Advice re AI

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
Ok, I have bred a lot of horses and had my own stallions so I'm not a beginner... however I have never yet used AI, so I confess, I'm a bit of a novice in this department!

I have finally chosen my stallions for next year, and one of them is AI only but he is SO the horse I want to use. I've always shyed away from AI in the past, as Im quite an old fuddy duddy!
blush.gif

Anway, it's time I got with the programme, so please, could someone talk me through the process? (not in too much technical detail please, I know about the birds and the bees!
shocked.gif
)

I am interested in what my options are... for example, whether my mare should go to the stud (she will have a foal at foot), or can my normal vet do it, what does it cost, how the studs charge (as there appears to be a stud fee AND a collection fee?), and how many doses you need etc. The horse I have chosen is by chilled semen only, although there is also a 'walk in service'.

Any advice greatly received!

PS. Gone are the days when the local stallion used to walk his county!

Clodagh

Visit site
I'm no expert, but bosses mare just stayed at the local horse vets for a week while they got her suitably hormonal, then sploosh, in went the syringe...(or along those lines!!)
shocked.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

delphipuppy

www.treliverstud.co.uk
You have several options:
1) Send your mare to the stud and let them do it all
2) Send her to an AI centre
3) Have your vet inseminate her at home IF and only if he is experienced in AI. If he isn't it could cost you more, as he may not get her in foal the first time and you will have to go through another cycle with subsequent costs.
Most studs and AI centre do an all in package to include teasing collecting and inseminating, vet cost for scanning are usually seperate.
You may well need only one insemination dose if your vet is good.

We charge 45 pounds plus postage to send semen out per insemination dose and vet costs are additional, however if the mare comes to us we charge 120 pounds which covers as many inseminations as necessary to get the mare in foal. Livery is on top of this.
However studs vary greatly so you need to contact the relevant stud for their terms and conditions.

AI is much safer for all concerned especially for a mare with a foal at foot, conception rates are very high now.

delphipuppy

www.treliverstud.co.uk
Oh I didn't realise! Yes give me a ring and lets have a chat. Is the mare cremello??

AI is a doddle to be honest, much easier than natural covering. All 10 of my mares are in foal to Derek this year and they are all teenagers apart form Granny who is 21!