Advice please - my showjumper is going showing!

Starzaan

Visit site
RIGHT,

so, as most of you know, my darling Roy boy is getting very old now, and obviously can't do as much as he used to. He's an ex Grade A sj and puissance horse, who has competed all over Europe, so obviously at the grand old age of 28 his legs are a bit iffy. He loves hunting, and so will be going out for an hour or so at a time for a few days this season, but he misses going to parties.

Before I got ill we were going out to the odd showjumping competition during the summer to keep him happy, and we'll do the odd SJ class now that I'm well enough to jump again, but I'd really like to get him out and about a bit more, so I thought I'd do a few ridden veteran classes with him.

Nothing massive, I don't want to get to HOYS or anything! I just want him to have some fun -he loves being plaited up and going to parties, and I think these would be parties that he could go to more regularly than showjumping parties.

Soo.... I have never had any interest in showing before. I've evented, and have worked in pretty much every sphere apart from showing - I know nothing! What on earth do I wear? What on earth should he wear? Do we have to do anything in particular, or do we just ponce around a bit?

Any help greatly appreciated. I've added a photo of him (he's the grey, the miserable black sod was not amused about posing after a morning's cubbing!) so that you can get the idea. He has brown tack as I loathe black, but apart from that I'm pretty much easy.
ETA - his tail is pulled and although his mane NEVER seems to grow, it's plaitable!

225113_10150179912597541_516807540_7235711_561950_n.jpg

HowenEdward

Visit site
Well Im more Working Hunter Pony and Mountain And Moorland so can't help much on the Ridden Vetran and Hunter side of things however basic clothing should consist of-

Tweed Jacket,
Off white or pale blue,purple,yellow etc shirt,
Matching tie,
Long boots,
Brown tack,
Discreet numnah or no numnah,
Brown show cane or crop,
Coloured browband to match clothes,
Matching hair scruchie for you,
No boots for him.

Thats a rough outline but the clothing is the same for both Hunter and Vetran usually, he looks lovely and should do very well :) It might be worth posting this in CR for gallons of far more experienced replies :rolleyes:

Starzaan

Visit site
Thank you - I shall go and post in CR now.

Thank you very much for your help. He IS lovely, and very bored with his lack of outings at the moment!