Advice/opinions desperately needed.

sweets123545

Visit site
Hello all I am having to resort to these forums for some advice. Please read below I will make it short as possible.

I am 20 years old and have a full time apprenticeship with long hours. My horse is on full 7 day livery due to my working commitments and demands. I cannot drive because I genuinely cannot afford driving lessons with my apprenticeship wages and my horse takes up about 80% of my money after his feed, shoes, insurance, livery bill etc.

My parents are good (they take me to see my horse each day) however aren’t in the financial situation to help me with my driving lessons. I really need to start driving but genuinely cannot see how this is financially possible with my horse. I want to train to be a student paramedic but need to have had a license for 1 year so am desperate to obtain it for this reason in particular.

I have 2 options that I can think of…
I can sell him.
I could retire him for a while and put him on a grass livery.

I absolutely adore my horse and it’s breaking my heart having to write this but I am not sure who else to turn to - I don’t have a great relationship with my mum or dad and my friends are not horsey. I love my horse so much and have had him since he was 3 years old (now nearly 7). He is honestly the best thing in my world and just the thought of selling him makes me sob but I cannot see how I will ever be able to afford driving lessons or begin the stepping stones in my life.

Unfortunately DIY livery or assisted livery isn’t really an option for me due to work commitments as mentioned. I don’t finish work until 5:30pm and most yards like your horse to be mucked out before it comes in from the field.

Please no nasty comments I am seeking genuine advice and opinions. What would you do in my situation?

Thanks all x

HashRouge

Visit site
7 day full livery will cost a huge amount more than any grass livery I can think of. If there are good options for grass livery where you live, I would go with this option. You don't need to retire him either - no reason why you can't ride from the field if you would like to.
You could also look for someone to loan him, but obviously you need to be prepare for him to be sent back.

sweets123545

Visit site
What is your full apprenticeship in? Is it leading to the goal of training to be a trainee paramedic?

Would you be able to change jobs to earn more, to get a licence to drive, to start training to be a paramedic?

Unfortunately it’s not related at all. It’s a customer service advisor apprenticeship that I am doing now. I need to drive for a year and have a C1 license too then apply directly to my local ambulance service to become a student paramedic as I meet all other qualifications.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Unfortunately it’s not related at all. It’s a customer service advisor apprenticeship that I am doing now. I need to drive for a year and have a C1 license too then apply directly to my local ambulance service to become a student paramedic as I meet all other qualifications.

Could you quit this job and find something with hours can do DIY or money to pay for part livery and driving lessons.

If it’s not a fun job or a career direction and it’s long hours snd low pay, why do it?

sweets123545

Visit site
Is there a reason why he can’t live out ?

I am sure he would be okay living out but my yard doesn’t offer this. Only reason he is on a livery yard as we use all the facilities (indoor school, set of full show jumps etc) He gets ridden about 5/6 days a week.

Only reservations I have with living out is I wouldn’t be able to school him if ground isn’t right and he is slightly lami

JackFrost

Visit site
Grass livery. A year off or in light work will be fine for him - you know him so can restart him again easily or just keep him ticking over in the meantime. It will be a great investment of your time and money for your future, and he will be there waiting for you.

You are handling some big decisions really well, you sound very responsible and mature, so I'm sure you will make this work. DONT sell him - he sounds too good!

Melandmary

Visit site
I was going to suggest grass livery but if he is lami prone perhaps not. I would absolutely not sell him, he means too much to you. In your shoes i would adverise him for part loan and use the money to pay for lessons. Sounds like your yard has good facilities for loaner ti benefit from and no jobs to do so they could make a decent contribution. You also keep your horse happy and settled in his own yard and routine

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Unfortunately DIY livery or assisted livery isn’t really an option for me due to work commitments as mentioned. I don’t finish work until 5:30pm and most yards like your horse to be mucked out before it comes in from the field.

That’s certainly not been my experience of DIY yards, at all.

Realistically, people have to work to afford the expensive hobby of horse ownership. I would guess that the majority of us on here have horses on some sort of livery. That means looking after our horses around our working hours. Very few on here have them on full livery. It means early mornings and/or late nights.

I would move to DIY that offers services. That will cut your costs enormously. Yard puts horse out in the morning, and brings in (if needed), you rock up after work. Bring in, muck out, ride.

sweets123545

Visit site
Can you get a sharer for a few days a week? Their financial contribution could fund your driving lessons and no doubt offer some help. Find a part/ DIY yard too?

yes that wouoe be

Realistically, people have to work to afford the expensive hobby of horse ownership. I would guess that the majority of us on here have horses on some sort of livery. That means looking after our horses around our working hours. Very few on here have them on full livery. It means early mornings and/or late nights.

I would move to DIY that offers services. That will cut your costs enormously. Yard puts horse out in the morning, and brings in (if needed), you rock up after work. Bring in, muck out, ride.

We have been to 2 yards in the past and done this as it’s a good idea. Both yards knew my working hours but had unfortunately got very funny with me after a while of being there for not being able to muck out before he comes in to his stable and made the atmosphere for me very uncomfortable.

Flicker

Visit site
First things first, sit down and work out how much money you’ll need to be saving each month to cover driving lessons. Most people have one a week (from what I recall from my learner driver days) so ring around a few driving schools and get some prices. Also, remember, the cheapest ones will probably be cheap for a reason and it may take you longer and be more expensive in the long run to pass.

Once you know how much you’ll need to save, this will give you a good idea of what options you will need to seriously consider. If it is loads, then maybe a full loan might be the option that you need to take, whereas if it is only a portion of your current livery fees, maybe you can consider a share or other arrangement such as an assisted DIY yard. Amymay’s experience of DIY chimes with mine - the YM was not fussed about horses coming in to mucky stables as long as they came in to a net and fresh water bucket. She was more annoyed with horses standing in for hours on the weekend when their lazy owners were sleeping…. A lot of us only had time to chuck out in the morning, throw in a net and fill the water bucket. The yard brought in and we mucked out while they were cooling off after a ride.

You say your horse is a bit prone to laminitis - if that is the case you would need to be careful with a choice of grass livery or turning him away for a bit. But it is not impossible and I don’t know of any horses that have not benefitted in some way from a bit of down time.

Flicker

Visit site
yes that wouoe be

We have been to 2 yards in the past and done this as it’s a good idea. Both yards knew my working hours but had unfortunately got very funny with me after a while of being there for not being able to muck out before he comes in to his stable and made the atmosphere for me very uncomfortable.
Ah just read this last bit, that’s a shame.

meleeka

Visit site
Is there a point to the apprenticeship? Sometimes it’s just a way of cheap labour for employers, which is why I ask.

A sharer could work well. You wouldn’t be able to ride 6 days a week, but the contribution they make financially would hopefully make enough difference so you could start lessons. Even better if it’s someone who could do stable duties so you can reduce your livery bill on some days.

sweets123545

Visit site
Is there a point to the apprenticeship? Sometimes it’s just a way of cheap labour for employers, which is why I ask.

A sharer could work well. You wouldn’t be able to ride 6 days a week, but the contribution they make financially would hopefully make enough difference so you could start lessons. Even better if it’s someone who could do stable duties so you can reduce your livery bill on some days.

Nope. Being quite honest I really dislike my job and dread the thought of work. I cannot wait to change careers and do something I actually want to do.

I’m definitely going to consider a loan option :)

meleeka

Visit site
Nope. Being quite honest I really dislike my job and dread the thought of work. I cannot wait to change careers and do something I actually want to do.

I’m definitely going to consider a loan option :)
If you don’t enjoy it and it’s not going anywhere have a look at what else is available. You could work in a supermarket and not dislike it as much and you’d be earning a lot more money. Have a think about what sort of job could help with your paramedic training. That might give you some ideas of where to start looking.

Visit site

Snap, me either. Been on DIY 21years on various yards and never met that rule.

[QUOTE="Realistically, people have to work to afford the expensive hobby of horse ownership. I would guess that the majority of us on here have horses on some sort of livery. That means looking after our horses around our working hours. Very few on here have them on full livery. It means early mornings and/or late nights.

I would move to DIY that offers services. That will cut your costs enormously. Yard puts horse out in the morning, and brings in (if needed), you rock up after work. Bring in, muck out, ride.[/QUOTE]

This is what happens on 95% of the yards I've been on

teapot

Visit site
Given the backlog on driving tests (next available dates in my area are June 22...) especially if you're hoping to do a job that requires a full licence, I'd be making some changes as soon as you can. I would suggest finding a sharer asap and swapping to diy/part livery. Reduce your outgoings and up your ingoings from the sharer will help you, if you're not wanting to loan out.

30 hrs of lessons at £35 each (ball park figure) is just over £1000, plus theory at £23, and practical at £62. Also worth considering petrol costs when you're driving, insurance, and prices of used cars are bonkers at the moment too. If the apprenticeship isn't related in anyway, perhaps consider ditching it; you'd earn more doing HCA work at your local hospital which would also look good on your paramedic applications :)

twobearsarthur

Visit site
I would say the two DIY livery yards who were funny about you doing your mucking out etc after work are the exception not the rule.

Over the past 40 years I’ve been on at least 10 yards and have never known this.

I would either do my jobs when I went at the crack of Dawn before work or when I finished work (sometimes not arriving at the yard until after 8pm I’m a nurse so worked 8-8) the DIYs I’ve known, the owners had very little to do with the management of the horses hence them being DIY.

As previous posters have said most people who own a horse have to work and have to look after them around their working hours so this is common

I would definitely have a look around at other DIY livery options (I’ve been on full and DIY and the cost difference is huge)

I would also look at a change of job knowing what apprentices get paid (and this apprenticeship not being a part of your future career) it might be better for you to look at a job that pays better until your ready to start your paramedic course.

Start with the least worst solution (DIY) then if it isn’t viable, possible loan/share, then as a last resort think about selling.

I had to sell my beloved mate due to my divorce so I know how it feels to have to make that difficult decision, but knowing I’d exhausted all other options at the time at least I knew I’d tried everything I could before I had to let her go.

PurBee

Visit site
Full loan if you wont seriously miss riding your horse, and want to save a lot of time/money per month.

Loan aspects to consider: get a written contract signed by both parties to know ‘rules’ of the loan. Bare in mind also, loaner might want to give horse back earlier than loan term due to any reason, so be prepared for that possibility. Find a loaner who youre happy with, their riding ability and aspirations with your horse/horse care knowledge matches what youd want for him. Also consider injury on loan, medical insurance etc.

Some loans work fab, others can go pear-shaped, so contracts are a must. Dont blindly trust just anyone. Many loaners say horse to be loaned kept at same yard.

Sharing is somewhat easier as youre still involved with your horse - if you went diy youd save money, youd get help with chores on their days and extra £ for driving lessons. Would you consider a yard change to one more flexible about your after work yard hours on diy?

I did an intensive driving course for 300 quid @22yrs ago- 3/4 lessons per week, found a great freelancing driving instructor. I passed first time and wasnt a confident learner by any means….really quite a nervous wreck tbh! I got my license quickly for my job too. Having lots of lessons per week helped me not forget what i learnt from the previous lesson, and helped me build confidence. Have a look to check if intensive courses are still available - i got a hefty discount booking it all and paying upfront for all the lessons.

Olly's crew

Visit site
Firstly, I really feel for you, and guess many people have been in situations that lead to similar thoughts.
OK so these are obviously my thoughts based on my mindset and outlook :)
1. You are at a stage in your life where you want to do new and wonderful things (as is right and proper) with your career. Also you need to learn to drive. The simple time/ money equation is not working at the moment. Your studies and plans will take time and a lot of energy and you still have to live xx.
2 Loaning comes with risks, as of course selling and if you move to grass livery, you will still have bills. Also, what if your horse becomes ill and needs other facilities (eg box rest). Also grass livery takes away facilities that help you enjoy your boy, especially dark nights and bad weather.
3. I would take the understandably very difficult decision and sell. I would vet the person as much as you can, and do the very best to ensure he has a lovely home (they are out there, he found you after all).
4. I would maintain connections with horsey people and get my horsey fix without the ownership until I was able to get back into ownership, guilt-free and compromise free, when I feel ready to do this xxx

Whatever you choose I wish you the very best xx