Advice request - buying a new horse - Ones from abroad

Visit site
Well after 13 years with my horse who is now 24 and retired I have started the hunt for something new.

I had decided I wanted a 6-8 year old gelding that was well bred and would make a good affilited dressage horse but would jump as well. I have a decent amount to spend.

So I have looked at a few and not seen anything. Now I have come across a horse at a dealers that imports from Holland.

He is exactly what I definitely wasn't going to get as he is 3 and currently in poor condition.

However he is KWPN registered with extremely good bloodlines (including Ferro) with excellent confirmation and movement. He rides more like a five year old and is very responsive to the aids. He was also very well mannered in the stable.

Now I am torn, I have been advised by our YO that horses from abroad are very quiet when they get here and turn into raving lunatics once they build condition and start getting fitter.

What do you think?

MillionDollar

Visit site
I think your YO does have a point as if he is in poor condition he might not have the energy to play up. But once he is fit and well you may have a few problems, don't forget he is only 3 as well so he won't be an angel.

However, my mare, a Danish Warmblood, was imported and i can't fault her in anyway. Shes just brilliant, and great at dressage and jumping. My friend also has an Andulusian imported from Spain last year who is 4 and is a complete saint. Hes won affiliated dressage, qualifying for the regionals and is also talented at jumping. My friend had him after he was gelded and broken-in just 3 months before, and he has never ever been in the least bit naughty! So as long as you are careful he could be the perfect horse.
smile.gif

SillyMare

Visit site
I think your YO is probably making a sweeping generalisation there! If the dealer is reputable and the horse has been transported in a decent fashion then I don't see any reason why a horse 'from abroad' would be more likley to be a lunatic than one from the UK.

However if he is young and in poor condition you can expect him to become a bit more boistrous as he gets fitter / better. You could say the same for any horse regardless of where it came from.

Also because he is 3 you will need to expect the normal baby stuff as he will push the boundries a bit. If you have not had a horse as young as that before then you will need to be sure you have plenty of help on hand.

If he rides more like a 5 year-old then personally I would want to know how much work he has done. I would be very concerned anything big and young that has done more than the absolute basics because their joints are still developing. Could lead to an increased risk of long-term problems.

burtie

Visit site
Personally wouldn't touch him as he rides like a 5 year old, but is only 3, sounds like he;s doena lot of work already and that would concern me a lot.

If I did decided he was worth the risk, I'd turn him a awy for a year to let him chill and mature.

Visit site
He hasn't done a lot of work, in fact he has only been in the UK for a week and was broke 6 weeks prior to being brought over.

The dealer is reputable, only imports and never has anything for very long and sells to people from all over the UK.

Appreciate everybodys comments, guess part of it is about taking the chance on an unproven animal.

Iestyn

Visit site
Go with your gut instinct. If you have him fully vetted and x-rayed and are confident that you can handle a 3 yr old and have the support network to do so - i.e. a very good trainer who has experience with youngsters, then go for it. Out of interest, who is the dealer - I see you're in Lancs and have been looking at a website of a dealer who seems to only have imports and they all look very nice indeed, and at a reasonable price. PM me if you prefer. I'd just like to know about the reputation as will be looking for a youngster to do just what you want to do in the near future.

Visit site
Right I am going ahead *very excited*

He already has a vetting and digital x-rays but am having my vet do a fresh vetting for my peace of mind. So as long as that goes ok .......................

S_V PMd you

appennea

Visit site
Please be careful - have had bad experience of this in past year but this was German warmblood. She has turned out to be very bolshy and have a bad back from being worked as a three year old. WBs bone plates haven't finished hardening until 8 years old maybe. And they carry on getting bigger and more powerful (and I mean powerful) by the week in my case. All said if you have time to wait and take it slowly and treat him like a normal 3 year old you could end up with fantastic horse. Next time I'm getting a tbx welsh! Though having said that by experience is extreme and involved a lot of bad luck.