Advice, please about how to find a dog?

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
If anyone could spare some time to advise me, I would be grateful. I'm a stranger here in All About Dogs.

I would like a dog. I'd much rather rehome a more mature animal than have a youngster. We have a large, enclosed garden, and it wouldn't be on its own much: my elderly, retired parent would appreciate the company, but I would be doing the vast majority of the walking and work full time so something not manic but happy to keep me company for a mile or two. We often have my brother's dog to stay over, though, so it would need to be accepting of other dogs. No children involved. In my head I can see how it would work - I'm not being daft, am I?

So, I've asked Google to find me animal rescues, animal rehoming, wandered around Preloved - that kind of thing. All the rescue centres nearby seem to want to rehome dogs from Romania or Greece. What on earth is that all about? Can anyone advise me how to find a suitable centre that doesn't want me to take something that sounds like a feral street dog? Or am I over-reacting and actually they are fine?

I've always quite fancied a retired greyhound, but I've never had dealings with them, all my previous dogs have been terrier-ish.

Thanks for any advice!

{97702}

Visit site
Oh dear - prepare for a long read here - every loving home deserves a retired greyhound, and the home you are offering sounds perfect :)

Greyhounds are wonderful to live with - they are laid back, quiet, they love fuss and attention without being demanding, they will take as much or as little exercise as you would like to give them and they are incredibly easy and gentle to be around.

They walk perfectly on the lead (a left-over from their days in training) and are quite happy to stay on the lead for walks - but then again, if there is an enclosed space where they can play, they are absolutely delightful and will make you laugh out loud as they do their ‘zoomies’ around :D

Dogs - in my opinion - are more loving and ‘into you’ than bitches, but they can also be a bit clingy at times as they love you SO much that they want to be THIS near to you always.....bitches are more self contained and are still very affectionate

Not all greyhounds will be safe with cats or small furry animals, so if that is important to you then you may have to wait a little longer for the right hound. Every greyhound I’ve had has been lovely with other dogs, although my big Hoover hound - who came straight from his trainer to me - was the most ‘institutionalised’ hound I’ve had, he took some time before he even realised that there were other dogs that weren’t greyhounds and he wasn’t good with tiny breeds at first. He really was unusual though bless him!

House training is easy even if they’ve always been in kennels, and they generally eat well. Their teeth can be a problem if they’ve been in training, but that’s the only health problem I’ve ever had with them - the teeth may need regular cleaning and possibly extractions later in life, but having had 2 hounds with no teeth it really doesn’t bother them at all :)

Good charities are Forever Hounds, Retired Greyhound Trust, and Birmingham Greyhound Protection Trust (all have good websites) - there are sadly lots of greyhounds available for adoption, so it is worth while taking the time to explain exactly what your circumstances are so you can be matched to the right hound. From personal experience I would say the fewer ‘requirements’ you have about size, colour and sex the better - 10 years ago I was looking for a big black greyhound dog and I came away with a little white greyhound bitch who is mad as a box of frogs and has been an absolutely wonderful to live with for all this time :) :) :)

As you can tell, I’m a big greyhound fan :p - I’ve had them for nearly 20 years now and I wouldn’t have any other breed - but there are lots of other HHOers who are slightly less mad who also have greyhounds so don’t worry, you won’t end up like me ;) :D