advice please. ps-new horse report:-)

ed&arch

Visit site
its me again!!!- (everyone sighs)
My mum and I had nothing to do today, so what did we end up doing...
went to the local (45minutes:L) welsh pony and cob sale.
Just to have a look.. well we might of just popped the trailer on the back..
We had a look round, we were after a section d/section c. We got there and went and registered got a bidding number etc. We then saw this gorgeous mare, so well bred and just a perfect example of a county show level section d. Since mum had her last mare, about 8 years ago now, she said she would never have one again (her opinion). anyway.. We saw it move and gasped.. but we thought its going to make so much money because her dam made £4500 in 2009. She was the first horse on, the auctioneer was talking as fast as ever. :D Nobody was bidding to begin with so good 'ol mother bid. She was run up by another man, but he only bid once. (there werent many people there at this point) I turned away to have a nose outside just to see if there were any other horses, that I liked. What I didnt know was that mum actually bid on this mare again. The auctioneer finished the bidding, banged his hammer down, and turned his microphone off. Everyone stared at me for about 10secs, and people were saying "congratulations, that was such a good buy." I didnt know what they were on about, then mum said "she's all yours!" my face, I was speechless. (14years old, had two other horses that were terrible since may 25th, mum being amazing sold them on, profit made, so its like a dream came true!! wasnt expecting it at all) The owner was upset because the price was so low, but she knew she would go to a lovely home:) thats been my day anyway! I'm such a lucky girl!:'-) sorry, blagging to much now.

She has been professionally broken, and carries her head like a 7year old, on the bit, such a star! I am going to get on so well with her, well I hope I am:)hehe. anyway, the previous owners lived literally on a beach and she hasnt been hacked out really. (she is five years old by the way) But the previous owners said when they have gone on lanes she was amazing! So I'm going to hack her tomorrow, or after college at weekdays etc.
I've had two new ones since may like I said (spoilt brat:() but because I've learnt so quickly I want to make sure she will not pick up bad habits etc. I'm still quite nervous, and spooks make my stomach turn so much. How did I get past this, We have quite scary things round our lanes aswell, big trailers(static) but they are quite scary, few pigs etc. So I am quite nervous about hacking out, but I will never know unless I do it. I love hacking though. Is there anyway of her being less spooky if you like? or will it just come the more times she goes out? I still need to 'ride' her properly so she doesnt think she can nap (she never has before) but I need to get her confidence level up.
Sorry for going on loads, let me know if you dont understand me hehe, so excited and still in shock:)

thankyou for reading.
Laura:p

shampain

Visit site
First of all congratulations! She sounds absolutely lovely. I remember that feeling when it was announced to me that my mare was officially mine. :)
As for your question, I'd say the most important thing is to take it slow. She's young, you're young, and there's no rush whatsoever. Where is she going to be kept - at home, or at a livery yard? Are there other people who you can ride out with to give her a lead? If not, and you're feeling nervous, perhaps just ride out with someone else on foot, so that you both have that extra presence for reassurance. If you do go out alone, make sure that someone knows where you'll be going, and when you're back safely. You want to try and make this as relaxing an experience for both of you as possible, and it really is just a matter of repetition to build her confidence up. Start slow, and unambitious, with what you know you can manage. It might sound like common sense, so I apologise if I'm preaching a little unnecessarily, but I know how it feels to have a young horse and want to get on with things. In the beginning, especially in areas where you're not 100% sure, I'm completely of the opinion that it's better to start off too small than too big in terms of what you aim to achieve. If you're feeling nervous whilst out hacking, just try to focus on breathing deeply and regularly, as this will steady your heartbeat and will in turn help to keep her calm. If you're worried about what she'll do, think over it beforehand so that you know what you as a rider can do to deal with any spooks/naps, etcetera (at the same time, try not to overthink it and anticipate bad behaviour!).
Finally, the whole object is to have fun - for both of you (and yes, schooling can count as fun, too). So, enjoy it! She may be an absolute doll on the roads - and if not, you'll be able to handle it.

ps. There are going to be some requests for pictures of your lovely new mare at some point... :p

ed&arch

Visit site
Thankyou so much for that information. She is kept at home. My mum is a very experienced rider and she owns a 5year old. I can go out with her, but we've only got one saddle at the moment:-( so we cant go out together at the moment unfortunetly. But my mum will come with me on her bike, or she will probably ride her for the first time around the block. thankyou again for all that information I will take it all board.
I will get pics up as soon as possible. many thanks!

shampain

Visit site
You're welcome. But don't worry, you sound more than well enough equipped to deal with anything that might get thrown in your way. Just enjoy her. :)

Ps. Another way to calm you both down & keep you breathing is just to chatter away to her. And remember not to look at the scary things. ;)

AMW

Visit site
congratulations :)
did you buy her at Clwyd sale? seen some lovely pics on FB and the first lot has had some lovely comments.
good luck & enjoy :)