on her legs from playing with other horses, then a few minutes later was rather full of herself 'because she hasn't been turned out much'.
We were pretty sure that she had been bought at ex-racer auction, scraped herself on the ramp, getting off the wagon and had only been on the yard a couple of days.
We thanked the owner, told him that she was too forward going for what we wanted (she was for a novice OH to share) and left without sitting on her, lol!

Shay

Visit site
Pixie27's advice is spot on. It really does help to take someone with you - two pairs or eyes are better than one. And you cannot watch the horse from the ground whilst you are also riding it. If you can't find anyone else approach your PCDC or CI and ask them. If you have an A tester in your branch ask them. If nothing else have them video the horse as your ride (having seen it ridden first!).

Research the horse on line too. It is harder if they have a generic passport name and no history but mostly you can find them listed somewhere. Does the history you find on line match the horse you have? If it is for competition really do your research - not just wins but entries without placings. Speak for former owners. If it competed for a club at some point speak to them. Obviously less relevant if not for competition though!

Watch both the horse and rider in the first section. Is the horse sound and forward in all gaits? Does it fall out / through etc? Look at the rider. Are they hunched forward tense? Are they using a lot of leg, wearing spurs etc? If you've asked to see it jump where does it take off? Was it rushed or pushed into the fence? Did it tow the rider? What faults did you see that you need to know if it was how the rider was or how the horse is innately. This is often where two sets of eyes come in too. What did your mate see you didn't?

Have a plan on what you are going to do before you get on. You say you've done PC, have you done your B and B+? You get given a fairly good riding plan for an unfamiliar horse in those. There is nothing worse than getting on and thinking "now what do I do.." Being watched ride someone else's horse is a bit daunting anyway. You'll have most of your plan in advance but then also incorporate whatever you say initially and you want to check out.

Shay

Visit site
Pixie27's advice is spot on. It really does help to take someone with you - two pairs or eyes are better than one. And you cannot watch the horse from the ground whilst you are also riding it. If you can't find anyone else approach your PCDC or CI and ask them. If you have an A tester in your branch ask them. If nothing else have them video the horse as your ride (having seen it ridden first!).

Research the horse on line too. It is harder if they have a generic passport name and no history but mostly you can find them listed somewhere. Does the history you find on line match the horse you have? If it is for competition really do your research - not just wins but entries without placings. Speak for former owners. If it competed for a club at some point speak to them. Obviously less relevant if not for competition though!

Watch both the horse and rider in the first section. Is the horse sound and forward in all gaits? Does it fall out / through etc? Look at the rider. Are they hunched forward tense? Are they using a lot of leg, wearing spurs etc? If you've asked to see it jump where does it take off? Was it rushed or pushed into the fence? Did it tow the rider? What faults did you see that you need to know if it was how the rider was or how the horse is innately. This is often where two sets of eyes come in too. What did your mate see you didn't?

Have a plan on what you are going to do before you get on. You say you've done PC, have you done your B and B+? You get given a fairly good riding plan for an unfamiliar horse in those. There is nothing worse than getting on and thinking "now what do I do.." Being watched ride someone else's horse is a bit daunting anyway. You'll have most of your plan in advance but then also incorporate whatever you say initially and you want to check out.