Advice - pony tips water bucket..

Fiona

Visit site
Hi folks

I've never had a horse who did this before, so somewhat at a loss as to what I can do (that's still safe)...

My new 5yo (13.2 connie) has been with us for 2 days now, so a relatively short space of time. He has been out during the day, and in at night. Stable is fairly small (as he is temporarily using my son's ponys stable) but its still a reasonable size for him.

Water bucket is well situated in left hand front corner, with haynet tied half way between front and back on the left hand wall. However he seems to keep tipping over his water bucket. Sometimes it looks as if he's tipped it over full, and other times he may have drank all the water and just been playing with the bucket.

We don't have automatic water drinkers.

Is there anything I can do to make this less likely.

I know you can attach trigger clips to the wall, is this safe or is it not recommended???

Or is there anything I can try?

Many thanks

Fiona

Kezzabell2

Visit site
my friend's pony used to do this, and every morning would need a massive drink, such an id io t

It got so bad that she ended up buying a tiny trough and putting that in the corner, which he never tipped over! pheww

Fiona

Visit site
my friend's pony used to do this, and every morning would need a massive drink, such an id io t

It got so bad that she ended up buying a tiny trough and putting that in the corner, which he never tipped over! pheww

It is silly behavior :(

I could check in Fane valley the local farmers merchants and see if they had anything suitable...

Fiona

AFB

Visit site
I don't like trigger clips after seeing a nasty picture of a horses nostril after being caught on one (needed stitching back together) - but bucket in a tyre would be your easiest fix

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
what about one of the hook on mangers on the door, you would need to fill it with a bucket and if he hasnt drunk it all you would have to siphon the water out..or if you dont want it on the door you could put a couple of rings on the wall and hook into those, you may need to tie it for extra security ...or if he has a corner manger for his food use that for water and put feed in bowl on the floor..

SusieT

Visit site
I would say that if space is such an issue that a tyre in a corner would take up too much space to be reasonable then the stable is definitely too small..

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
2 x tyres & put a trug in them, Trug will be much more firmly held - a bucket can still be booted over/tipped etc as not as big as the 'tyre gap'.
Trug also has no handles etc too.

Please dont clip to wall, anything apart from this.

holeymoley

Visit site
You used to be able to buy the tyre shaped water bowls that fitted snuggly in a tyre so they couldn't pick them up at all. Worked when my boy used to do it as a 3 year old. You don't get that much water in them so you may need 2.

Ladyinred

Visit site
We have one of those horses who views every attempt to stop bucket tipping as a new challenge! We have tried it all over the years and what works best is a tyre, with bricks strategically placed so he can't slide the tyre, and taking the handles off the water buckets. A trug worked until he found great fun could be had by booting it with a front leg and making the water slosh out, either that or he would pick it up by one handle and then drop it to cause a tidal wave. But, he is that sort of horse, he has to fiddle and experiment with things.. he is 19 now and no different!

Antw23uk

Visit site
If you cant fit a tyre in the stable with the pony then the pony shouldnt be in the stable!

My top tip is to put bucket in tyre and tie it in with baling twine (my horse just lifted it out so had to tie it in)

Fiona

Visit site
I didn't say a tyre wouldn't fit, just that it would stick out more, at the moment the bucket (until he lifts it :( ) is tucked right into the corner out of the way...

If he keeps doing it when moved to his permanent stable then I think I'll get something like a corner manger, but I don't really want to do that in this stable.

Maybe a tyre would be the best short term measure if I can get one the right size that the bucket will fit in tightly.

I think he is drinking it first then playing with the bucket, he also moved the rubber field mat in his gateway yesterday lol...

FIona

Fiona

Visit site
He's still knocking it over. Hubby says with his feet rather than his teeth, so I might put a waist high tie ring, and tie the bucket to it..

Fiona

jojo5

Visit site
He's still knocking it over. Hubby says with his feet rather than his teeth, so I might put a waist high tie ring, and tie the bucket to it..

Fiona
As you have mentioned that you think he is doing this with his feet .............my boy spills water ( and sometimes tips bucket over) because he is scratching his legs on the bucket ( yes, have and am trying every treatment/supplement/cream/shampoo known to man and horse for mites). Harder buckets were obviously better for his purpose but could be harmful to legs so provided softer trugs - these make it easier though for him to push the sides in and thus spill water. Only solution as many have said - a tyre with the trug in makes spilling a bit harder ( but not impossible for a determined cob��)

Damnation

Visit site
My horse does this.

I've resorted to buying a HUGE tub trug, and filling it full. She doesn't seem to do it if the water bucket is full.

Failing that, every night tip the water on the floor, give the pony a straw and tell him to act out "resevoir horses". :D

Shazzababs

Visit site
I have one who has 'form' for this.

I switched to using a corner manger, and it seems to do the trick....most of the time. It fits quite snuggly in the corner by the door.

Fiona

Visit site
UPDATE....

Bought a stubbs corner water bucket holder and mounted it about 70 cm above the floor.

Seems to have done the trick and his mats/stable have started to dry out lol...

Fiona