Advice on yearling acting strangely

jaffa2311

Visit site
My yearling ( 10.5 months old) developed spasmodic colic 11 days ago. This was treated by my vet with buscopan, pain relief, rectal examination ( normal) , temperature checked (38) and lactate levels checked.

She came out of the sedation( used to perform rectal) and was very distressed. She was trying to jump out the stable and backing up to wall scratching her bottom. She has never shown bottom discomfort before this moment. Her distress was eased by bringing others in to accompany her and the bottom problem stopped then too.

Her colic symptoms have gone and she was gradually introduced back to the grass by coming in during the day and out at night.

I groomher every evening before she goes out, and she is moulting like no tomorrow. She was not rugged in winter thus having a full winter coat to shed, she loves the shedding blade on her!

Every evening when I lead her from her stable to her field ( 100 metres approximately) she gets down to roll on the dry part of the walk there. There is no faffing, she just collapses down and She has a good roll and then gets up and continues walking to the field, and grazes happily with the others afterwards.

This is new. She never used to roll when being led.

She also swings her Arse at me and back into me to ask me to scratch it. This is also new since the colic.

Today, I was hanging out with her in the field and she asked me to scratch her. I scratched her a bit and then told her no more, at which point she got down a rolled instantly and then returned back to her friends.

She is eating, drinking, pooing and weeing normally.

She has been wormed with strongid p double dose, panacur 5 day, strongid p 6 weeks after 1 st dose and equest pramox. Not all at once, but within the 6 months I've had her.

Whilst she was in during the day, I can't see any evidence that she's been bum scratching.

I'm at a loss. I am considering getting the vet out but just wondering what you all thought?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
She could be a bit sore from the rectal examination although it was 11 days ago now, so my guess would be she is just very itchy from moulting, both my horses will ask for a bum scratch especially when moulting so maybe she has just sussed that it feels nice! I wouldn't be letting her roll while being led that is dangerous and not something you want her to get into the habit of doing so young.

popsdosh

Visit site
My yearling ( 10.5 months old) developed spasmodic colic 11 days ago. This was treated by my vet with buscopan, pain relief, rectal examination ( normal) , temperature checked (38) and lactate levels checked.

She came out of the sedation( used to perform rectal) and was very distressed. She was trying to jump out the stable and backing up to wall scratching her bottom. She has never shown bottom discomfort before this moment. Her distress was eased by bringing others in to accompany her and the bottom problem stopped then too.

Her colic symptoms have gone and she was gradually introduced back to the grass by coming in during the day and out at night.

I groomher every evening before she goes out, and she is moulting like no tomorrow. She was not rugged in winter thus having a full winter coat to shed, she loves the shedding blade on her!

Every evening when I lead her from her stable to her field ( 100 metres approximately) she gets down to roll on the dry part of the walk there. There is no faffing, she just collapses down and She has a good roll and then gets up and continues walking to the field, and grazes happily with the others afterwards.

This is new. She never used to roll when being led.

She also swings her Arse at me and back into me to ask me to scratch it. This is also new since the colic.

Today, I was hanging out with her in the field and she asked me to scratch her. I scratched her a bit and then told her no more, at which point she got down a rolled instantly and then returned back to her friends.

She is eating, drinking, pooing and weeing normally.

She has been wormed with strongid p double dose, panacur 5 day, strongid p 6 weeks after 1 st dose and equest pramox. Not all at once, but within the 6 months I've had her.

Whilst she was in during the day, I can't see any evidence that she's been bum scratching.

I'm at a loss. I am considering getting the vet out but just wondering what you all thought?

She is shedding!!

TheMule

Visit site
A yearling is very small for a rectal- Langford didn't want to rectal my yearling as it can cause some considerable discomfort and can damage the bowel. Perhaps its that still

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
It's her first time of losing a coat and she is being sensible to get down on hard ground which will scratch an itch far better than a soggy wet field and with more room than a box. Anything hard will do to scratch that infernal itch, the same as the bum scratch; all of mine indulge in it and I humour it as long as it doesn't get aggressive; any hint of malice in their bum swings gets a bucket/brush, whatever's to hand up the same bum and no mistake. They soon learn your limits. I'd indulge her in this until she's stopped shedding properly then insist she walks to and from the field properly.

She could also still be sore from the rectal which will take time to clear.

Merlod

Visit site
Is she quite fluffy and/or rugged? Sounds a lot like my shetland - he gets quite itchy (double coat) when he starts moulting and his favourite places to throw himself for a good roll/scratch is by the gate area of the field as it's firmer because there is hardcore mixed in, or even in the driveway!! I know you said you groom her before she goes out, but i'd pick up a bog standard shedding blade and just work on shedding her instead - 3 out of 4 of my natives are unclipped and they LOVE being shed this time of year.

jaffa2311

Visit site
She's EXTREMELY fluffy. She's not been rugged properly in winter, as I wanted her to be left reasonably natural.
She owns a lightweight turnout that is used in heavy, constant rain and cold only.
I only groom with a shedding blade currently, brushes don't touch the sides at the moment.

I feel reassured that you all think it is nothing. I am a very anxious person and have been symptom watching with her constantly since the colic and convinced myself she has some nasty, underlying fatal disease yet not really enough concrete evidence to phone my vet.

I did tell my vet about the bottom rubbing on the night of the colic, and she was not alarmed and mentioned pin worm. However, the onset begun that night, so I felt this was unlikely.

I can't believe how much I love this filly after only 6 months and I would hate her to be suffering. I do have another horse which I love and have loved insufferably for 8 years too, and I just can't believe how attached I am after such a short time.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
She had the stress of weaning a few monhs ago - and the stress of colic and a rectal - I would whack her straight onto 5 Nexium tablets a day - for a fortnight - and see if you see a difference. I suspect ulcers - they're quite common in young hrses who have a couple of stressful experiences. Nexium is available off E-bay at a decent price so it won't break the bank. Getting her scoped will cost a lot more (and add to the stress) and the 'official' medication is much dearer. Just check the prices carefully - some can be reasonable - some unduly expensive - so do the math.