Advice on shows to take a nervous horse to?

CynheidreFC

New User
Visit site
I have a 10 year old Welsh D gelding, had him for almost a year now and hope to begin going to some shows with him this summer (if we're ever able to walk in a straight line!). Typical Welsh and can be extremely stressy in new situations which then makes him scared of his own feet... his mane actually went grey after he first came, and it's supposed to be black! :(

I was just wondering if anyone knows/had experience at any good shows or training shows to take him to around the West Midlands area that are quiet and perhaps well suited to nervous and inexperienced horses?

I suspect we won't be able to do much with him for the first few outings as he'll be too on edge to then ask him to do any form of work. But we want him to enjoy it but without becoming a danger to anyone else or himself. Typically, at a number of local shows, they can become quite busy and one thing that he hates is being boxed in by other horses- I don't want him to get kicked or kick anyone else because of this.

So if anyone could suggest shows that would give him the show experience in order to build up to busier shows, but without being totally mind blowing for him I would really appreciate it!

Also I was planning on putting a green and a red ribbon on his tail for as long as it takes for him to relax- I know he's not young and he's never kicked, but does anyone think this would be a good idea? I just want the environment he's introduced to to be as positive and safe as can be! :eek:

JustKickOn

Visit site
Swallowfield Equestrian Centre in Lapworth, Warwickshire, have their beginners dressage series. Intro (walk and trot tests). Quiet and secure venue and the stewards for the day are always helpful. Big outdoor warm up and secure indoor arena for the tests.

Green and red ribbons would be perfect. I use a red ribbon and it's always respected when I've been at Swallowfield.

Sparkeyboy

Visit site
I'm not from around that area so can't recommend any shows, but do have a welsh who sounds very similar to yours! You've probably heard this already but it might be worth going to local riding club shows and having a look, they are usually really welcoming and helpful. Also, do you have any shows you can hack to? It might be an idea to hack him down with a buddy and let him have a look around, if it gets to much you can walk him back home. I did this with mine, got off for bit and allowed her to graze in hand near a ring so she could watch what was going on. I'd also recommend joining a riding club/pony club to boost both your confidence, it will do him good to ride in an enclosed arena with other horses as you would when you enter a ring at a show. You'll have the benefit of the Instructor if anything goes wrong e.g if people get too close, until he's feeling more confident. I also agree with the red ribbon ...Good luck :)

Morgan123

Visit site
Hello, similar to Sparkeyboy, I am also not in your area but just wanted to sympathise too as I also have a welshie like yours - scared of his own feet sums it up ;-)! Sometimes he is scared of his tail too. And a million other things. Things DO improve though with patience so don't worry!! Mine is still scared of stupid things but mostly fairly functional.....

Anyway - the first thing I took my boy too was a quiet summer show and we just did an inhand showing class and ridden one. However, I then started taking him to sponsored rides and endurance, and it was that that he loved so this was actually really the best thing for him. Could you do a quiet sponsored ride with a friend? Or even just box to another yard for a hack for the first thing you do, or lesson.

Completely agree with what Sparkeyboy says as well, if you can hack to something that's even better! Or practice travelling if not, as these Welshies seem to find everything so stressful. Maybe we should set up a support group ;-).

Sparkeyboy

Visit site
Hello, similar to Sparkeyboy, I am also not in your area but just wanted to sympathise too as I also have a welshie like yours - scared of his own feet sums it up ;-)! Sometimes he is scared of his tail too. And a million other things. Things DO improve though with patience so don't worry!! Mine is still scared of stupid things but mostly fairly functional.....

Anyway - the first thing I took my boy too was a quiet summer show and we just did an inhand showing class and ridden one. However, I then started taking him to sponsored rides and endurance, and it was that that he loved so this was actually really the best thing for him. Could you do a quiet sponsored ride with a friend? Or even just box to another yard for a hack for the first thing you do, or lesson.

Completely agree with what Sparkeyboy says as well, if you can hack to something that's even better! Or practice travelling if not, as these Welshies seem to find everything so stressful. Maybe we should set up a support group ;-).

Haha a support group is a great idea! One for the horses or one for the suffering owners:eek:? I always thought welshies were laid back cobs until I got one... Mine freaked herself out in the paddock the other day and jumped the 4'3ft gate? I cannot understand why, I can only put it down to my other pony must have called her a nasty name or said boo?

Morgan123

Visit site
Haha a support group is a great idea! One for the horses or one for the suffering owners:eek:? I always thought welshies were laid back cobs until I got one... Mine freaked herself out in the paddock the other day and jumped the 4'3ft gate? I cannot understand why, I can only put it down to my other pony must have called her a nasty name or said boo?

LOL!!! That sounds familiar. A support group for the owners I mean ;-). People never understand, they say 'oh yes my horse is spooky too' but they just don't get what it's like having a spooky welshie!! Shall we start a facebook page and we can compare spook stories?! Mine sneezes and freaks out sometimes. It took me four years to get him wearing a rug....

Sparkeyboy

Visit site
LOL!!! That sounds familiar. A support group for the owners I mean ;-). People never understand, they say 'oh yes my horse is spooky too' but they just don't get what it's like having a spooky welshie!! Shall we start a facebook page and we can compare spook stories?! Mine sneezes and freaks out sometimes. It took me four years to get him wearing a rug....

Yes sounds like a good idea!!! Would definitely be a laugh comparing their 'moments' Can't help but feel sorry for them, mine took 6 months to get used to the sound of velcro! But then, she's not bothered by the chicken jumping on her back from a great height!?

Morgan123

Visit site
Ha that made me laugh, Velcro took me AGES as well!!! Brushing boots used to be so traumatic!! Lol. Why do they keep breeding them....?!

Sorry for hijacking your post OP, though hopefully it helps to know you're not alone. There's light at the end of the tunnel as long as you're patient!! And as long as you don't expect to do completely unreasonable things like taking your coat off while mounted.

N.b. if you DO go to a show or an event and you get lucky, don't expect to have someone hand you a rosette, let alone pin it to your bridle!! Apparently they're the ultimate punishment. And obviously only dished out once said pony has behaved nicely, therefore extra bad. After several years I can just about pin one to my breastplate but that's as far as I'll get!

They're fun little horses though, once you get out you'll both enjoy it!

CynheidreFC

New User
Visit site
Thanks JustKickOn! I think we will probably go and watch a few first, just to get a feel for the environment and things like that. He's never been in an indoor school either so that's going to be interesting!

CynheidreFC

New User
Visit site
We can't hack to any unfortunately, they're all either too far away or too big for where we need to start. Yes my sister is joining pony club so that will help them both a lot I'm sure! Think we're going to get a few people from our yard to bring their horses in soon so that will get him used to other horses around him whilst being ridden but somewhere he's comfortable and used to. Thanks Sparkeyboy! Think we'll need it!!

CynheidreFC

New User
Visit site
Don't worry, I'm quite new to this so I am a bit slow haha, sorry! But yes we have trouble with wheelie bins but on the whole he's quite confident when he's comfortable! Noise doesn't seem to bother him, but he's not too fond of things around his feet, in particular when we first took him out he didn't like the colour of the tarmac changing on the road which I thought was a bit odd! But the more he's been out the better he's got and he's really quite good now! :) i like the idea of a support group page haha, think we need one! Or a Welsh owner appreciation group!

Yeah patience is already paying off, especially as he's now really loving which is what I always want with animals, so he's pretty much perfect! Just wish he understood how to walk in a straight line, but we'll get there I'm sure :)

No, I don't expect to even make it through a test without a bit of a melt down, let alone a rosette! But I would much rather expect that and not push him, they're definitely a breed that need a lot of patience! Ooh I don't look forward to that haha, I can imagine his face now!

Yes I think it will help him a lot instead of being cooped up at a yard all the time, they need to see and experience things :)

Thanks for your help! Sorry I'm a bit new to this, not quite got the hang of everything yet haha!

Morgan123

Visit site
Good for you! That's great news. He sounds fun!
Mine found indoor schools actually very reassuring as there's so little to look at compared to outside, he much prefers them.
Yes the rosette thing is funny! You have to dismount for those ;-)!!!
Do keep us up to date (and add pics!). Good luck!

Justturnedfifty

Visit site
I have a 10 year old Welsh D gelding, had him for almost a year now and hope to begin going to some shows with him this summer (if we're ever able to walk in a straight line!). Typical Welsh and can be extremely stressy in new situations which then makes him scared of his own feet... his mane actually went grey after he first came, and it's supposed to be black! :(

I was just wondering if anyone knows/had experience at any good shows or training shows to take him to around the West Midlands area that are quiet and perhaps well suited to nervous and inexperienced horses?

I suspect we won't be able to do much with him for the first few outings as he'll be too on edge to then ask him to do any form of work. But we want him to enjoy it but without becoming a danger to anyone else or himself. Typically, at a number of local shows, they can become quite busy and one thing that he hates is being boxed in by other horses- I don't want him to get kicked or kick anyone else because of this.

So if anyone could suggest shows that would give him the show experience in order to build up to busier shows, but without being totally mind blowing for him I would really appreciate it!

Also I was planning on putting a green and a red ribbon on his tail for as long as it takes for him to relax- I know he's not young and he's never kicked, but does anyone think this would be a good idea? I just want the environment he's introduced to to be as positive and safe as can be! :eek:

Hi there, I know that Allens Hill in Worcester, just off junction 6 of M5, will be starting up their evening Dressage Club very shortly, which is aimed at either very novice horses or very novice riders, who have no or very little competition experience. These nights are low key, and aimed at exactly your situation. They do have BD judges, and they encourage the judge to spend time with you after the competition, so you can have a verbal review of your test/riding, as well as picking up your test sheet and rosette. If you ask for an early test you can often get there before lots of competitors arrive and have a peaceful work in before riding your test. Allens Hill is very local to me and I love the warm welcome and help you can get there. Also their new arena surfaces are absolutely fantastic! Look at their website www.allenshill.co.uk.

CynheidreFC

New User
Visit site
Hi there, I know that Allens Hill in Worcester, just off junction 6 of M5, will be starting up their evening Dressage Club very shortly, which is aimed at either very novice horses or very novice riders, who have no or very little competition experience. These nights are low key, and aimed at exactly your situation. They do have BD judges, and they encourage the judge to spend time with you after the competition, so you can have a verbal review of your test/riding, as well as picking up your test sheet and rosette. If you ask for an early test you can often get there before lots of competitors arrive and have a peaceful work in before riding your test. Allens Hill is very local to me and I love the warm welcome and help you can get there. Also their new arena surfaces are absolutely fantastic! Look at their website www.allenshill.co.uk.

Thanks! That sounds like something that would be really good for us, I will definitely look into it. Thanks again! :)

CynheidreFC

New User
Visit site

Thanks! That sounds like something that would be really good for us, I will definitely look into it. Thanks again! :)