Advice please

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
If you lived with your dog(s) opposite an unlived in property and had been used to let your dogs roam freely through the yard and land and/or had been used to walking your dogs alongside the property and letting them run freely in the fields would you consider it the responsibility of the new owner to take steps to make the fencing dogproof to keep dogs out or your responsibility to maintain control of where your dog roams?

I've just moved in and been a bit horrified to be told by a neighbour "You want to keep those chickens locked up, my dogs will be in your yard and have them" and by another that the local dogwalkers are expecting me to fence my land sufficiently not just to keep my sheep in but to keep their dogs out as they are all used to letting their dogs on it. There are no rights of way across the land but there are roads along the sides. The dogs that have been roaming in the yard have to cross a road to get to it!

Clodagh

Visit site
It may not be fair but I suspect it will be the only answer. Surely sheep fencing will keep dogs out anyway? Unless they jump it when I would imagine you could prosecute. What a worry.

Spudlet

Visit site
I would expect to keep my dogs in (or out, depending on where you're standing:p) but I'd still think the new landowner was pretty daft if they didn't sort their own fencing out to be honest. If I was the one moving in, getting the fences sorted would be a priority for me.

Jake10

Visit site
I'd expect that a dog has half decent recall if it is let off the lead. Unfortunately that isn't always the case so dog proofing your land will likely be necessary :(

JeanetteM

Visit site
I'd be putting up no tresspassing signs, and getting a gun to shoot any loose dogs that are caught worrying my sheep

I would be getting secure protection for the chickens tho, if a dog could get in a fox surely could

Spudlet

Visit site
You also need to take straying dogs into account of course, dogs can and do go a-wandering sometimes, and it will be no consolation to know it was the owner's fault if your chickens or sheep get eaten:(

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I'd sort out the fencing, sort out signs and take to wandering across the neighbours gardens with your dogs in the meantime - well, it's OK for them to do it to your property, eh?!

Sorry if that sounds blunt but when I find people behind my house, in our fields, looking in my bedroom window etc, I always ask them when it's OK for me to come and take a dander around their back garden?

CAYLA

Visit site
So, have I got this right? example.....I walk my dogs in an empty/vacant field and past a house (then someone moves in) with livestock/hens etc??
I would then keep my dogs close/recall/on lead (find new walk) when passing (or not actually go in a sheep field if fenced) but would still walk round it, if there where chickens I would recall mine to me but if your chickens are on your land and the dogs would be running in (I would kick off) if the chickens are coming off your land and wondering around (then they are gonna get eaten) obs.

So if it's your land and all your animals are contained one way or another then I would do as suggested NEW signs and a sign that states dog will be shot if found worrying the sheep/in the field.