Advice on Over Enthusiastic Horse!!!

pottamus

Visit site
I started my Welsh D off in endurance/pleasure rides this year and he has really taken to them! He has really got into it now and whereas before he needed lot's of leg to keep going, he now bombs round at a sometimes too fast trot!!!
He is getting a bit on the strong side really and I am finding that I am have to use very strong hands to steady him down a bit...now please don't go mad at me for this...I am not happy about pulling on his mouth and realise that it is making things worse...hence I want some advice!
He basically pulls like a steam train and goes into megga fast trot and is ignoring or running through my hands.
I have bitten the bullet on a couple of occasions and let go...under the pretence that if he has nothing to pull against he won't pull...but he got faster and I need to keep him controlled and sensible when other riders are around and there are trees, people etc to dodge!!!!
He is currently in a loose ring french link, which is perfect normally as when I hack him at home or away from an event he does not pull at all, but needs encouragement forward instead! His teeth have been done this week and back fine, so no problems health wise...and it is only at events this happens anyway. Someone suggested putting a neck strap on him and using this as a slowing training aid, like a brake...???
Can any one help or advise in any way, whether that be training tips, tack changes...whatever?

samp

Visit site
Could use a neck strap. what about if your slightly flex his head side to side so he can not set on one rein?

Lill

Visit site
Sounds a little like my sec d who has got into the habit (because she was used for lessons for a bit and allowed to get away with stuff
mad.gif
) of in the school speeding up at corners and running in trot, she also ignores my hands and pulls. No suggestions am afraid am a bit stumped with her at the moment!!

pottamus

Visit site
amymay...yes I had him in a pelham when I first bought him and found even with the curb really loose he backed right off the bit by tucking his head into his chest...which in turn and when in exciting situations tucked him up into bronc bucking...so I could be in big trouble...but then it was 2 years ago...
At the time I used the vulcanite pelham and roundings...which was not the best for him because he had rather a lot of bit in his small welshe mouth. Trouble is I can't try these things out at home because he is a different kettle of fish then...it has to be at the event and if I put him in a new bit that is wrong I am in a tricky spot!!!!
smile.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Ah Ok, so they're no good for you.

Definately sounds as if you do with something stronger in his mouth though doesn't it. Have you thought about putting a grackle noseband on him as an alternative??

no_no_nanette

Visit site
Just a thought - (re Amy Mays' advice) - friend with Highland who also started to get VERY strong at events, and she borrowed our Grakle, which worked really well with him. She now takes him to XC in a Dutch gag and Grakle, and that seems to have done the trick. Good luck!

Petrie

Visit site
You could try something like the Neueschule Universal, which comes in a lozenge french link or normal snaffle. It's the next step up strength-wise from a french link, and you have different settings, so you could start on the gentlest one and go from there.

The other thing I would say is, don't be afraid to occasionally use your hands and say, 'look, come here, I'm in charge!' They all need it now and again! I would do some strong downward transitions, try to make him listen to you.