Advice please - latest I can clip hairy pony to avoid moult!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I have a Welsh Sec A who has an incredibly dense and long (1-2") winter coat - I've had him 12 years and he's always been like this, so not worried about Cushings before anyone thinks that. He takes weeks to moult, it goes everywhere and being grey it just makes a mess everywhere. He is only used as a lead rein pony currently so is unclipped at the moment as he is not getting enough work to warrant a full clip.

In the past he has been clipped out and Spring was a far more pleasant experience! But these clips have always been done early in the winter.

How late do you reckon I can clip him? We only do PC and local low key things so nothing too important if I get it wrong, but wouldn't want to mess up his summer coat too much. I don't want to clip him too early because he hots up and I only have small children riding him at the moment.

If I waited until he just starts to lose a few hairs do you think that would that be ok? When in full moult it literally comes out in handfuls.

Advice from fellow hairy hippo owners would be much appreciated! :D

be positive

Visit site
As he is a grey you can get away with clipping at any time really, I used to clip my grey cob late spring and sometimes all summer and it never spoilt his coat it grew back much finer and was easier to keep clean for the shows.