Advice on loading & loading issues

Morgan123

Visit site
sorry just seen your note above about feed - if she's not comfortable enough to eat high value feed in the trailer, that suggests she's more stressed than you realise about going in. In which case I'd go a few steps back from what I said at first (this is where I had to start with my one), which is working out at what point she IS comfortable - which could be 10m from the trailer, and starting from there, feeding there daily and letting her get used to being near it with no stress - always tiny micro steps. Have a look at connection training, loads of videos and advice there from people who've been through this. It takes a while but is worth every single second.

9tails

Visit site
Do you know anybody that practices Parelli WELL that you could ask? I taught mine, with the help of a non-fluffy non-scared Parelli enthusiast. It's a method to get horses self loading, I stand to one side of the ramp, she walks on and I do up the breech bar. The trick is to encourage the horse to make the decision to go on, mine won't load if I lead her up now. I couldn't really tell you how to do it, because it's timing and reading their body language more than anything else. I've seen it done wrong a lot as well as rushed, which doesn't make for happy viewing.

oldie48

Visit site
How frustrating for you! i don't know if this is helpful or not but I used the Richard Mawell controller halter which came with a video. I did all the ground work until I was confident that he horse understood the consequences of putting pressure on the halter before I attempted to use it to load. The horse in question would step onto the ramp and then run backwards, usually taking me with it. I guess that's a bit like the going on but not tying up. I found it stopped the running backwards completely, the horse tried it once and then gave in completely. I'm just thinking that if you could make her accept that running backwards is a complete no no, then you might find she'll go on and give you time to get the breech bar up. Good luck, you sometimes need the patience of a saint with horses. FWIW this horse was not frightened and travelled perfectly once properly on the trailer.

Regandal

Visit site
Watch the TRT vids on YouTube. You’ll need to watch the basic groundwork ones first, repeatedly, until you get completely how he controls the horses feet and reduces stress levels. Then the loading ones.

Joyous70

Visit site
Do you know anybody that practices Parelli WELL that you could ask? I taught mine, with the help of a non-fluffy non-scared Parelli enthusiast. It's a method to get horses self loading, I stand to one side of the ramp, she walks on and I do up the breech bar. The trick is to encourage the horse to make the decision to go on, mine won't load if I lead her up now. I couldn't really tell you how to do it, because it's timing and reading their body language more than anything else. I've seen it done wrong a lot as well as rushed, which doesn't make for happy viewing.

This is the sort of thing i was hoping i could achieve with her, she is incredibly intelligent, but also incredibly stubborn when the mood takes her

Joyous70

Visit site
How frustrating for you! i don't know if this is helpful or not but I used the Richard Mawell controller halter which came with a video. I did all the ground work until I was confident that he horse understood the consequences of putting pressure on the halter before I attempted to use it to load. The horse in question would step onto the ramp and then run backwards, usually taking me with it. I guess that's a bit like the going on but not tying up. I found it stopped the running backwards completely, the horse tried it once and then gave in completely. I'm just thinking that if you could make her accept that running backwards is a complete no no, then you might find she'll go on and give you time to get the breech bar up. Good luck, you sometimes need the patience of a saint with horses. FWIW this horse was not frightened and travelled perfectly once properly on the trailer.
This is definitely helpful information, thank you. I feel as though my patience is wearing thin, as i have said i have spent weeks and weeks of training with her, some days she's fab other days she is awful, and like yours she isn't worried about the travelling.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
This is definitely helpful information, thank you. I feel as though my patience is wearing thin, as i have said i have spent weeks and weeks of training with her, some days she's fab other days she is awful, and like yours she isn't worried about the travelling.

Yes this worked for us too but ours didn't give in quite as quick & did rear a few times over a period of trys but when you watch experts videos they all initially get this response & then the horse relinquishes - its all about consistency which is what I feel RM training gives you as its an easy, explainable, method to follow.

Alibear

Visit site
If you near Norwich I can recommend a very talent lady who got my horse pretty much self loading. So I can do the ramp myself.

Barlow

Visit site
I didn’t think I would have the money for Michael Peace either (and he was cheaper than RM) but someone else was having him out so I decided to bite the bullet, as like you I want to be able to take my horse out without a second person on a lunge line etc. I also want my horse to load without any special equipment or fancy headcollar.
He had my horse going in consistently in about an hour and also sorted his other problem of leaping the ramp. So much safer and I’m no longer worried about taking him anywhere. Having seen him work and explain to me what he was doing and why, I now feel confident to deal with any further episodes, although I don’t think there will be many!

Green Bean

Visit site
I have an issue with my mare. I was recommended someone who didn't set a price at the beginning as it depends how long they take. He worked with my mare for around one and a half hours and it cost me £75. My horse knows her own strength and barges and rears. He suggested a chifney bit when loading, which, although harsh in the wrong hands, does stop barging and rearing. I don't think she will ever be perfect, but at least I know what works. The way he teaches, the horse walks in next to you and then ahead of you into the trailer so you can then close the bar behind without being in the front. I am in Buckinghamshire, not sure how far he travels but he is worth it.

HazuraJane

Visit site
Here I am, late to the party but perhaps someone will see this post and give me advice? My horse hops right in the trailer. Once in, and secured, the insanity begins and the horse tries to kick, rear, basically tear the trailer to bits. I need advice for the trailer ride.

Fred66

Visit site
Have you tried loading her but not putting up the other front breech bar. Then you can walk down the side of her without having to duck ? It will make it easier for you to get back to her head if she starts to back up whilst you are heading for the rear breech bar ?

Also maybe do this lots with someone to assist but only assist if she misbehaves. ie so that she gets used to you doing this but also knows that someone will be there to stop her if she misbehaves ? If you do it enough times she should start to get the idea.

Foxychops

Visit site
I think part of the problem if I read opening post correctly is that you tie her up, she then pulls back. That will have panicked her immensely. What trailer do you have? Partition in or out? How big is she?