Advice please - potential new horse

Jayzee

Visit site
Hello,

I have been a lurker for a couple of years, but would like some of you advice/opinions on a potential new horse.

Been looking on and off for about a year for another horse to be able to compete a riding club level (novice, 1m, bit of cross country) since my boy has been off work and now is sound I don't want to push him to jump again. I have been to see a 16hh mare and really liked her she seen to have a positive attitude and sweet nature although balanced and keen jumping did need some work on the flat as was slightly fussy in the mouth, we had a 5 star vetting done which she passed. Although the vet did say that she bucked a couple of times which he didn't think was pain related as her back felt fine, while I would say I am fairly competent and the behaviour may have been due to freshness as she had not been ridden for a week (don't mind fresh behaviour and character, so long as it isn't pain related), I am equally weary of kissing spines ect. My other query that I had was whether my height (5'10/11 and just under 10.5 stone) would hinder competing, I felt fine on her and jumping didn't feel an effort but used to a stockier 16'2.

While I still really like her I do not want to make a stupid decision. Any thought would be appreciated.

Thanks

pottypony1

Visit site
I would say if she passed a 5* vetting she should hopefully be fine... however I would always also take them on a two week trial before buying as well... if the owner isn't willing for this then it says a lot...
I wouldn't say the height/weight would be an issue for riding club level. I am 5'9, 9stone(ish), and ride my 14.2hh at BE Novice/1* level! :)

SusieT

Visit site
I think if you are having doubts now - go and rider her again! No point buying anything that you have doubts about as in the 'new horse nerves' period all that will be magnified

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I would say if she passed a 5* vetting she should hopefully be fine... however I would always also take them on a two week trial before buying as well... if the owner isn't willing for this then it says a lot...
I wouldn't say the height/weight would be an issue for riding club level. I am 5'9, 9stone(ish), and ride my 14.2hh at BE Novice/1* level! :)

Few owners with any sense would allow a well produced horse to leave in the hands of strangers for two weeks, the risk is far too great.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I think if you are having doubts now - go and rider her again! No point buying anything that you have doubts about as in the 'new horse nerves' period all that will be magnified

Agreed, perhaps put the horse under a little more pressure, if the horse is finding the flat work difficult it might just be stiff. Many horses who are keen to a fence are actually unschooled and not able to use themselves properly, so use speed to compensate. The bucking could have many causes, could you perhaps ask someone else to ride her for you so you can watch and hopefully see what triggers the bucking.