advice please - nutter to clip!!

MrsMagoo

Visit site
Ok so this weekend, decided to re-clip girly (had already been clipped month before)...got one side done ok, move into next side and she decides to throw a hissy fit, broke the lead rope, tried kicking, rearing!! Now this is totally not like Star and first time before, she was really good....

So now I am left with a half done, patchy horse!! Have been practicing with small trimmers just to chill her out, but what else can I do. need to finish clipping her lol...
confused.gif

Sal_E

Visit site
Patience I'm afraid - put the clippers on her every day - do be very careful though as when they're not actually clipping, the blades get hotted FASTER. Is there a chance you knicked her or the blades got too hot?

samp

Visit site
Sounds like you may have nicked her or the blades ar too hot or pulling. Afraid it is a patience thing talk quietly. Is it the noise? The feel against her skin? Worse comes to worse you could try ACP to take the edge off from her?

MrsMagoo

Visit site
Brand new blades so know it wouldnt have been them!! She is ultra ticklish on parts but we dealt with that last time...

gona practice for few nights with trimmers and polos
smile.gif
and see what happens. Have also brought some Equine America So Calm just in case....

ajb

Visit site
sounds exactly like mine a few years ago, was balnket clipped and perfect, went to reclip and ok then a month later clip and wham he was a nutter, now use IV sedation as tried ACP and nothing worked..hes very senstive skin and although I blamed all sorts of things I think now it was me getting the clippers too hot and as he was already clipped of course the skin was even more sensitive...sorry tried the hairdryer, mini clippers etc etc but in the end I just use the vet and get it done hes too big to be struggling around the stable with!

jayvee

Visit site
for the last 8 seasons clipping my mare has never been a doddle! She has never improved (she's 18 FGS). Infact, as you clip through-out each season she seriously gets worse!
Funny thing it's only her head and neck that cause the prob. She will happily munch on a hay net whilst doing the rest of the body.
What i do now is at the start give her a few runs of the cold clippers on her shoulder, so she knows whats going on/gonna happen. Then I twitch her (I hate it but it's short lived and a darn sight cheaper than vet+sedation). I have to have a strong person to hold her by the twitch as she still will try to jerk and lunge about abit, another trick was to face her in a corner so she can't lunge forward, she stands still then! It works.
I can now clip her like that, funny thing is she never ever got used to being clipped (she is tickleish, I give her that). The others think they have walked into a massage palour and fall asleep when doing their faces.