Advice on Strangles needed

spacie1977

Visit site
In particular, should I get a vet out? A couple horses at my yard recently had strangles. One had what was first thought was just a really bad cold/cough because no abscesses came up, but later, after getting better it's basically been assumed it was strangles as another horse has been confirmed to have it. Now my horse has had a cough for a few days, producing clear foamy mucus, and hasn't had quite as much energy as normal. He seems perfectly happy in himself, still guzzling his food and hasn't developed any abscesses. So I'm assuming he's caught strangles but doing pretty well at the moment at fighting it off so he's being kept on box rest until better. Do you think I should get a vet out? From what I've read, there doesn't sound like there's much vets can do about it; antiobitics aren't often given and there's no abscesses to flush out. So do I just leave him resting until he's 100% again? I don't want to be a bad mum so want to make sure I've done all I can but at the same time, don't want to splashing out on vet bills if there's absolutely no point.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
In particular, should I get a vet out? A couple horses at my yard recently had strangles.
What can I say............. the yard should be in lockdown and a "vet in charge" appointed.
As the YM has done nothing and the liveries don't seem to bother there is nothing you can do. but keep away from all other horses particularly from other yards for a month after there are no more cases.
The only problem you have is that your horse may now be a carrier, and you would need veterinary treatment for this. It is called a Gutteral Pouch endoscopy which examines the GP's and squirts long term antibiotic in to them.
No point in doing anything till 30 days after last horse as affected. But the symptom are so mild, that you will not know when this is as the horses are not being monitored.

Last edited:

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
The yard either has strangles or it doesn't. The only way of knowing 100% is to have a vet confirm this (especially if no abcesses showing) and then as MrsD123 says, lockdown under vets guidance.

Strangles can kill in some cases, it is not a something to be joked about or ignored. Get the vet out and go from there.

Goldenstar

Visit site
When my second pony as a child got strangles she nearly died and was never the same again this is not a disease to be trifled with.
As said above the yard should be on lockdown and there should be daily monitoring of the horses to work out which have caught it so that any carriers can be dealt with.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
When my second pony as a child got strangles she nearly died and was never the same again this is not a disease to be trifled with.
As said above the yard should be on lockdown and there should be daily monitoring of the horses to work out which have caught it so that any carriers can be dealt with.
Yes, but she does not need a vet for her own horse, she needs to ask what the YM is going to do about it, if nothing then there is probably no point in asking her own vet to come and look at her own horse at this moment in time.
Later on, a blood test can be taken from her own horse to determine if it has antibodies, and then her vet would then probably do a GP, but the timings are guided by the progress of the disease, based on both herd and individual horse. So probably best left for three weeks after the symptoms, but obviously her own vet needs to advise her individually, but the whole idea of disease control is that the herd are monitored, by taking temps twice per day per horse, it is really probably too late to do this we don't really know, but if the YM has done nothing then it is not very likely she will take vet advice now, unless she is a newby to horses and has no idea on disease control.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Yes, but she does not need a vet for her own horse, she needs to ask what the YM is going to do about it, if nothing then there is probably no point in asking her own vet to come and look at her own horse at this moment in time.
Later on, a blood test can be taken from her own horse to determine if it has antibodies, and then her vet would then probably do a GP, but the timings are guided by the progress of the disease, based on both herd and individual horse. So probably best left for three weeks after the symptoms, but obviously her own vet needs to advise her individually, but the whole idea of disease control is that the herd are monitored, by taking temps twice per day per horse, it is really probably too late to do this we don't really know, but if the YM has done nothing then it is not very likely she will take vet advice now, unless she is a newby to horses and has no idea on disease control.

Err thanks for that
But I think Op probally needs to take advise from the vet as she does not mentain that she taking the temperature I also would not be box resting a strangles horse as they need to be moving with their heads down so I where I would want advise on that too.

Last edited:

spacie1977

Visit site
Thank you for the advice. I'll call a vet out this morning to confirm whether it is strangles or not. In defence of my YO, the horse that had developed strangles did so after leaving our yard and long after the first one showing cold symptoms (that didn't go onto developing any abscesses) had got better. I.e. YO had no idea at the time it could've been anything other than a mild cold. They put the yard on lockdown and isolated anything suspicious immediately after hearing about the horse with strangles, as a precaution just in case it was contracted at our stables, and been keeping a very close eye on everything there since. In my mind they've done everything right so shouldn't be slated. I know they've been given a really hard time over it though, receiving calls from people she doesn't even know to give their opinions. I feel really sorry for her, she's so lovely and hasn't done anything to deserve the stick she's getting. People can be really viscous!
Right, now after having opened what feels like a very large can of worms, I'm off to call the vet.

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Thank you for the advice. I'll call a vet out this morning to confirm whether it is strangles or not. In defence of my YO, the horse that had developed strangles did so after leaving our yard and long after the first one showing cold symptoms (that didn't go onto developing any abscesses) had got better. I.e. YO had no idea at the time it could've been anything other than a mild cold. They put the yard on lockdown and isolated anything suspicious immediately after hearing about the horse with strangles, as a precaution just in case it was contracted at our stables, and been keeping a very close eye on everything there since. In my mind they've done everything right so shouldn't be slated. I know they've been given a really hard time over it though, receiving calls from people she doesn't even know to give their opinions. I feel really sorry for her, she's so lovely and hasn't done anything to deserve the stick she's getting. People can be really viscous!
Right, now after having opened what feels like a very large can of worms, I'm off to call the vet.

I'm sorry if we have offended you, but you asked what whether you should get the vet out, with the phrase "...but at the same time, don't want to splashing out on vet bills if there's absolutely no point." over a subject that is pretty emotive at the moment will put peoples backs up (rightly or wrongly). Strangles has an incubation period, if not contained and the whole yard given the all clear by a vet, it can keep doing the rounds which will ultimately cost more in vets bills than an initial call out and be given whatever advise is needed at the time :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
People have an odd attitude to strangles OP and it does not suprise me that people have been given your YOer a hard time .
The main thing to remember is most horses recover well my pony was unlucky and although it's a complete pest to be on a affected yard it will be over with in time .
Personally I could disaggree with MrsD123 very strongly if I feared my horse had strangles I would definatly want a vet to see it and be advising me about the condition of my horse and monitoring it's condition I have seen what happens when strangles goes wrong and anything I could do to prevent even in the smallest way that happening to my horse I would do it , even if it meant paying a vets bill perhaps I could have got away without incurring.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Err thanks for that
But I think Op probally needs to take advise from the vet as she does not mentain that she taking the temperature I also would not be box resting a strangles horse as they need to be moving with their heads down so I where I would want advise on that too.
I did not say she did not need vet advice, in fact I think I mentioned it, I think she may not need the vet out immediately, the first thing vets do in lockdown is get all horse in their boxes, or kept out in their fields where they are at present.
A vet can't tell by looking, a blood test is diagnostic, and the OP said the horse has already shown symptoms some time previous.
also we were not getting the full story in the initial posting.

Last edited:

MiniMilton

Visit site
I am currently dealing with strangles in 2 rescue horses. The extreme biosecurity measures required are shocking and require absolute dedication from all persons involved in the yard. I have a recent strangles thread where I got lots of helpful advice, particularly from MrsD123.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Standard practice is to appoint a vet in charge AND to have all temps taken twice per day, and lockdown, this is the only way to monitor the progress of the disease in the yard.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
People have an odd attitude to strangles OP and it does not suprise me that people have been given your YOer a hard time .
The main thing to remember is most horses recover well my pony was unlucky and although it's a complete pest to be on a affected yard it will be over with in time .
Personally I could disaggree with MrsD123 very strongly if I feared my horse had strangles I would definatly want a vet to see it and be advising me about the condition of my horse and monitoring it's condition I have seen what happens when strangles goes wrong and anything I could do to prevent even in the smallest way that happening to my horse I would do it , even if it meant paying a vets bill perhaps I could have got away without incurring.
Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done for the animal, assuming it has been unwell and is getting better, if antibiotics are used, it is only as a last resort [that may be a bit over-dramatic] because the antibiotics are not a miracle cure, in fact they prolong the progress of the disease, and that is why they are not routinely used.
The OP will be phoning her vet, but vets don't always want to come and examine them, they will probably ask for temps taken twice a day, but OP indicates the horse has been off colour and is now getting back to normal, in my experience the temperature rose for two days before any symptoms, the vet did not touch it, she had it moved to another box, but did not tell me to put on a heavy rug, when I came in next morning he was shivering and I called emergency vet out, he examined him, indicated where the swellings were [there were none 12 hours before] and put him on antibiotics, but unfortunately it did not stop the disease, and things got worse, and worse.......... he never had a blood test because he had all the symptoms, and he therefore had the Gutteral Pouch done 30 days after all symptoms on all the horses on the estate were over.

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done for the animal, assuming it has been unwell and is getting better, if antibiotics are used, it is only as a last resort [that may be a bit over-dramatic] because the antibiotics are not a miracle cure, in fact they prolong the progress of the disease, and that is why they are not routinely used.
The OP will be phoning her vet, but vets don't always want to come and examine them, they will probably ask for temps taken twice a day, but OP indicates the horse has been off colour and is now getting back to normal, in my experience the temperature rose for two days before any symptoms, the vet did not touch it, she had it moved to another box, but did not tell me to put on a heavy rug, when I came in next morning he was shivering and I called emergency vet out, he examined him, indicated where the swellings were [there were none 12 hours before] and put him on antibiotics, but unfortunately it did not stop the disease, and things got worse, and worse.......... he never had a blood test because he had all the symptoms, and he therefore had the Gutteral Pouch done 30 days after all symptoms on all the horses on the estate were over.

Monitoring horses is just as important as giving drugs ( although I am not sure where you got the idea I think the horse should have antibiotics ) if my horses temperature was up I would use drugs to help bring it down .

Goldenstar

Visit site
I am currently dealing with strangles in 2 rescue horses. The extreme biosecurity measures required are shocking and require absolute dedication from all persons involved in the yard. I have a recent strangles thread where I got lots of helpful advice, particularly from MrsD123.

Hows it going ? Are you managing ok ?

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
It is totally out of order for people to be ringing the YO to abuse her, but the fact is that paranoia about the disease and mis-understanding abound. The only defence she can offer is to advise them that veterinary advice is being taken.

As I see it, there are only really three ways to deal with the disease, one is to ignore it, which is common practice.

Two: to take reasonable yard precautions but leave it to individual owners to cope and decide how to proceed, which seems to have happened here.

Three: other is to use veterinary advice, to treat it as a herd problem, and even if the YO has no horses of her own, had she done so, she would probably have been asked to follow Animal Health Trust guidelines, which are very restrictive, and require the co-operation of all the owners of all the horses, who will also have to pay for individual veterinary testing at some time in the future, as well as any treatment or individual advice.

Last edited:

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Monitoring horses is just as important as giving drugs ( although I am not sure where you got the idea I think the horse should have antibiotics ) if my horses temperature was up I would use drugs to help bring it down .

You mean NSAIDS [bute, danilon] sorry, yes they may be needed if the horse is unwell [I always keep a stock at home to deal with things as they arise]: I would usually phone for advice and agree to a callout if things do not get better.
The point is that the OP 's horse is now in recovery, presumably symptoms were mild or the vet would have been called out before now.
In order to determine if the horse is still unwell or if the disease strikes, the temperature should be monitored, twice per day, again this would be following advice from the vet.
I should have made it clear that I did not advocate ignoring the situation, what I was trying to say was that an immediate callout is not urgent, however the OP should call her vet for advice, but I think she should also ask the YM to talk to a vet. Now if the vet is called out by the YM he has a different reponsibility that to the YM, if you see what I am getting at.

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
Its really sad when horse owners won't support each other in times like this and any yard can get strangles I hate when treat it like someone's done something shameful .
Having said that there are some places where I would never consider buying a horse from because of the risk .
When my pony was so ill my parents stables had no electricity and another local person let us use his so that the vet could monitor my pony at night easily .
After it was all over my mum and dad scrubbed down the yard and the horse whose stable it was worked from the field for three months .
Looking back that was so kind of the stables owner he was a scary hunting man ( I was scared of him ) but he did an awful lot to get me going, I wonder how many would be so kind now.

Goldenstar

Visit site
You mean NSAIDS [bute, danilon] sorry, but the point is that the OP 's horse is now in recovery, as far as we know........... all the horses' temperatures should be monitored.

How do you know the horse is in recovery ?you simply do not ,advise from a vet on the ground is the safest thing to do.
OP does not say she has been monitoring temperature so she may have no idea whats going on with that.

spacie1977

Visit site
I'm sorry if we have offended you, but you asked what whether you should get the vet out, with the phrase "...but at the same time, don't want to splashing out on vet bills if there's absolutely no point." over a subject that is pretty emotive at the moment will put peoples backs up (rightly or wrongly). Strangles has an incubation period, if not contained and the whole yard given the all clear by a vet, it can keep doing the rounds which will ultimately cost more in vets bills than an initial call out and be given whatever advise is needed at the time :)

No offence taken Nugget La Poneh. I'm not worried about the expense of calling out a vet. Obviously if I should I would. What I meant was that I don't know a huge amount about strangles so was simply asking for some advice as to whether I should be calling them out now if my horse is showing mild cold symptoms, or if I should wait to see if he gets any worse or abscesses come up. I don't want to be a hypochondriac if he's only got a cold, but at the same time I have no experience of strangles to know what to do and when if I'm concerned my horse might have it, hence the need for advice.

spacie1977

Visit site
Apologies MrsD123 for not giving full info on first post. Looking back I suppose it was a bit dim to assume it would be obvious the yard would be on lock down if there are any suspicions of strangles. And I should've mentioned the time gaps between finding the moved horse has strangles, other horse and mine showing cold/cough symptoms.

The maths are looking good: As the horse with strangles developed it after moving away, the other one showing cold symptoms has been better for a few weeks before mine developed cold symptoms, AND none of the others my horse was turned out with have come down with anything, considering this and the incubation period, it's unlikely my horse has anything more than a mild cold. (Big "phew!" but of course not counting my chickens yet).

Anyway, it turns out the YO had already contacted the vets and is remaining in constant contact with them, doing things under their advice.
So advice given has been to continue treating my horse as if he does have strangles, just in case, by keeping him isolated from other horses, whole yard on lock down, special attention to hygiene etc. The vets will then come out later when symptoms have cleared up to test all the horses mine would have been in contact with over this last month or so before being isolated, including the other one that had a cold, to see if any are strangles carriers. The vets will then give treatment if needed but at the moment there's no clinical treatment to suggest for my horse as he's just got a snotty nose, occasional cough and not quite as perky as usual so could just be a cold. We're to keep a close eye on everything and continue with the isolation until given the all clear.

I've talked to the YO about it more today, and I'm happy with how it's been handled so far. YO is taking responsibility for making sure my horse is being looked after and checked on regularly and I trust she's doing everything she should be. She says my horse has perked up this morning and looked bright eyed when I saw him. Just crossing fingers now the tests do come back clear for everyone.
Thank you for everyones advice especially MrsD123 you're a gem :)

mitto0121

New User
Visit site
Has Anyone Heard Of This Happening ??

Hi, My Mare Tested Positive For Strangles On The 18th Of October I Went Through Every Treatment Via Vet To Make Her Well Again, She Stopped All Form Of Antibiotics And Bute Into The First Week Or So In November, I Then Had Her Re Tested The Last Week Of November And All Results Came Back Negative So She Had The All Clear

Of A Evening My Mother Will Put Her To Bed For The Night In Her Stable, She Has Been Fine Until Saturday Morning I Gave Her A Fresh Haynet From A New Bale Of Hay Whilst I Mucked Out Her Stable, I Then tacked Her Up To Ride To Notice A Very Swollen Throat Were Abbsesis Would Form If It Was To Be Strangles, She Has Been Isolated Since Saturday Morning The Swelling Has Reduced But Not Massively, I Have The vet Coming Out Today.

Has Anyone Else Had A Similar Thing Happen Once There Horse Has Been Given The Clear

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Has Anyone Heard Of This Happening ??

Hi, My Mare Tested Positive For Strangles On The 18th Of October I Went Through Every Treatment Via Vet To Make Her Well Again, She Stopped All Form Of Antibiotics And Bute Into The First Week Or So In November, I Then Had Her Re Tested The Last Week Of November And All Results Came Back Negative So She Had The All Clear

Of A Evening My Mother Will Put Her To Bed For The Night In Her Stable, She Has Been Fine Until Saturday Morning I Gave Her A Fresh Haynet From A New Bale Of Hay Whilst I Mucked Out Her Stable, I Then tacked Her Up To Ride To Notice A Very Swollen Throat Were Abbsesis Would Form If It Was To Be Strangles, She Has Been Isolated Since Saturday Morning The Swelling Has Reduced But Not Massively, I Have The vet Coming Out Today.

Has Anyone Else Had A Similar Thing Happen Once There Horse Has Been Given The Clear
You might be better to put this on a separate thread mitto, as we will end up even more confused, but there have been a few posts recently.

MiniMilton

Visit site
Hows it going ? Are you managing ok ?

It'll be weeks until they are clear so I dont want to jinx anything yet. I have a good bio security routine in place so hopefully my own horses will remain safe. I'm the only one that deals with any of the horses so its easier to minimise risk of cross contamination. The rescue mares are looking brighter each day so fingers crossed