Advice re bolshy youngster

I See Clover

Visit site
My mum and I have a 18 month, 15hh, cob x gelding. He is a good lad but has recently become quite bolshy in the stable before he is turned out. As soon as I open the stable door he barges right out. He has no patience. I've tried making him back up in the stable so that I can get into his stable. It takes a while before he will listen and back up (he's not usually like this), but as soon as I attempt to get into the stable he rushes forward again. I've also tried holding a treat in my hand which makes him back up quicker but it makes no difference to his barging.

It is only when he is about to be turned out he is like this. He is the perfect gentlemen the rest of the time.

Any tips/advice on how to tackle this would be great. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
Get a Water pistol- tell him 'over' or 'back' when you get to the stable door- if he ignores you squirt him and tell him again. As you enter the stable you make sure he stays back firstly with your voice a good strong 'No!- Back' and squirt him again if he takes a step forwards- he must respect you, you are not his friend- you are his herd leader!

And maybe a bar accross the stable so when he does barge through you he can't get out. You can get the mesh nets that clip accross the doors and you can dip under to get in and out the stable.

Last edited:

OWLIE185

Visit site
You are quite right to sort this issue out straight away.
Cobs can turn in to fairly dangerous steam rollers if they are not corrected - my partners mother was run over by our four legged friend (a cob) and broke her pelvis when he barged out of his stable as she entered it.
You are just going to have to push him to the rear of his stable each time you enter it and establish this routine long term so that eventually he gets the message and backs away whenever anyone enters his stable. God luck.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Put his headcollar on over the door, so it gives you something to hold on to. Ask him to back up and wait (even if it takes lots of attempts). Once he is standing back. Open the door, If he starts to rush. Growl and give him a firm "No" Do not pull against him, but give a sharp tug on the rope then release the pressure. Once standing, ask him to back up again. If he backs up correctly and waits, praise him. If he backs up then rushes again, Back him again until he learns! (May take a few attempts) Once he can walk forward without rushing, then lead out with lots of praise.

He should be backing up everytime you go into his stable. So even if you go in to give hay/top water up. Practise backing him up away from you. He will soon realise, that its easier to back up and gets what he wants quicker.