Advice...To turn away or not...???

KatB

Visit site
Just need some opinions really!! My 4yr old boy has been working hard all year, doing alot of schooling, getting basics established etc, and I feel he could probably do with a break, even though he hasnt really been out competing at all this year. Now I've got a busy schedule for him the next 5wks or so, and was going to turn him away for 6 wks, then bring him back after xmas to start fitness for eventing.

However, a couple of people have said they see this as a waste of an oppurtunity toget him out SJ and dressage over the winter, as he hasnt done much and would be better for him before he goes BE, yet would mean he's had no holiday!!??

Sorry long one, but peoples opinions??

Frazer

Visit site
This is a really tricky question, and without knowing the ins and outs is very hard to make. Do you feel your horse needs a break? Is he coping well with the work ? Or is he slowly loosing concentration due to hes age? Do you think bringing him back into work would be difficult? And what do you want to do?. It all depends on the type of horse, a couple of mine I have turned away for summer or winter, others I see no need. How about giving him a shorter holiday maybe only 2-3weeks. However I also agree that he could be out getting experince in the winter jumping, and dressage! Tuff one. Hope this helps

celia

Visit site
I'm never quite sure what to think about turning away over winter. Part of me thinks it's a welcome break for the horse but the other part thinks it makes a lot of work for you bringing him back up to fitness again and probably isn't viewed very differently to usual for him unless he's ridden loads and/or usually has little turnout. Personally I think I'd only turn away if I had a youngster who needed to mature before he started doing more serious work, otherwise I'd keep him in work - but maybe keep things quite fun and relaxed if you want him to have a 'holiday' of some kind. He then gets a chance to chill out a bit more without losing fitness or forgetting anything you've taught him! It's personal preference really and you know him best!

KatB

Visit site
Well he seems bored with everyday work, but loves going out and about as he hasnt had really any comp experience, and would like him to have more!!

He is going to event next year, so Dresaage and SJ (spec the SJ!!) would be good for him, but I dont want to burn him out and him to have to have a break mid season next year!!

He is not the easiest horse to get fit, he is ISH but a good doer!!
blush.gif
Intheory should have lots of time to get him going from Jan onwards, but its whether doing alot from Jan to April before the eventing will sour him more than spreading it out over the winter with only a small break??!!
confused.gif

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
From what you are saying could you do the next 5 weeks intensive as planned and then ease off a bit and just tootle around doing a bit of hacking?

Appreciate you dont want to lose his fitness. To be honest I would not be too concerned about him having a summer break next year even though the event season will be in full swing. Judging by the last couple of years the ground will be really hard, if you turn him out for a break then you could well save his legs.

KatB

Visit site
Yeah thats probably going to be the best plan... and I know what you mean about the ground, probably induce a compulsory holiday anyway as i REFUSE to run on solid ground, hadnt thought of that, thanks Mrs T!!
smile.gif

mandy4727

Visit site
I haven't got to your stage yet with mine as she is only a yearling. To turn away or not. But if you have a lot of work planned. Giving a rest after the work you have planned might be a good idea. Let him be a horse for a few weeks. He is still only young and you have loads and loads of years ahead of you to compete and up the work etc etc. Or maybe do something different. Pleasure hacks or a some sponsored hacks rather than competing so he can have some fun!!!. But you know your horse better than anyone else. Just bear in mind at 4 years old it is equal to a 15 year old person and you wouldnt expect them to work all the time. They need some fun. Sorry just read this back and it sounds snotty. But it isn't meant to be!!! And hope you don't take it as that!!! After all. I have your horses twin!!!Sure he will let you know but don't let him go stale. He is a lovely horse.

KatB

Visit site
Yep I'm a big advocate of horses being horses, hence him being out all year! Its just the hassle of keeping them fit which is the pain!! But keeping him ticking over gently will prob be best plan.
And no worries, you didnt sound snotty at all!!
smile.gif
And yes, you have my lads future wife me thinks.... he adores himsef so would LOVE a female version..
smile.gif
smile.gif

maestro

www.westonstud.co.uk
Our 4 year old is so straight we decided to give her a break now while she can get some sun on her back. We find lots of little breaks at this age seem to stop them getting stale and gives them time to mature. With a mature 4yr old we dont think they need big breaks just try not to get too serious about their work.

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
I would give him a bread also, a rest is as good as a change, it give the body and mind time to recover. If you are only thinking of a couple of weeks off then he will not loose his fitness as such, horses take much longer to loose there aerobic fitness than, say humans. Besides although the winter comps may give him a bit of experience it is based mainly indoors, which I find some horses react differently too.
best regards
Dawn

4whitesocks

Visit site
My boy has just turned 5 and is only backed a year next month - we have given him a couple of weeks off over the past 5 months since we bought him, and he's now coming back after 3 weeks off, short breaks seem to suit him and I want to keep him going so he can event next year (he needs a lot of flatwork to be able to do anything half decent dressage wise)

Louiseskinner

New User
Visit site
hi i read ur entry on weather to turn ur youngster away or not. i have had quite a few and have one at the moment the same age 4. And he has had about 4 brakes this summer due to hard ground and growing. He gets stuffy now and then to every day wrk, so i turn him away or just lightly hack him for a week 10 days. If urs hasnt had a brake all summer and the winters coming, then i would turn him away while the weathers good and he can really feel the benifit. They always come back happier and stronger for a few weeks off, and u will see the differance his attitude will return to his usual self. I find regular short brakes benefits them more than long long periods. A couple of weeks every 5 or 6 weeks.
i hope this is a liitle bit of help.
gud luck for the future it looks a lovely horse.

KatB

Visit site
Thank you! yes he is lovely, i am biased but i feel very lucky to have him. Decided hes going to have 3 weeks clear off, doing nothing but being a horse, then a couple of weks light hacking before start again after Xmas, its very tempting to keep him going because he is learning so quickly, but I think some time off will sharpen him up, and can only improve things!!
smile.gif