Advice Please - Lorry Breakdown Cover

mcnaughty

Visit site
Recommendations please for lorry breakdown cover - horror or saviour back up stories always welcome to make up my mind on who to chose!!

Oh and particularly interested in spare wheel stories - I have a spare wheel but have been told by several buddies not to bother to carry a spare as when you have a flat the recovery people just bring a replacement anyway??

Thanks guys

eggs

Visit site
Best thing is to phone around but things I have learned to check for:

- are you covered if the lorry is parked up at your home / yard and won't start (quite a few don't seem to cover this)
- is there a distance limit from your home / yard
- will they transport your horses home or to suitable stabling if the lorry cannot be fixed

conniegirl

Visit site
Always carry a spare! Recovery people do not always carry spares and they will charge you huge amounts for the tyre and for delivery of the tyre to where ever you are. You could end up stuck for several hours if your lorry has a funny size tyre.

I've had a blow out on a motorway. Breakdown service sent a van out and changed my tyre to my spare in under an hour, a friend was in similar situation but didn't have a spare, cost her £600 for tyre and out of hours (5pm Sunday) delivery which had to be paid up front (tyre is £200 new in local tyre place) and took them 4 hrs to locate a mobile tyre service that has the right tyre.

I'm with ohto and can't fault them

soulfull

Visit site
I've just renewed mine with county insurance under written by equity star as they do not put boxes on the back of a trailer!! They did say I needed to carry a spare
£125

Attie

Visit site
I use equine rescue also- through shearwater insurance. I've used them once and they're v good. I'd say...definitely carry a spare! I have a 3.5 t which like most came without one ( as it adds weight and hard to accommodate it). I went out and brought one and now pack it in with my tack and water! I'd be really gutted if I only needed a wheel change and instead had to wait hours for a full recovery and had to move my horses into another lorry because I didn't have a spare!

OWLIE185

Visit site
You are always best to carry two spare wheels just in case you get a double blow out which can happen on the rear axle when one of two tyres fail and then the other one blows out so whoever told you that recovery always carry spare wheels is talking absolute nonsense. (There would be too many wheels for them to carry to cover every lorry!
When you choose breakdown cover you need to go to one of the three large ones as they will provide an alternative lorry to take your horses if your vehicle can not be repaired and will not piggy back your lorry or trailer.
The Organisation of Horsebox Owners and Trailers, PRP Rescue Services Ltd and Equine Rescue Service are the ones I would recommend. The Organisation of Horsebox Owners and Trailers and PRP Rescue Services Ltd are the same company)

lizziebell

Visit site
In the event that repairs can not be made roadside, I would always prefer my horses to be transported in another horsebox, rather than towed. However, there are circumstances where this is too dangerous. Breaking down on a motorway - I would most definitely not want to be handling my horses on the hard shoulder to unload and reload - (in to a strange lorry under stressful conditions).

Use Equine Rescue, and can't fault them.

mcnaughty

Visit site
Thanks guys - I thought it was bogus info - that's why I asked you lot! Where do you keep your spare? It is in the horse area at the moment because I only travel one small pony but wondered if I should attach it to the outside or underneath? I would need to get someone to fit a bracket - do you think a landrover one would work?

conniegirl

Visit site
A lot of companies will not get wheels from under lorries as the brackets tend to rust in place and end up having to be cut which puts their mechanics in danger whilst trying to get it down.
My spare wheel is in in my loo. We don't use the loo unless we are staying away so they are out of the way and at stay away shows we pop it in the horse area once horses are in the stables

foraday

Visit site
There are only 2 companies worth recommedations

PRP/OHTO and Equine Rescue Services

These are the only 2 I would recommend for anyone to be with

DO carry a spare, in the rare event they do not have your tyre size your spare will suffice.

mcnaughty

Visit site
OK - I am just going to add - in case someone does a google search in the future. ...

I had a good search around and got some prices and found that KBIS who the lorry is insured with do the home start, recover to home or wherever you want, tyre change etc for £150! That is half the price of some of them and I understand that even if you are not insured with them it is only £200.

She also said that a lot of people do not carry the spare due to weight issues but the price of the replacement is not covered so it could work out quite expensive to replace and also take some time!

Thanks for your help guys x

OWLIE185

Visit site
Check out if KBIS us the full policy of PRH/OHTO or Equine Rescue Services and if they don't then go to PRH/OHTO or Equine Rescue Services directly.

Spottyappy

Visit site
Equine rescue services are brilliant.
My friend borrowed my lorry and had a puncture. They sent someone to the show ground and replaced the tyre without having to pay on the spot, and invoiced me seperately. (Friend didn't have enough cash or card on her. )
I go through shearwater too, and they heavily discount the advertised premium, too.

equinerescue

Visit site
As others have said, DO carry a spare tyre!! Without one it really could cost you a fortune and may well take your equine rescue breakdown company much longer to get you back on the road. You will need to think about the weight though and don't forget to inspect it for pressure and roadworthy condition before you travel - it needs to be a legal spare tyre that works when you need it!!