Advice on XC schooling please

Benefice1

Visit site
Hi,

On thursday i am taking my boy up to Witchingham XC course to have a bit of a play. I haven't done any XC with him so far although he has done it a long time ago before i brought him.

I have jumped logs and straw bales etc and been to the beach so he is fine with water but i was just wondering what tips people would have for me.

To be honest its probably me who lacks the confidence more than him!!

Any advice or other peoples experiences would be great.

Many thanks xx

Tempi

Visit site
make sure you warm up first, as in do some trotting and cantering to get him going. i see so many people get on a xc course and just start jumping.........

then start with the small jumps and just trotting him into them and see how he reacts. Dont push it too much however well he might be feeling as you dont want to overface hm and scare you both. Also go in and out of the water lots of times and let him look at things to get used to them.

Im sure you will both have a fab time xx

Benefice1

Visit site
i would definately do that, wouldnt ever just start jumping. hmmm im not sure that trotting into them will be an option, he gets very excited when jumping but i will definately try!!

Thanks thats really great advice xx

vic07

Visit site
i always try and string 4 or 5 fences together so the horse and rider can think forwards and get into a xc mentality. But only do this once you are confidently popping single ones!

EllieBeast

Visit site
Gt Witchingham is a lovely course, plenty of jumps at all heights - and a few gallop stretches too. just take it al at your own speed and enjoy it!
Sarah xXx

Benefice1

Visit site
I took my old pony there and thought it was nice so thats why i decided on that one for my new boy (well ive had him 2 years!!hehe)

Thanks i am actually really looking forward to it!
smile.gif
x

Benefice1

Visit site
There are 3 of us going on horses, one of the girls isnt actually gonna jump anything, she has only had her horse a week so just wants to take him to have a look etc. Our instructor is coming with us on foot so can shout at me!!!!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Warm up calmly, and ensure you have an experienced horse with you to give a lead over difficult things.
We hire a local course here and find it invaluable for training the babies and seeing just how capable the horses will end up given experience.
My other advice is when you feel confident enough to compete, do a Pairs Class first..

meganograph

Visit site
I agree with this - some horses aren't right for all the "start-stopping" of XC schooling and need to get their blood up with a string of fences. Mine flies out competing, but I have a terrible time schooling!

Also don't worry if yours doesn't jump like you expected him to. I always just assumed that because Meg was such an established showjumper, she'd be awesome out XC. Not the case! They know the fences are solid and you may have a few stops. Best advice is to drag an instructor along!