Advice on what to do with youngster

zandp

Visit site
I know I'm v new here but am hoping that I'll get some opinions based on fact on this.

I lost my confidence totally when 17 gave up for 13 years, came back to riding at 30 and 4 years later bought my first horse, an ID/conn mare, aged 10 at the time. I then lost my confidence on her - lots of bolting incidents and me cracking my ribs. I battled for 3 years as thought that the problems were mine - or pain on her side. I was right and all medical problems have been resolved, saddle fits very well now and we've been doing really well together, with me a happy rider again, cantering out on hacks, doing all the things that used to make me feel sick.

When the older mare was very lame, before we found out what her problem was, I decided to buy a youngster as thought retirement was impending. I now have a young QH/TB mare, she's now aged 4. I've had her for almost 2 years now, as she was growing up we did lots of groundwork, some longlining and loads of walking in hand all over the place. Then we moved yards, working in the school became very difficult as she was understandably not too keen on being taken away from my other mare who she bonded very well with once moved. I finally conquered that and I backed her end May/June and rode her for a little while - on the lunge - but got walk and trot out of her. We were going quite well and were about to try off the lunge when I fell off her (my fault, she stopped, I growled at her to go on, which she did and I bounced off her neck as she leapt forward). I injured my cocyx and couldn't ride for 6 weeks.

I then moved yards to my RI's yard. Thought the more ready access to help for me and her would be a boon, and it has been as since this move she's become very difficult to tack up, especially bridle, and picking her feet up has become a bit hit and mis again as well. She has had locking stifles and so I don't push too much for the back feet as I know she's not doing it because it hurts. A few weeks ago she started rearing when tied up, rearing and kicking out when being bridled and the RI was the only person who could manage to do anything, until she was working when she became great again. She likes to work, once you get her there that is. She loves our in hand hacks and when I can catch her i'm concentrating more on them.

I firmly believe this is toys out of the pram behaviour as i'm working her more regularly and am insisting that boundaries are kept and behaviour is good now, keeping her out of my space etc.

RI asked me last week if I'd thought about selling her, IF it had been anyone else I'd brush it off but she helped me get my confidence back on my elder mare and knows how nervous I got. She is concerned about the effect on my confidence and the fact that I work full time and juggling job and 2 horses is proving very difficult.

In character she's sharp, very intelligent but doesn't tend to react massively to things - she's always going to look but her initial reaction is an ok, how can I explore that rather than a "OMG run away".

She's definitely the boss of the field, always has been unless there's a mare to tell her what to do, my other mare's far too soft and she's beaten up all the other geldings who we've tried to put in with them.

I'm thinking that she's unsettled, we've moved twice this year now, she's no longer in a herd situation which is what she's used to, i've been too soft with her and she's thinking she's the boss.

RI asked me if I'd thought about selling her, I was thinking I'd keep her forever, I wouldn't be in a quandary if it hadn't been RI asking me but she does know me, although has only seen the misbehaving side of my youngster and isn't her biggest fan
laugh.gif
-

I was going to start longlinging again early next year and then I'd send her away to be professionally backed, giving her the rest of the winter off (maybe some in hand hacks for a bit of variety and for the stifles). Working with the person doing the backing/rebacking as much as I can and then making a decision about whether she's too sharp for me or not once she's being ridden regularly.

Do I sound like a total loon to be even considering keeping a youngster when 3 years ago I couldn't even trot outside without feeling sick ?

CBFan

Visit site
I think you've identified the possible cause of your mare's change in behaviour which I would have to agree with i.e. the changing of yards, but also I feel that not being in a herd situation isn't very helpful either. they need interraction to know their place and get security from that, whether they are top, middle or bottom.

I think you're right to try to start her again next year and over the winter I would continue to work with her on the ground to overcome all these problems such as the not tying up, the rearing, the not being tacked up etc etc ONE by ONE. If she can't be tied up she ain't in a position to let you pick her feet up or be tacked up. if she won't let you put a bridle on, she aint gonna let you put a saddle on etc. work through each challenge sensibly and try to eliminate pain as a cause (i'd recomend vet, chiro and EDT).

Good Luck & Keep us posted!

zandp

Visit site
Thanks so much.

The sharer for my other horse is an EDT and has said she'll have a quick look over her for me. Vet has been to look at stifles etc and has said she doesn't see a problem, it's just something she's going to grow out of.

I think I've been tending to try and sort everything out, ie tying up, grooming and bridling so will start again and go through each thing one at a time.

Thanks again.

Parkranger

Visit site
Hiya - confidence is such a fragile thing.....I've brought two unsuitable horses since i've been back in the saddle and have just brought myself a pony.

In all honesty, I'd sell her on if you're not enjoying her and get something you can go and have fun on and enjoy riding again....

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Does your RI bring horses on for clients? If so, I'd turn the horse over to her. Get her going, and then sell.

If your RI isn't up for this - find yourself a good professional, and again send the horse to them to bring on and sell for you. You sound totally mismatched.
crazy.gif

CBFan

Visit site
Thats ok! I've been in a similar situation before and sometimes when trying to deal with a problem we forget to break it down into it's simplest components - easier for an outsider to do. I think if you give her time and consistent handling she could come good.

I can recomend you taking a few drops of rescue remedy and try to think before you react to her misbehaviour - again easier said than done, but it's good to keep check of yourself and make sure your reaction is justified.

I'm finding my youngster has changed a bit recently and discovered her was just really really hungry - plenty of hay and hey presto - a happy boy again! - might be worth thinking about?

zandp

Visit site
I've changed her turnout as she's now out 24/7 to try and help the stifles, my other mare's a bit arthritic so the 2 of them are wintering out (although I do have stables). She's used to living out as was 24/7 out before I got her, and through our first winter together. She is less stressed being out.

She is being very aggressive around food and I'll make sure I bring her in for some hay every day and see if that helps. She loves her hay.

So I'll go one step at a time, whilst keeping in mind that we may well be a bad match in the end after all.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
She is being very aggressive around food and I'll make sure I bring her in for some hay every day and see if that helps. She loves her hay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not just give the horses access to hay in their field?

CBFan

Visit site
Yeah, I was going to say, if the grass is anywhere near as sparse as it is down here it would be better to give them a good helping of hay to munch through -certainly overnight. My boy gets 4 or 5 sections at the moment - he's 16hh 2y/o CB and a medium sized dinner and breakie of hi-fibre cubes, speedibeet and hi-fi lite in the morning.

If she's being posessive about food it would sugest to me that she is hungry so a few sections at each end of the day should help (several piles so they don't fight and she has to walk about for her stifle)

Park Ranger - I do agree that some horses and their people aren't compatible but previosly this pairing got on pretty well, sugesting that it is something in this horse's current routine / management that is upsetting it and I really do think it's worth persevering in this case. She's a young horse and it would be a real shame to brand her as a problem and pass her off for someone else to deal with if at all possible. Sometimes we just have to bite the bullet and accept help offered by others.

ecrozier

Visit site
TOTALLY agree about the food thing - our boy started being a bit grumpy and unsettled about a month ago, we then moved fields and he was better until they'd munched their way through most of the grass in the new field, now he is being a bit stroppy again - just fidgety on th yard etc and more reluctant to pick feet up, have bridle on. He's not being a real problem just not as good as I know he can be! Ours will start coming in at night in about a week's time and he will then have ad lib forage at night and he'll settle again. He's a greedy so and so and the stroppy behaviour on the yard is definately related to wanting his dinner, as if you leave him with a haynet for an hour prior to doing anything with him (eg I'll leave him in stable munching while I ride my other boy) he's good as gold, without fail!
May be worth just checking the dentist/chiro aspect as well tho?