Advice please

Tapir

Visit site
I have a companion pony who is the ribs showing, cresty neck type who we are very careful with.

On Tuesday the farrier came and trimmed her feet. Last night I took her out for an in hand hack with hoof boots on but I wasn't entirely convinced she was right. Anyway I watched her walk on the yard barefoot and she was definitely sore so I left her in with a soaked haynet. My dad gave her a bedtime net at about 11pm and there was one poo in her stable and she'd only nibbled a bit of her hay.

This morning she's eaten hardly any hay, there are no droppings and she hasn't drunk any water but she's happily eaten her breakfast of a scoop of unmolassed hi-fi and lo-cal balancer.

I've left her for now with more soaked hay, a little un-soaked and a treat ball with more lo-cal in which she is playing with and scoffing. She's fine in herself, her pulses are down a little from last night.

So how long is ok for her to go without eating or passing droppings? I had a listen and her belly is making noises. Should I give her some more hi-fi later if she's still not eating her hay? Should I call the vet, even though she seems quite happy and has no other symptoms?

Any advice gratefully received.

Illusion100

Visit site
I would call your Vet, just have a quick chat with them over the phone regarding anything unusual you've noticed and ask their advice on the matter.

It may be a case that she is sore enough to be distracted from forage and water but not uncomfortable enough to turn down hard feed, ultimately she is not her normal self and it would be best to make your Vet aware and follow their instructions to manage her. I hope she's back to her old self in no time. :)

russianhorse

Visit site
I'd have a chat with the vet

Last week my boy was acting a bit odd but I put it down to bring extra sore with his mudfever. I put him in stable and he was eating his feed and some hay and passed a small amount of poo.

Went to vets to get some stuff for MF and let him out of stable when I got back. He walked off and then collapsed. Vets treated for colic but nothing there and stomach was making all the right noises. We still Can't find out what went wrong after loads of tests, but eating isn't a sign something isn't wrong so I'd just make them aware

Hope she is okay

Annagain

Visit site
My boy had to have box rest back in May. He went on hunger strike, refusing hay (both soaked and unsoaked), haylage, and even horsehage, which he normally loves, but would eat hard feed and would graze happily if we took him out in hand. He'd not long been turned out 24/7 for the summer on lovely grass and I think he was disgusted at this dry rubbish we were giving him instead. In 48 hours he did about 4 small poos (he's 17hh) and I was so worried I posted on here for ideas.

In the end we hand picked lots of grass for him so he'd eat in the stable but that's not really possible for you. I wouldn't worry too much at the moment, it sounds like there's just nothing going through his tummy - not ideal but in the circumstances not desperate. Keep a close eye on her and call the vet if she appears to be in discomfort.

One thing that helped mine a bit was having some company while he was in. He would eat a bit when my other horse was in - not much but more than when he was on his own.

Tapir

Visit site
Thanks for your replies. I called the vet's and they are sending someone out. Of course she's now done a pile of droppings but I think I'd rather have them look at her for my peace of mind, and avoid a possible weekend call out too.