Advice please

Molineux

Visit site
Ok I have seen a horse I really like the look of and its in Oxfordshire where I am
smile.gif

This is what they have put;

16.2hh grey, Irish Sport Horse, 12 years old

Ex BSJA / BE looking for quieter life to have fun

King of Diamonds bloodlines

Needs loving, confident, experienced home

Super allrounder - Very genuine horse

Its for Permanent Loan - however looking for a quieter life
crazy.gif
To have fun
smile.gif
Which is what I want.
I want a horse I can go and do some SJ / XC and Dressage on not Eventing etc just somthing to have fun sooooo does that count for a quieter life
confused.gif
???
crazy.gif

He does look nice tho and he is GREY
grin.gif
YEY!

SandersCompanion1TrtAug.jpg

Natalie_H

Visit site
I don't see why not! I still did XC & SJ on my 26 yr old pony - & believe me - we had fun! Providing he is sound, he is only 12 & I am sure we be up to, & would enjoy, what you want to do with him.

Molineux

Visit site
I have seen this one too! and what do you think?

He is for loan with a view to buy

Crackerjack is a 14.3hh coloured gelding, aged 12

He is a super little horse for a competent teenager or small adult (up to approx 11 stone) who wants to have fun

He has done cross country, showing, show jumping, Pony Club rallies and has competed at local shows where he has regularly won or been placed

He is good in traffic including farm machinery and is no trouble to catch, shoe, clip or box. He has no stable vices and doesn't buck, rear or kick

He will hack out in company or alone - By himself he can be a little bit anxious occasionally so needs a rider who isn't worried by the odd spook, in company he is good as gold

He has a passport and his vaccinations are up to date

He is only for sale as his teenage rider has lost interest

To go to 5* star home only. If on loan new premises would be inspected, references taken up and a loan agreement put in place

HirstCrackerjackSept.jpg

Molineux

Visit site
The thing is I want a horse I am going to keep, but not keep a horse that I can only go and jump for a few years before its legs give way lol !!

I do not want to be stuck paying for a horse when I can do anything with it!

Natalie_H

Visit site
I would call & see what they deem a "Quiet life". If my horse needed a quieter life than he has with me, then he would be ready for retirement! However, if the owner is super-active, then her definition of a quiet life may be different! The other horse looks cracking too!

Ferdinase514

Visit site
If it's for loan you send it back if you can't do the things you intended, otherwise it would be for sale.

Finni was similar to the first horse you described...owner just didn't want him to carry on with BE as he was 13 and was time to slow down. Doesn't nec. mean that there's anything wrong.

icestationzebra

Visit site
Out of the two - the pony. I would be concerned as to why they were looking for a quieter life for a 12 year old..... and the wording ex BSJA / BE would leave me to believe they would not want to compete again... it probably wouldn't stand up to the work.... I think you need to be honest with yourself about what you want to do - the grey might not match
crazy.gif

filly190

Visit site
I thought about this, and if they are putting the horse for loan, I assume there will be a contract of some sorts. It shows they care very much about this horse and want to control its future. Also they are taking a huge risk, as the loan home could I suppose give it back knackered and they have the vets bills to pick up.

I would go and see the horse, find out what they have to say. At only twelve they could have sold for a decent price. There may not be anything terrible underlying, some people feel that if a horse has done well and worked hard for them, they want it to have an easier life because its done its job.

I took on a tb of 15 years old for very little money, she's an ex show jumper and I agreed to give her an easier life. At twenty she's still out and about doing things (low key). But horses like these dont come up very often, so I think its worth a look. If the horse has some small problems, and you are aware of them, then it can all be managed.

Good luck, the horse looks lovely.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
The grey could just have lost its confidence which I have seen happen with quite a few older horses - there might be a chance that it just wants to go and do 2'6 and has lost its bottle to do anything much bigger.
Just another slant on it?

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
I agree with the last post. Our 17yo TBx was a BSJA pony who now has wear and tear on her joints. We got her as a mum/daughter mount but my daughters age group is on horses jumping 3' - 4', thats too high for our girl. We are not selling our pony as she is too precious to go to someone who may not respect her, therefore I am going to keep her to do RC activities, dressage and jumping up to a max of 2'9''. I would consider that this would be deemed as a quieter life for a pony/horse that had formerly been competing.

The best thing to do would be phone and ask - you have nothing to lose, also having the option of a loan would probably mean that they are concerned about where it goes rather than just palming a bad horse off on someone foolish enough to pay for it. Another tip - if you decide to buy, have a vetting. If the pony is no good, dont think of it as wasting around £200, just think of saving over £1000's

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously if the 12 year old is looking for a quiet life now, I would bet my house its legs are knackered!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I've just loaned my 12 year old showjumper out on the basis I don't want her having a quiter life and that's all she'd get with me. Her new keeper has got her back up to fitness and already started doing pleasure rides and jumping her again. I want her out and about so that she doesn't get old!!

Personally I think she's now in her prime
grin.gif