Advice please on castration age for rescue pup.

misst

Visit site
After looking locally for a nice older rescue dog and finding nothing that would suit us and our JRT we were still looking when I was offered a little 6 month old pup.

We took him as he was in foster care locally and needed a home fairly soon. He is a terrier type probably a yorkie x jrt type. He is adorable as you would expect and although not what we were looking for we are very happy with him.

His background is he was a street dog in Spain. Shipped to England in June for a family which did not take him in the end.... hence ending up in foster care. He is not great with small children which is fine for our family as everyone is an adult. Apart from this we have had no problems really. His house training is pretty good with rare accidents. He is off lead with excellent recall. He is good with all dogs including our little JRT bitch aged 10.

My vet has suggested castrating him sooner rather than later as he is "humping" soft toys and sometimes cocks his leg on the furniture! He can be snappy if he is disturbed from sleep (unsurprising) or unexpectedly "grabbed" - again unsurprising. Overall he has a nice temprement and will, I think be a super dog given enough time to settle.

My worry is that I did not spay my bitch until she was 2 but have not had dogs before only bitches who came spayed or my little one who I had from a pup. I have heard mixed reviews on early castration and want to do the best for the little chap. Please no criticism about dogs from Spain - not ideal but he was here and needing a home. I would not have got a dog from abroad deliberately.

So those of you with experience advice would be appreciated. The vet is all for doing it asap as he thinks it will stop the humping the marking of furniture and the snapping. I am not worried about the snapping - I believe this will stop once he feels secure and of course many dogs dislike being grabbed suddenly or woken suddenly. All help appreciated thank you kind forum members.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Neutering will stop the marking and the humping but it does take a while for the testosterone to leave the body, most rescues if they have not neutered prior to adoption insist its done so as not to add to the problem. The snapping may or may not stop with neutering but is more of a training issue, given his early life its not surprising and as you say it may abate when he feels more secure.

My Dobes that I have now and in the past have always been neutered when they have fully matured about 2years of age so would suggest perhaps now for your dog or about 9months which I would probably opt for given a choice as he will be far more settled by then.

Well done for giving a home to a rescue dog, they say when you adopt a rescue dog you rescue 2 dogs, one that you have adopted and 2 by making a space in rescue for another dog.

SusieT

Visit site
yes, nenuter him straight away. as a small dog he is now mature. it's unlikely to change the snappiness imo, that's temperement, but should resolve the humping and marking

misst

Visit site
Thank you both very much. I am not worried about the snapping to be honest it is mainly in response to unexpected things and I am sure he will settle and become easier. Even if he doesn't we are absolutely fine with him and I am happy to "manage" him if needed. He lives in an adult only household and his access to children can be completely limited and managed or avoided completely.
I will book him in to be neutered at the end of September which will work with our schedule and he will be about eight and a half months.
As always this forum is a great sounding board and a wealth of experience :)