advice please - suddenly aggressive towards other dogs

Jingleballs

Visit site
Quick bit of background. We have a 3 to 4 year old lurcher cross bitch. Rehomed her 2 years ago. She's always been a bit reactive to other dogs esp on the lead but in general she settles down and suddenly just wants to play with them - she has tonnes of doggy pals of all shapes and sizes and has 3 weekly group dog walks.

Recently she's started to run at other dogs barking and bearing her teeth although not actually touching them - she's never done it when I've been walking her but in the last couple of weeks has done it several times while out walking with my partner.

Today she ran snapping an snarling at an elderly bitch that she's never bothered with before. Totally unprovoked and the poor old dog was terrified.

There is nothing significant in her life that has changed in the last month. I'm going to check with the dog walker that nothing has happened on any of the group walks that might have affected her.

It goes without saying that she won't be allowed off the lead now unless there are no other dogs around or only ones that we know she likes which is a shame as generally she just wants to run and play.

Any ideas what training may help with this. She is naturally a very submissive dog and we always thought the barking was just bluster to keep other dogs at distance until she was sure of them but not so sure now.

At home her behaviour hasn't changed and she's as friendly and happy as ever.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Take her to vet. May be a pain response and there are a number of conditions which can bring on increased and unexplained aggression. Especially check her eyes and thyroid.
Even something as simple as tweaking something while hooning with another dog and she's made that association.

Make sure it's also nothing your partner is doing with his body language and double check she wasn't jumped, bullied or harangued by another dog while out with him andhe's not thought to mention it.