Advice please... I cannot canter!

Minnies_Mum

Visit site
I'm wondering if anyone can give me any help with this, as I'm getting pretty despondent!

I can't get horses to canter. My own horse is retired now, so I'm riding a variety of other people's and I can't get any of them to do it.... so it's clearly something I'm doing wrong. My own horse wasn't a problem, he's very responsive and all he wants to do is canter anyway, but the new rides I have are much more laid back.

I'm having lessons, but the horse I ride (she only has 2 lesson horses) is notoriously difficult to get into canter anyway (most people find it hard) so I don't think he's helping!

When I ask for canter the horse (whichever one!) ends up running, although less so now, now it's nore like nothing happens at all! I've tried sitting for longer before I ask, I've tried not sitting at all (in case it's my inability to sit to the trot properly that is making me tense up), I've tried really exagerrating my aids and putting my leg RIGHT back but none of it is working
confused.gif

It never used to be a problem, now it's this big thing (which I think is part of it, I have a mental issue now) and I dread my instructor saying the "c word" (!) because I know it won't happen and I get so frustrated.

Cookies if you got this far, does anyone have any suggestions? My instructor even said she didn't have any more ideas in my last lesson!

Apercrumbie

Visit site
When I had this problem, I found that I was slouching in the saddle and making a 'c' shape with my back. The moment my instructor yelled at me to sort it out, funnily enough the horse cantered beautifully!!
grin.gif

You've probably tried this, but it's worth a shot, and dw, you'll get there in the end!!

annret

Visit site
Argh, the joys of lesson horses. You need to find something different to ride to be honest. I struggled to canter for so long until I got my horse; then it became my favourite thing.

Some people just ride responsive horses better and sounds like you're one of them!

Minnies_Mum

Visit site
That's the problem, I do ride other horses and they don't canter for me either! The lesson horse is actually a full livery who she gives lessons on, so it's not like he's a "riding school horse", as such.

I'm prefectly prepared to accept that I'm the problem not the horses, I just wish I could sort it out!

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
I would say try and find a different horse to ride and maybe even a different instructor! I have to say yours hardly inspires confidence when she says she doesn't know what else to suggest!!I had a phase when the getting a canter seemed almost impossible - went back a few steps and had a couple of lessons on the lunge which helped no end and now it has unscrambled my mind and the block has gone and canter just happens!!

annret

Visit site
It's a horrible vicious cycle though because I'm sure the horses know you're worried about it so make it hard for you!
What are your hands doing?
Do the horses you ride go better in a light seat?
If so, then sit out and place your hands on a neckstrap and kickkkk!!!

Minnies_Mum

Visit site
I have to say I haven't been back for a lesson since she said she didn't know what to do with me! I have a free day on Thursday and I was thinking about it, but I'm really worried I won't be able to get even one step of canter (like last time) and I'll come away feeling terrible again.

I was very tired in my last lesson (I was on-call the night before and had only had about 4 hours sleep) so I might find that in a better frame of mind it will be better.

teddyt

Visit site
Make sure you are keeping a contact when you ask and not tipping forward. Also make sure you dont start to grip with your legs or brace your back when you ask as you will be telling the horse to go and stop at the same time. Try out on a hack, on a nice long track or field and stay relaxed. In your efforts to canter you may be getting tense which tells the horse to stop! They can feel a fly so they can feel you if you are gripping!
You could also try jumpinga small jump and then cantering, using the momentum from the jump. If what you have tried so far isnt working, change it! Dont bang your head against a brick wall. Try other things to help you identify where you are going wrong

Minnies_Mum

Visit site
I'm sure this is also true, the horses must know it's an issue for me. My hands have a tendency to go forwards and sort of "throw" the reins at the horse, but I've been working really hand on this with my instructor and even when I manage to keep them back, something else goes tits up and I still don't get canter! Soooo frustrating!

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
Is there another yard you go to for a lesson? I'm just thinking that maybe a fresh horse/pair of eyes may be more productive for you, as there will be no background stress/pressure about you cantering. Once you get your confidence back that you can do it you will be able to canter on anything again.

I found it helped me immensely when I had to go and have some lessons with a different horse and instructor when mine was on box rest. Just said I wanted to improve my riding in general and 6 - 8 weeks later was a changed rider and was helped hugely by riding a schoolmaster that knew his job.

Minnies_Mum

Visit site
I think you've just described exactly what I do. At the moment I've got no opportunity to hack out but the problem does seem to have started since I stopped being able to, now that I think of it.

Thanks for the advice everyone, it's nice to know others have had the problem too and got over it!

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
QR
Don't worry - this mental block about cantering is very common (just lots of people don't admit it
wink.gif
).
I can offer a few tips, but on a forum, am limited in what I can do.

1. Make sure you are asking for canter in the easiest place in the school - after a long side, going into the first corner, or on a 20m circle. This helps your horse go onto the correct lead.

2. You need to worry less about the canter, and more about the quality of the trot you have before even thinking about asking for the transition. The trot should be rhythmical, forwards thinking, and for the last few strides, before asking, you should take sitting trot softly. In the walk and trot parts of your lesson, ask yourself 'Is the horse in front of my leg' i.e. if you give a little squeeze, does he react by moving forward? If the answer is 'no' then you need to reinforce your leg aid with a tap from the stick, then praise him when he does go forward.
grin.gif

3. Do you know the correct canter aids - sit deep and tall, inside leg on the girth (asks for impulsion), outside leg behind the girth (asks for the horse to strike off into canter using the outside hind leg), inside rein (asks gently for bend), outside rein (controls the pace). If he is running, the chances are that you are throwing the reins forward, thus encouraging him to fall onto his forehand and run. Instead, sit still, and tall, and just gently move your outside leg back a twitch.

4. Avoid the Vulcan death grip
tongue.gif
with your legs - if you are squeezing his intestines out through his nose while asking for canter, you are trying too hard
grin.gif
and need to go back to walk/trot to make sure he respects your leg aids. Too often riders tip forward, throw the reins, grip like monkeys with their legs, while the horse runs in a tooth-loosening trot.

5. If this happens, go rising, steady the trot by squeezing gently on the outside rein, lean back a fraction, and ask again on the next suitable corner.

6. When you achieve canter, say 'Won-der-ful, won-der-ful, won-der-ful' to yourself in rhythm with the three beat canter (this ensures you breathe and do not turn slowly blue before expiring as you canter round
wink.gif
).

7. Very often if your instructor puts a pole on the ground in the corner, the horse will be encouraged to canter.

8. Mentally imagine yourself riding beautifully still and correct canter transitions, or watch other riders, and imagine you are them (mental practice works).

Good luck.
S
grin.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Shils, that's given me lots to think about. I think there is a certain amount of number 4 going on, especially the more times I have tried and failed!

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif
I speak of No 4 from experience. Normally it is a sign that the horse isn't really in front of your leg, which is the real problem.
Have you tried asking for canter direct from walk? On a well schooled horse, you may find it easier as it avoids all that unseemly boob-bouncing, toothrattling sitting trot and allows you to keep your composure?
S
grin.gif

Jellicle

Visit site
I would definitely agree with trying to relax - I have had this problem myself! The more tense you get the less balanced and forward thinking the horse will be. It sounds like this horse takes advantage of that to run on instead of changing pace.

Would also agree with a lunge lesson or perhaps using your voice with your aids (say 'can-ter') as you ask so the horse is clear what you want.

lillith

Visit site
Lol, no. 4 is, I'm sure, recognised by anyone who has ever learned to ride, I did it at the start, hell I still do it now if its all going tits up and the big fat cob WONT GO. I know how frustrating it is when things just wont work out however hard you try but I have found that sometime trying hard is the problem. All the stressy mental blockage people have mentioned.

Go out on a hack, get into light seat and get someone to give you a lead into canter, go for a fun run in a nice enclosed big field where even if you do lose control it doesnt matter cos you can just canter round for a while untill they decide their tired and whoop as you go. Its fun remember.

Also I wouldnt, of course, recomend something so terribly dangerous
wink.gif
as bareback riding, insurance and all that
crazy.gif
but its actualy realy fun, good for your balance and helps as your aids are that much closer to the horse. If you can find a nice calm beastie to borrow (owner willing of course) and a nice soft arena its great.

If not without stirrups (I know horrible) can also help you relax your leg right down and round before you ask rather than clamping with your knees, it'll also give you a real incentive to avoid that speedrun trot you've been getting
tongue.gif
although downward transitions can be a little wobly untill you get the hang of comming straight back to a nice trot.

canteron

Visit site
Get someone to video you trying to canter - I bet that you then see what is happening and solve it yourself and learn lots about your riding in the process.

I remember that one instructor used to say that it was more like changing gear than going faster in the same gear - don;t know if that helps but the analogy helped me when riding a horse that tends to run.

Chumsmum

Visit site
Its not that long ago I was learning to ride and used to get so frustrated with canter, I used to really struggle on the riding school horses. One of the reasons I bought my pony is that he was so easy to canter compared to the RS horses.

A couple of things I would suggest is perhaps having a lunge lesson on a horse that is safe and used to voice commands so you can concentrate on yourself? Also try and relax, I'm guessing you don't get bothered by the walk to trot transistion? Try and think of canter as just 'another' transistion and that it's no big deal.

Is it usually easier to canter them on a hack or in a field, I only have to 'think' canter sometimes and off my pony goes but I have to concentrate and get him going off the leg more before we canter in a school.

Good luck
smile.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I understand what people are saying about cantering on the lunge, but if your instructor and horse are not experienced and/or don't do it regularly, it can have a certain 'wall of death feel' due to the centrifugal force.
If you are not nervous of hacking, OP, you could try cantering in a light seat up a slight incline.
S
grin.gif

j1ffy

Visit site
I know how you feel, having moved back to RS horses myself and felt like I had run a marathon by the end of each lesson! My main fault is throwing the reins at the horse in a desperate attempt to get them to canter (it works for John Wayne, why not me?!) but this has the opposite effect and usually ends up with them running on. I would say, as others have, sit deep, keep a contact and get a decent trot first. If they run on, bring them back into a rhythm and wait until the next corner before asking again. And definitely give them a flick with a schooling whip if they don't go off the leg, it's more effective than inaccurate kicking!

Good luck!

Gorgeous George

Visit site
I used to have this problem too, my problem was not being able to sit to the trot very well and bouncing about as I asked for canter - poor horses! So I got a balance strap for the front of the saddle and used this to balance myself so I could concentrate on giving the aids properly and it really helped. I also made a really conscious effort to do a few half-halts before asking and this helped me and George prepare ourselves!!

Natch

Visit site
Lots of good advice already, and I'd especially second/third the people who have said try a different instructor and different horse - is there a decent RS locally you can go for a one off private lesson with? If you ring beforehand and explain your problem, and ask for an obedient and forward going horse that might really help!
smile.gif

Just another thing to try too, when F and I were having problems getting a decent canter transition becuase he was rushing in trot a lot, we had a couple of lessons when our instructor chased him on with a lunge whip at the right moment, which really helped.

I was also told to give one, clear aid and wait... I think it can be a common mistake that people hassle and hassle when they want a canter right NOW, when in reality sometimes horses can take a moment to think about what is being asked for. If you give one clear aid and wait, you're not hassling them into running in trot either
smile.gif

Hopefully once you've done it successfully a few times you will believe it in your head, which I think is half the battle. One of the schooling moments I was most proud of was when we were having problems with canter (we went through a stage of LOTS of these
wink.gif
) and my instructor said "just pretend he's a grand prix dressage horse and think he can already do it," lo and betold we then had a wonderful canter!
grin.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
and my instructor said "just pretend he's a grand prix dressage horse and think he can already do it," lo and betold we then had a wonderful canter!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to have a GP dressage horse on shared loan, and after we'd cantered, it wasn't him that was sweating, puffing and had to lie on the floor for half an hour, red-faced.
S
grin.gif

Natch

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I used to have a GP dressage horse on shared loan, and after we'd cantered, it wasn't him that was sweating, puffing and had to lie on the floor for half an hour, red-faced.
S
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh that reminds me of a dressage yard I used to have lessons at!
smirk.gif
It was incredibly cliquey, and owner took a dislike to me and swapped me from the lovely horse I usually got to the most stubbon and least forward going thing I knew one week. Owner ignored me while I got incredibly red faced and sweaty just trying to work this horse in. I rode so badly that day, including using my schooling whip like a jump whip just because I was dammed if anything else I knew was working
shocked.gif
! Owner noticed this and said the one line he did all lesson to me "don't use your whip like that, that horse has won dressage competitions you know" and turned his attention back to someone else
mad.gif

It is to my eternal regret that I was too out of breath to shout back "Fine, I believe you, but tell me HOW?!"
smirk.gif

depurple1

Visit site
If you are riding a horse that you know will do it, could you try walk to canter?

This allows you to think more about your position and aids without worrying about sitting to the trot.

Minnies_Mum

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice everyone
smile.gif

I don't know if the horse I have lessons on knows about walk to canter, but I used to do it on my own horse and I can't imagine he was ever taught (but, as I say, his main aim in life was/is to canter everywhere!).

I'll ask my instructor.