Advice wanted yet again yawn

tarzipan06

Visit site
My friend and I went to see a horse for her to buy today - got potential, however - ex racer - my friend is little more than a novice - she tried him out he was a plod (albeit a skinny plod) , which we felt very sorry for, he's got slight splint on near fore but is sound. I advised that although a plod once he was fit and well fed may well turn into a nutter? Am I right in the presumption? His stable manners were perfect, knocked the price down to over half what the asking was - but is she taking on too much? I will help all I can - she asked my advice and I said to her for him to rest and take the winter off. As it has been an age since I last ownmed a horse (does fat thelwell ponies count?) am I being correct?
As always (yawn) any advice on ex racer owners?
Love T x

_jetset_

Visit site
I have known quite a few ex-racers and with regular lessons from a good instructor (once or twice a week) I have seen novices do very well on them. I think if your friend felt happy when she was on the horse, she should listen to this instinct. I think you sometimes just know when you get on a horse, the two I have are a result of that even though the first one was very young and I was quite a novice and the recent one had not been ridden much since being backed a year ago. Yet I just knew!

I know this is not the best reply, but I hope it has helped a little. If your friend has a good support network and is willing to ask when unsure, I am sure she will be fine. But please, make sure she has lessons!

tarzipan06

Visit site
ah thank you Becki, we both had a gut instinct about him - although not right for me I like a bit of fire and spirit - he currently seemed ok for her a real softie. I am probalbly being paranoid and over protective of my friend - at the end of the day - he can always be retired if not suitable and she was pretty o' fait with that - she only wants to plod and hack, plus she is at an EC with fab facilities and teachers.

beaconhorse

Visit site
Personally I think it comes down a lot to confidence and determination. ie if your friend is a nervous novice then NO she will stand NO CHANCE once he is fit and well fed. If however she is fairly confident and has a determind streak then it could well work out well.

Another thing to consider is common sense and speed of thought. Which may sound daft BUT if your friend is a little slow to react then she may easily miss things that will then grow into big problems (I have seen this so many times)
If however she is quick to react and can spot things that will become a problem if not dealt with then she may do well

Example

I know someone who took on an ex point to point horse as their first horse after many many years off. She was fairly confident to start with BUT missed things and failed to react to minor things like slight napping etc instead of putting leg on and making horse go on she would not realise what he was doing and just sit there. Her horse is now a complete nutter rearing, running backwards etc

It really P***ed me off one day when she said oh I wish I had a horse like yours ARGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Louby

Visit site
My first horse after 5 yrs break from horses was an ex racehorse. She was thin and a plod, that much so I couldnt get her to canter when I tried her out. I thought I was a competent rider so I went for it, after all she was only £800 (this was a few years ago) They delivered her and she was a nutter, I didnt get her vetted and Im sure she was doped when I tried her as I remember the girl slapping her on the chest for no reason!! Looking back, I think she was trying to wake her up! To cut a long story short, I kept her for 18 mths in which time she looked fantastic and I was a nervous wreck and refused to ride her. I since found out I'd bought her off a small time dealer whom I rang up to buy her back out of desperation. They turned up, remembered her and said no they didnt want her back and left. It was such a shame for her as she was really sweet but totally misunderstood by me as I had no experience in ex racers. Im ashamed to say I sold her to a dealer for £250 as I couldnt risk someone knocking on my door saying she'd killed there daughter or something if I'd sold her privately.
Ive learnt much more since, like racers go faster when you take a stronger contact on the rein but I knew nothing about ex racers when I bought her. Sorry to be negative but just wanted to share my experience as ultimately it was the horse that came out worse in my experience and I hate myself for letting her down.
Please be careful, maybe I was just unlucky.

4whitesocks

Visit site
how old is the horse - has it only ever raced and why is it so thin now (those are the questions I would be asking....)
Also what schooling has it had since racing, do you know anyone that might have worked the horse that's not involved in the sale.....what if anything has it done since racing....

it may be the perfect horse for your friend but sounds like you could do with a lot more info before you make a decison, them halving the price for you sounds a bit dodgy to be honest....

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
'knocked the price down to over half what the asking was' does that strike you as being odd, that they would knock it down so much so easily, why are they that desperate to get rid? I would steer away, purely because I think he will be too much for her as a novice to retrain and possibly handle once he has put weight on, and that I would be very dubious as to why they are willing to drop the price so much for a quick sale. (I am rather untrusting though)
hope this helps
Dawn