Advice Please - Re Turnout

josephinebutter2

Visit site
OK - my horse is currently on "rest" and being turned out on his own in a very small paddock so he cannot run around due to ligament injuries.

He is normally fine on his own, but a guy on the yard is turning his horse out really early in the morning on his own and it screams and gallops round until it has company. Does not help that this horse was my boy's best friend until he came on on box rext in September.

Now my boy managed to canter round his little pen, so I had to bring him in again until something else went out with the other horse and I ended up late for work.

Any ideas on how I can solve this problem? Last year, we took it in turns to turn out in the morning, so his horsey didn't go mad, but as they are in different fields now, it would make no difference.

Any ideas on how to broach this subject with him? Feel a bit cheeck saying he ought to do something about it!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Can you not offer to turn out HIS horse, another horse with it, and then your horse? Would settle horse A so your horse didnt feel the need to go wappy...

josephinebutter2

Visit site
Was thinking about asking him if he would mind his horse going out with mine - but trouble is, if your horse didn't need to be couped up in a 20ft field so it couldn't run about, would you want it to be couped up like that?

I was thinking about perhaps seeing if someone would mind me turning their horse out with it early in the morning, but all the other horses belong to one person, and she can be really funny - prefer only to talk to her if I really have to and to ask her a favour would mean she had something to hold over me!

Ahhh what to do!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I would either put your horse out later - so that the others have stopped running around. That way things will be quieter and your horse less likely to pratt around.

Either that or bite the bullett and put him back in his normal field with this chap.

UKa

community.webshots.com
at our yard no horse is allowed out unless it has company ... it doesnt seem right to me that his horse gets turned out and stresses every day this guy should get something sorted for his own horse's sake too!?!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
it doesnt seem right to me that his horse gets turned out and stresses every day this guy should get something sorted for his own horse's sake too!?!

[/ QUOTE ]
Seems terribly unfair doesn't it??

MarthaRodman1

www.photobucket.com
Had similar situation when my horse went onto small paddock turn out. This guy needs to find an alternative friend for his horse while your's is in rest. It's hard cause your horse doesn't understand why he's not with his buddy and the other horse doesn't either.

Can they not see each other across the field? do you think they will settle and realise that this is how it's gonna be?

When Jack went onto box rest, his field buddy (best friend) of 2 years, had to be intergrated into another group - it took a while but he did settle.

It's imperative that you keep your horse quiet - need to get that leg to start healing - when Jack went onto paddock rest he was on his own with 2 setlands for company in paddock next to him and that was great as they were quiet.

I would avoid putting him in with his best mate, as tend to get excited and jump around etc etc. Maybe speak to the man and explain how quiet you need to keep your horse for the next few months!

Chumsmum

Visit site
I had a similar problem though it was my pony going mad on his own when he was supposed to be on paddock rest. I put one of my shetties in with him but it didn't make any difference - he just hated being in this particular paddock. He turned from being a very quiet pony in the field to one that teared up and down and sweated so much I thought he had colic! I had to bite the bullet and put him back in the big field with the others and he immediately went back to being a quiet pony and his tendon is healing nicely. I would have a friendly word with this guy - I'm sure he wouldn't want either horse upset.

josephinebutter2

Visit site
All sorted - spoke to guy and although hes not bothered about his horse going mad - he appreciated my concern about mine.

Managed to get a horse to turn out with his first thing starting Thursday so all sorted now. Would love to turn him out later, but unfortunatly have to work
frown.gif

I have left him in today and he is up at the vets tomorrow, so should be OK now (fingers crossed).

He is out next to some goats and seems fine with them for company - they play through the fence! It was just that this one was his buddy and my boy gets very upset when his friends are upset!

Thanks for advice.