Advice -will he ever snap up his front legs for jumping?

DollyDolls

Visit site
Stanley has a super jump, but he leaves his front legs dangling. The bigger the fence, the higher he jumps but never really snaps up his front legs cleanly.
Fortunately, he rarely if ever has a fence down in front so it doesn't bother him.
Are there any tips to change his action or is that just him?
15-03-09b.jpg

22-02-09a.jpg

Fiona

Visit site
Short (3m) bounce grid seemed to really help my dangly TB to use her shoulders. Not exactly the same (as she DID used to knock the odd fence), but she has been much better this season.

Good luck though.

Fiona

Visit site
My old eventer was similar - grid work, especially with bounces in helped hugely (something like a fence, 1 stride, fence bounce fence, one stride and spread out). Also acute cross poles with the sides really high made her pick up a bit. Combination of the two seemed to help, but ultimately her conformation really limited her. Exercises like that will help a lot, but some horses just physically cannot really lift up in their shoulder - not sure if that applies to yours. Good luck with him anyway!xxx
ps just noticed he is quite tucked up in the second photo so maybe it's not conformation and exercises will improve him...
smile.gif

only_me

Visit site
grids after grids after grids.

The only thing that will help dangly legs I have to say. I will pm you the evidence of how grids helped my boy if you want?

Finnbob

Visit site
would you mind pming me to only_me? I am currently trying grids and steep sided x poles with my little mare to encourage her front end to tuck in and would be great to see your acheivements!

rlhnlk

Visit site
Jumping fences on an angle can help with picking up legs. Also we did a grid where it was an oxer one stride then a bounce with 2 uprights about 90cm. This made mine really sharp infront.

Horsemad12

Visit site
Sounds like he finds getting in the air easy?

My mare is the same and only tucks her legs when the fences start getting bigger (1.10m +) up until that stage she just finds it easier to jump bigger. She very rarely hits one either.

All of the exercises will help, esp the bounces and the v poles.

Good luck!