Advice please!! Horse has rash? Hives or heat lumps?

RhiRoyal29

New User
Visit site
Looking for advice on a rash my horse has over her body I have tried to attached a picture but it won’t let me.

It started Sunday and has spread more and more over her neck and body over the past 4/5 days now they are everywhere but her legs/face, they look like hives/heat lumps but i don’t know if she is having a allergy reaction or if I am putting to many rugs on and it’s heat lumps.

Nothing has change in her diet, bedding, turn out, everything is the same which is why I’m a bit confused as to where this has come from.

Today I have started putting less/lighter weight rugs on to see if that makes any difference. I have been told if I leave it, it might clear up on its own?

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Denbob

Visit site
Is she itchy and trying to roll in her rugs? In which case I'd agree and say heat - not sure where you are but certainly here t it's been loads warmer and have not been rugging at all.

RhiRoyal29

New User
Visit site
Is she itchy and trying to roll in her rugs? In which case I'd agree and say heat - not sure where you are but certainly here t it's been loads warmer and have not been rugging at all.

She hasn’t been itchy and she doesn’t seem to be rolling any more than she did with out the rash.

She is a fully clipped of the track Tb which is why I keep her rugged up, the temperature has gone up this week compared to last week which is why I think it might be heat lumps

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
My tb came out in hives recently, I've been travelling and it gets worse when I am away. For that reason I think it may be heat lumps as when I'm around I'll have rugs off while I groom and ride etc but when I'm away his stable rug will be on consistently.

RhiRoyal29

New User
Visit site
My tb came out in hives recently, I've been travelling and it gets worse when I am away. For that reason I think it may be heat lumps as when I'm around I'll have rugs off while I groom and ride etc but when I'm away his stable rug will be on consistently.

Do you consult a vet about it? How long has yours had hives now?

criso

Visit site
Do you consult a vet about it? How long has yours had hives now?

I didn't because they came and went when I was back plus he wasn't itchy or bothered. They weren't increasing. If they came and increased I might consult a vet but having had a horse in the past with allergies, the main thing is detective work to see what is causing it. A horse can develop an allergy where one has not been there before, the one in the past turned out to be allergic to shavings having been OK with them previously.

However the vet can give an injection to bring the rash down. It will reappear if the allergen is still around but it gives relief if they are itchy.

RhiRoyal29

New User
Visit site
Here is a picture if this helps? She had a lighter turn out on today but after checking her tonight they still look the same. I have just left her in a fleece in her stable overnight with the hope they will go down tomorrow

Attachments

• 42F47892-F601-43ED-B4AF-C965C5149EA4.jpeg
    42F47892-F601-43ED-B4AF-C965C5149EA4.jpeg
    716.8 KB · Views: 9

RhiRoyal29

New User
Visit site
It could be over heating as it's got much warmer now maybe try a thinner rug and see if it helps.

Finally figured out how to download picture, what are your thoughts now you can see what they look like?

Attachments

• 83CE1B5D-0987-4F79-93E2-7B29AA031D0C.jpeg
    83CE1B5D-0987-4F79-93E2-7B29AA031D0C.jpeg
    716.8 KB · Views: 3

RhiRoyal29

New User
Visit site
I didn't because they came and went when I was back plus he wasn't itchy or bothered. They weren't increasing. If they came and increased I might consult a vet but having had a horse in the past with allergies, the main thing is detective work to see what is causing it. A horse can develop an allergy where one has not been there before, the one in the past turned out to be allergic to shavings having been OK with them previously.

However the vet can give an injection to bring the rash down. It will reappear if the allergen is still around but it gives relief if they are itchy.
Did they look like this? Not sure how long I should leave it before calling a vet it started 5 days ago and now looks like this

Attachments

• 1252828C-DCCC-47FF-AED1-B83882D46E8B.jpeg
    1252828C-DCCC-47FF-AED1-B83882D46E8B.jpeg
    716.8 KB · Views: 3

criso

Visit site
Yes but probably not as many. If you put a lighter rug, maybe leave her naked while you're around I would see if they improve rapidly. If they don't I'd be inclined to get the vet out.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It could be heat I have seen similar happen with a horse that was over rugged, how long ago was she clipped? Have you used any sprays or anything new? Has the rug been cleaned? Just trying to rule everything out!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Tbh I would get the vet to look at that if it does not disappear very quickly .
That could be a fungal infection .
But clipper oil does that to H .