advice please

Tempi

Visit site
So, before i start typing i must state that this is not about EITHER of my horses (who are both happy, fit and working very well). It is for a girl whom i teach one or two times a month.

Quick Background:
Girl (14) brought pony (pure connie), had a 2stage vetting (i did advise 5 but they didnt want to). Girl is nervous and needed something that was totally bomb proof. Pony has slight breathing problems - perhaps mild copd.

Here goes:
Ive ridden the pony a few times (poor little thing
blush.gif
grin.gif
) and its seriously lazy, now its not a problem for me as i can get anything going (im not being big headed but ive got a nack for getting lazy horses/ponies going forwards). i haven't however ridden pony or taught girl for about 2 months now as ive been busy competing/training with my two
smirk.gif

Girl rang me up last night asking for exercises etc to do on the school and how to help with her hands (she rides on too long a rein resulting in pony swinging head). I gave her advice and all was fine. Her mother then came on the phone (whos lovely) and said that hes having breathing problems and he just cant seem to do anything without puffing really heavily. He also has hardly any energy. Now ive said to them they need to do a lot of hill work to get him fitter, however i dont know whether they are doing it or not as i obviously cant monitor what they are up to.

Shes feeding it speedibeet, large scoop of competition mix and some happyhoof stuff once a day. Pony lives out (not much grass tho) because of its breathing issues. It has a constant supply of haylage in the field.

Now they were asking me what else they could feed to 'fizz' it up, i said try oats but theyve already tried and it did nothing. I dont know what else to suggest they feed the pony. Ive told her il ride it when i get time and suss out its lack of energy as im not sure whether the pony is just having them on or not as the child isnt that confident.

I have said maybe they should get the vet to check the pony over if they really are worried about it puffing a lot - however i do have a feeling they arent working it enough and its just really unfit.

What would you guys suggest feeding wise? and any other suggestions would be great please!!
grin.gif

(sorry its a long one!)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What would you guys suggest feeding wise? and any other suggestions would be great please

[/ QUOTE ]
Oo tricky one.

But I would advise the following:

1. Ask vet to have a look, and assess wind.

2. She can't have the best of both worlds - sounds like ultimately she could have the quiet little horse she was after - you can't change their basic temperament as we all know. And if ultimately there is nothing wrong with its wind, then perhaps they need to consider whether this pony is actually for them or not.

Judie

Visit site
Difficult to say really as you haven't seen the pony for a while, but my guess would be that it probable is a bit overweight, unfit and this is putting pressure on the mild copd. If the child is nervous I would be reluctant to give anything that would 'fizz' him up.

It would be worth the vet doing a blood test to see if he is low in his blood count just to rule that out.

Sadly nothing replaces good old fitness work!

horsegirl

Visit site
I don't think tis is a feeding issue, rather than a illness/fitness/messing around issue. Tell them to get the vet to identify the breathing problems and then they need to work on getting the thing moving. If she is a nervous ride then I think it is taking advantage and being lazy.

riotgirl

Visit site
I'd get the vet to check. My girl is unfit at the moment due to me only able to ride at the weekends, however she certainly doesn't puff. Mind you, having said that, what work does she do with the pony? I am only schooling for about half an hour and then hacking for a hour so it doesn't really give her the oportunity to puff!

TGM

Visit site
Definitely get it checked out by vet to see if the breathing problem has escalated. Other thing I wondered is whether it has a thick coat and if it is clipped or not?

Alibear

Visit site
arghhh I hate people like this sorry but I do.

Pony really needs to see the vet so he can have his wind checked if he's not breathing properly/having trouble getting ocygen out of what he does get he's never going to be speedy.

I have know COPD horses who are worse in this damp misty sticky weather so it could be thats this is his bad time of year and he could do with a little help?

I guess we can't go the vet route so I'd be thinking some kind of breathing suppliment to try and help a bit?

Tempi

Visit site
problem is like i said ive told them to get the vet but whether they actually do or not is a different matter.

i agree with the feed issue as i think its being fed enough as it is, but just wondered if anyone had an alternatives they could suggest to the comp mix.

pony isnt fat (i saw it yesterday briefly). I do think it is having her on - but like amymay said they wanted a safe pony and thats what theyve got. I did also warn them of this when they brought the pony.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
PG - ultimately there is only so much you can do to help. If they decide not to take your advice when asked for - then don't give it again.

Some people want a quick fix when there simply isn't one.
frown.gif

SSM

Visit site
Once you have sorted the breathing out ie vet she needs to be (if possible getting pony fit) 20 mins every evening, schooling or lunging.

I moan about the Donkey, but we are getting there by working every evening, I actually do a lot of canter work once warmed up to not only increase fitness but to loosen her up and I am seeing results, still lazy but I don't look quite like I'm doing pony club games any more. At least one or two of the evenings I lunge - well chase her around
tongue.gif

Tempi

Visit site
i know what you mean, they are a lovely family and ive helped them alot but sometimes i feel like im banging my head against a wall with them as they ask my advice but then dont do anything i suggest.........

they have put him on that naf respiraze (sp!) suppliment i think..........i did tell them too and they did say they were feeding it so i hope they still are.

MillionDollar

Visit site
Well i think the vet needs to visit and look at wind, there is obviously a problem and it might be able to be sorted.

Also can i just say you cannot feed to get fizziness, its a complete myth!

Here are my lecture notes that explain it all-
feed1.jpg

feed2.jpg

feed3.jpg

feed4.jpg

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
One other thought.

Is it actually getting enough grub and hay?????? You say it's not overweight, fully clipped and out 24/7. May simply not be getting enough food.

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
1) get vet to check it out
2) if nothing wrong with it, try Museli Staypower

I swear by it for my boy, he is 23 now and needs an extra bit of umphhhhh!

Dont however give it to a TB unless you want extra FIZZ!

Sarah1

Visit site
Not read all replies so sorry if I'm repeating something someone else has said!
Personally before addressing the feeding issue or getting someone on the pony who is a bit more experienced I would make sure the pony is physically able to do the job that's being asked of it. I think the fact that it's puffing and panting a lot coupled with the fact that there was only a 2 stage vetting done is concerning.
Think they should have vet out to assess the pony further, perhaps takes some bloods and if all's well then re-evaluate the feeding/fitness regime. The poor little thing could be trying it's hardest for them but may not be capable of doing the job it's being asked to do!
frown.gif

Sarah1

Visit site
I don't think you'll have too much of a problem - as their instructor they obviously value your opinion and they did ask you for advice so they must be prepared to act on what you suggest!
Perhaps tug on the heart strings - if the pony is much loved, lay it on thick about him being a trier and doing his best for them and perhaps they should do their best for him also? If they're not made of stone I'm sure they'll come around!
Good luck and let us know what happens

Tempi

Visit site
im going to phone them up tonight and do a bit of 'tugging' (so to speak) i know they love the pony and he is perfect for the girl as hes so safe. il lay it on and hope for the best!