Advice please - new rider

BonnieChouls

New User
Visit site
I'm a beginner rider but really keen on sharing/ loaning a horse, so my question is, at what point would it be approppriate for me to approach owners as most ads quote experienced rider?

I'm 24 by the way.

GTs

Visit site
When you are capable of handling challanging situations (i.e. emergencies), and knowledgable enough to ensure the horse has proper correct care.

Sharing/Loan is a very difficult situation - you are responsible for someone elses horse - it is a big responsibility.

RunToEarth

Visit site
There is a post on here somewhere as what you woulddefine as an experienced rider, and I really think it differs. Obviouslyyou would need a thorough understanding of horse, how he works and functions, what to do when things go wrong, as Iain says, emergencies, and also not just become a rider, but a competant one. Its just as important to know your stuff off of the horse as it is when you are sat on his back.

clipclop

Visit site
If I were you I would continue getting your lessons and as much hands on experience as you can.
Then, I think you should advertise yourself. Be honest. Someone out there might think it would be nice to take someone under their wing and help you further your knowledge.
If you appear enthusiastic and honest, I am sure you will be getting some phone calls.
smile.gif

filly190

Visit site
I understand where you are coming from, it sounds like you want to spend more time around horses than what you are getting with an hours riding lessons. Totally understandable and of course you will learn and progress more quickly.

I think if you are willing to do work, learn and especially listen to a mentor you will take a lot of enjoyment out of the experience and come on in leaps and bounds.

I would advertise "yourself" and see what replies you get. In exchange for your financial assistance and hard work (poo picking etc all the mundane jobs as well as the nice ones) you would like to receive on going tution and the opportunity to become a sharer of a well schooled horse.

If you are honest about your abilities and let them know what you would like out of the arrangment I am sure you will find someone who will be happy with this. Some riding schools do arrangments such as these.

GTs

Visit site
Definitely be honest with your ability - I had this one girl who wanted to ride my horses, over the phone she sounded very confident, told me how she had a lot of riding experience, had won a number of competitions, etc. Came out I put her on Clarita - who if you can relax on a hot horse is very easy to ride - well this girl trotted maybe half the arena and then announced she just like walking Clarita. It was very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very funny! I was there with Claudio, my groom and we both cracked up over it.

PoppyPony

Visit site
heya,

I started off by loaning from a riding school, usually supervised but I got my own time with the horse as well, we got a really nice bond

from that I gained experience in mucking out, riding on my own, hacking etc etc so I felt I could go on to 'properly' loan a horse.

good luck!