advice please

Tufty

Visit site
my friend has asked me to exercise her horse during the day because of the late nights, horse is young but really sane and sensible but she will not stand at the mounting block you always have to mount her from the ground, how do I go about teaching her to stand at the block as she is a big horse and I dont always make it on the first spring especially on a Monday !

the watcher

Visit site
keep trying..use distraction to start (handful of grass or a carrot) and make a big fuss when on board..if it doesn't work, then keep leading the horse up to it until they finaly settle down to it..then reward! This could take a while the first few times so allow plenty of time, the important thing is not to give up and get a leg up or whatever..they HAVE to learn to stand still wherever you ask them to, it is fundamental to your safety (unless on a racing yard LOL)

samp

Visit site
Can someone stand to hols her at the block? My horse used to walk off but has not learnt takes longer to go for ride if will not stand still

Tufty

Visit site
yes have tried someone holding her but she just sets her neck and walks away from you. My friend doesnt mind she just leaps on from the ground all 7stone of her, think she has got springs in her feet !

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
How does she walk away? It really is going to be easier to have someone hold her to start with. Depending on what she is doing depends on what your helper needs to do. Ie if she is swinging her 1/4's then they need to stand more to the side. If she is walking off then they need to be more in front & once she has stood while you mount then give her a mint. My sister's horse was an idiot when it came to standing, she is a good as gold now, but it took the help of another person & lots of mints. Again though it is finding what works for you. IMO it is important they stand at the mounting block as well as being mounted from the ground. Getting on from the block saves on the horses back for one thing.

filly190

Visit site
Strange, because if she stands for you to get on, and not the block, I wonder if it is the position of the block that she does not like.

I would try moving it, to where she is usually mounted.