advice please!

Parkranger

Visit site
This should probably be in the vets section but I know that most of you know my boy's history....

For the past week I've known that something isn't right with him - earlier in the week he went everso slightly lame on his right side but then recovered -- no heat. I gave him a couple of days off and rode tonight. As I tried to get on he pawed out at me (so not like him) so I got on and when we went into trot he felt like a 2 year old - I can only explain it as though is was putting all his weight on his left side but not actually lame. He was very stumbly and we tried for a canter - got an ears back buck (always ears foward excited buck) and he actually stopped half way up the gallops! When he stopped he was hopping lame so jumped off and then walked him back and he was uncomfortable and not lame. Stuck him on the lunge at the yard and there was no obvious signs - just looked uncomfortable and stiff.

So, I'm wondering if it could possibly be the onset of early arthritis in his right shoulder - hes' had a bad knock at some time on it and it might explain why he's awful on his right rein.

Will get the physio out next week to give him the once over and possibly the vet but really scratching myhead - he's just not himself and is not enjoying being ridden.

His saddle is a perfect fit and his teeth have just been done so I really don't know what it can be....

Any suggestions? xx

Parkranger

Visit site
Just to add - he's so good natured that even if he was in pain he wouldn't throw you off, he'd just do what he did tonight and bear it.....

LauraBR

Visit site
I've had an arthtitic horse and this doesn't really fit in my experience. Sounds far more likely to be back related IMHO. But then I'm no expert.

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So, I'm wondering if it could possibly be the onset of early arthritis in his right shoulder

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh not this!?!? I hate to be the one to share this, but your horse has a loose leg. It is likely going to fall off any day now. He is showing textbook symptoms.
You worry too much Victress - definitely get the physio out and pursue it, but while reading it the thought that stuck in my head was - stiff/sore after being cast. But I would not overly concerned at this point - it is a bit early for that.

Parkranger

Visit site
Yes I know I'm a worrier but he's obviously had alot of wear and tear! No you're right I shouldn't panic yet but somethings not right - you know how you just know?

Oh well, we'll see what the physio says - perhaps he'll always be one of those horses who needs a good old pull around every month or so!

the watcher

Visit site
[quoteOh not this!?!? I hate to be the one to share this, but your horse has a loose leg. It is likely going to fall off any day now. He is showing textbook symptoms.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are SO bad
grin.gif
grin.gif

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh well, we'll see what the physio says - perhaps he'll always be one of those horses who needs a good old pull around every month or so!

[/ QUOTE ]

Most boys like a good pull every month or so!!!