Advice on moving horse.

Breezesbenefactor

Visit site
Any advice on moving my mare. She has been at her current yard for 4 years and I shall be moving her in the next month. Question is she only gets to leave her current yard once a year and has a tendancy to be very stubborn and anxious.

I plan to take a week off work to see she settles and to take her for a few walks along new hack routes (without me on her back) however, any tips ideas etc will be most gratefully received.

claireross

ccjack.co.uk
Take some of your bedding with you, so it smells like her stable. Try and stick to the same routine as much as possible. You never know she may settle really well, I think it really depends on each yards set up and how it suits what your horse likes. Good Luck

Breezesbenefactor

Visit site
Many thanks for the reply but this horse destroys stables so she lives out, she has a really nice "hut" to look at (as she never goes in them either). Her routin has been one of a schooling however, she hates that so fingers crossed the semi-retired life I'm hoping she'll warm to...

michaeljarmuz

Visit site
Well for the moving have someone standing at the front of the trailer/wagon with carrots/treats and lure/persuede her in and preferably you as you know her best? leading her in and once she is in get some one to put the back ramp up.you then settle her and then if youre in a wagon stand with her if not then stay with her for about 10-15 mins or until settled and then just leave quietly and keep talking to her as you leave.

WelshRareBit

Visit site
If the box/trailer is your perhaps try her every day for a small journey? That way when you come to her big move she should be too anxious.
Try and stick to her routine and give her plenty of time to adjust - leading her around hacking routes should be good too.
One bit of advice I had from my farrier is once they are in dont wrap them up in cotton wool, keep riding them regular (if she is ridden) and keep treating them like normal. Apparently if you give them too much fuss they'll need it all the time..or so he says!!
xx

Breezesbenefactor

Visit site
Thank you all for your advice it is seemly the same everywhere to move her into a routine straight away. I shall ride her in the school after a couple of days and take for walks fortunately you can see horses and the yard from far away which, I hope should help. Obviously I'm a little apprehensive at the moment and want everything to be right...fingers crossed.