advice wanted :)

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
Hi everyone. am planning to move yards this month and there are just a couple of things that concern me. I want to make journey and settling in as stressful free for my mare as possible. Has anyone any tips? she is an excellent traveller anyway, but I just want to make her comfortable. I think she may be alarmed that we are moving and just want to keep her happy. she has a travel rug already (fleece thing) but no boots or anything. worth getting do you think? any advice really grateful.

_jetset_

Visit site
If she is good at travelling, I would say boots are entirely up to you... I never travel Hannah in boots because she gets so stressed out about having them on it is not worth it. But I would travel Grace in them in future because she got a small cut on one of her legs on her journey to my yard!

With regards to settling her in... I would say just try to keep your routine and normal as possible once you get to your new yard! With both of mine, they seemed to be worse when I was there looking at them. When I actually left them to settle in, they were quiet and munched on their haynets.

Sorry, this is not much use to you...

archoak

Visit site
Use fleece bandages if you have them with fibergee underneath, we never use boots. I hope your move goes well
smile.gif

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I have never travelled a horse in boots, sometimes they're more hassle than they're worth. If she's good at travelling don't bother. A fleece will be fine. If it's a fair distance then a haynet will keep her busy, and if you can, put her in a leather headcollar.

You'll find if she's travelled before then her first few days at the new yard will be okay. It takes them a while to actually realise they're not at a show and that this is HOME.

not_with_it

Visit site
Make sure your stable at the new yard is all ready for your horse to just walk straight in. Move all your stuff before you move the horse then he will have time to settle on his own.

As for boots I always travel mine in boots. I would use something for protection. I have seen too many accidents not to.