Advice Re: failed vetting

sarah23

Visit site
I am looking for a new horse and a friend of a friend has one for sale. It was up for big bucks but failed its vetting on the flexion test so Hench buyer did not buy it. She is looking for a good home for it now and is asking not a lot for it (needs to make room)

It has never shown any signs of lameness and has been doing every that has been asked of it with no problems.

My question is would you buy it or stay well away from it

ElaineLightning

Visit site
If it has failed a vetting and you buy it and want to insure it, then you have to disclose it to the insurance company which may result in you not being able to insure it.

neelie OAP

Visit site
Well to me certainly worth a gamble as its a well known fact that these flexion test are not reliable, you have your leg forced up in an awkward position then see how good you walk away then !

Bikerchickone

Visit site
I think flexion tests are pretty subjective depending on who does it. My vet has told me it's easy to lame any horse by being a bit harsh with the test.

If you like the horse I'd be inclined to get a vet you know and trust to vet it again and give you a clearer picture of exactly what the issues are or aren't.

Personally I'd be inclined to give the horse another chance. As far as insurance goes it should depend on the value you insure for and whether or loss of use is included or not as to whether they ask for a vetting certificate anyway.

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Depends on what the potential buyer wanted the horse for. If they wanted it to 3 day event or Dressage / SJ to a very high level and it failed because the result of a flexion test then it may pass if for example you wanted it to do local level ie novice dressage, novice eventing.
Lots of people are not fans of the flexion test and infect a girl at my old yard had a horse vetted and it failed on flexion but someone else was interested in it as a hack so vet passed it for that and they split the vetting cost (buying from a dealer).

neelie OAP

Visit site
If it has failed a vetting and you buy it and want to insure it, then you have to disclose it to the insurance company which may result in you not being able to insure it.[/QUOTE

Depends how much you are trying to insure it for but if you are trying to insure it for silly money well perhaps so, but otherwise I wouldn't think it would matter so much !:cool:

ElaineLightning

Visit site
Actually if there has been a vetting done and either failed or passed it should be provided to the insurance company whether a requirement due to value or not - duty of disclosure

Bikerchickone

Visit site
That's fair enough but since the OP didn't get that vetting done she'd have a bit of a job getting a copy of the paperwork for her insurance unless previous people who paid for it wanted to provide her with it.

If she'd paid for a vetting and then not disclosed the results then obviously that would be different. As someone else has said too, it could pass a vetting if the intended use is different.

boxcarhorse

Visit site
If you know the horse's history - which it sounds like you do. And you're not aware of any lameness problems and you're planning to keep him for the longterm and not sell on, and he's for sale for a lowish amount - they personally I'd go for it.

Flexion tests are very controversial and I don't think they are a clear indicator of lameness.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
If you know the history, and you are the sure the horse can do what you want it to, it might be a good option. If it was me I'd have another vet look at it, with a totally honest "this is what I'm going to do, will this horse be able to do it" approach. And take it from there. Simply because I couldn't afford to pay out for lameness once that one year's worth of policy has run out, and they slap an exclusion on that lameness for the rest of the horse's life.

let us know what you decide :)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If the horse was up for a substantial amount, and is now for sale at a vastly reduced price - proceed with caution. And of course, get your own vetting done.

Asha

Visit site
Be very careful. A friend of mine bought a horse that failed the vetting, showing very mild signs of lameness. A few weeks down the road, he was worse, turned out he had kissing spines. She ended up with a horse not fit for purpose.

If you really like him, why not get your vet to check him out, see if you can find out where the lameness is coming from. Then youll know if he will do the job you want.

Its so easy to buy a horse, but selling one with a problem, now thats a whole different ball game.

Luci07

Visit site
I would not disregard the failed flexion.. I had a horse fail the flexion test, had it x rayed and it's hocks were shot to pieces. This was a money horse too so your friend needs to be clear about what she wants to do, and revet.. Possibly with X-rays.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Actually if there has been a vetting done and either failed or passed it should be provided to the insurance company whether a requirement due to value or not - duty of disclosure

The person who paid for the vetting is the only one who has access to the paperwork - the horse's owner and the next potential buyer have no access to it without the permission of the vet's customer. The insurance company can't possibly ask to see it. You can't tell the insurance company what is in the paperwork, as you haven't seen it. The insurance company is unlikely to ask for a vetting cert, unless the horse is priced over £5000, as I understand it.

Louby

Visit site
My horse failed the vet on a flexion test. He was rising 4 then and is now 13 and touch wood, its never caused any issues.
Talking to my vet further down the line (not the vet who vetted) who said anyone can make a horse present lame if the joint is flexed slightly incorrectly.
I think each case is different, if my boy would have been 12 and failed, then I probably would have walked away. He wasnt overly expensive so I took the chance.

sarah23

Visit site
Thanks guys for all your replies. I will have to do some serious thinking about it. Might just get a load more info about it before I make my mind up but It's good to get other peoples opinion on the matter

annaellie

Visit site
It would not be a massive issue to me, but what would start alarms ringing would be that if it was up for sale for a large amount of money failed one vetting then reduced price quite significantly.
I would be asking why not get your own vet and maybe investigate then redo flexion test as it could of just tweaked something. I would be very wary although as others have said I am also not a fan of flexion tests.

Renvers

Visit site
The fact it failed a flexion test would not bother me necessarily, my own vet at a vetting said that one one day they can fail; on another they will pass.

I would be more cautious if the price had dropped considerably since the vetting. I know you say the owner is keen to downsize but if the horse was worth a lot and she is dropping price significantly you may not be getting the whole story about the vet's judgement of the failure.

If you like the horse that much consider it, but get it vetted yourself. Good luck