Advice please - fed up!

Syrah

Visit site
Today was a big fail! My mare is now living out with 4 other mares. She's happy and content which is fab.

But, I went to bring her in today to do some work with her. She let me catch her and put headcollar on which is great considering she was a nightmare to catch before.

We walked a few feet then the other mares came over and mine planted, wouldn't move at all. I tried zig zagging, circles but there was absolutely no shifting her.

Rather than just let her go, I gave her a bit of a groom then I had to let her go as I'd run out of time with my children to pick up.

Any advice very gratefully received. I was thinking of bringing her in tomorrow (if I can get her out of the field) and not working her. Just give her some chaff, a groom and then turn out again so that she doesn't associated coming in with just work. Then on Sunday, doing some ground work with her. I've only had her for a week, so the trust isn't there yet and she is quite bargy to lead.

Syrah

Visit site
Lol, the other mares belong to the YO who isn't necessarily around when I can be.

With my mare being a bit of a challenge to lead at the moment, I'm not confident to lead 2 at the same time.

It's not a busy yard as in lots of liveries, there's only me, one other livery who isn't there when I am and the YO. It's a busy yard in terms of the business YO runs.

Syrah

Visit site
OH was with me, I forgot to mention.

He took over thinking he could pull her in :rolleyes: "yes dear, 1/2 tonne of horse, that'll do it" Lol

Syrah

Visit site
I might try carrying a schooling whip then if she plants, don't turn round or get cross but just gently tap her behind you to encourage her to walk forward.

I'll do that tomorrow, thanks.

I can't blame her wanting to stay out, all of that yummy grass and friends to be with.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I might try carrying a schooling whip then if she plants, don't turn round or get cross but just gently tap her behind you to encourage her to walk forward.

Some horses really dislike this but will respond to you simply waving the stick towards the quarters. If OH is with you next time, she might walk on if he waves the stick behind her.
I do think that your idea of bringing in, feeding and turning back out is a good one. I would get her into a routine of coming in to a small feed every day, to build up good habits.

SillyFilly

Visit site
My filly sometimes decides her friends are more interesting to!!

Rather than take a whip in the field, which the other mares my take exception to, I tend to stand by her shoulder in normal 'leading' postion and flick her with the end of my rope...(flick round the back of me so rope tickles her belly).

It dosent hurt or scare the life out of her, yet just reminds her im there and I expect her come with me.....its worked so far,lol!

Good luck and enjoy!!:D

Kat

Visit site
I'd flick her with the end of the rope if she really won't move, she is trying her luck and you need to be firm.